Work Continues On The Glastron

HammerDown

Last Mohican said:
TintMan said:
The ol guys will tell you that SANDING the rear section of your boat with 320 grit is more effective than speed coat... :smile17:

Makes total sense to me.  Breaking the surface tension will reduce the percent of the bottom that is wet.  There in no denying the dryer the boat the faster it is.

What I get from the theory behind speed coat is that is basically roughs the surface up.  It's kind of like a flat paint.  There are millions of little peaks and valleys as opposed to a shiny surface where it is pretty much smooth.  Each of those valleys ( or peaks depending on how you look at it.) is a place for air to hold.  To exaggerate the theory if the valleys = 50% of the surface you have just reduced the water contact by 50%.  By this theory, what Scott says makes total sense.

Kinda like indexing plugs, it's a tiny advantage BUT to the guy out there looking for every last fraction of a HP it can make the difference.

Just My .02  I'm kinda new at this though so I could be completely of base.

Well said, and when your talking tenths or hundredths at the track, every little bit of tunebility counts. For us weekend warriors, we are probably not going to see any "seat of the pants" difference. Fixing a leaky ineffcient pump thats been neglected for years will probably help out the average lake guy more than anything.

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
Like I said, if it were a boat like Jr's or Mike's I would definitely consider it. But after doing all this work to make it pretty I'll be fine giving up a "possible" 1mph to keep it nice and shiny on the trailer.

Plus the $60 spent on that stuff can get me hardened push rods.. Those I really need!!!

Now take note here guys, here's a guy thats actually thinking. Unlike me that just blows cash on crap that does nothing noticable. I applaud you sir clap.gif

blazeracer

HammerDown said:
blazeracer said:
Like I said, if it were a boat like Jr's or Mike's I would definitely consider it. But after doing all this work to make it pretty I'll be fine giving up a "possible" 1mph to keep it nice and shiny on the trailer.

Plus the $60 spent on that stuff can get me hardened push rods.. Those I really need!!!

Now take note here guys, here's a guy thats actually thinking. Unlike me that just blows cash on crap that does nothing noticable. I applaud you sir clap.gif

Back in the day we used to always say "Watch out for the guy that has a primer car with a nice rumble. He's putting his money where it counts." LOL

blazeracer

First attempt at shooting metal flake on a test panel....

IMMENSE FAILURE!!

I'll get smaller flake on Monday and try again.

FOR SALE: One pound of .025 blue glitter. LOL

Unless we can collectively come up with a way to spread this stuff evenly. My flake gun with a .025 tip won't shoot .025 flake. I mean it shoots, but barely. Plus now looking at flake that's blue only... The original has a touch of green and silver in it and the flake is about 1/3 the size of this gigantic stuff.

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
Crusader said:
Any progress this weekend James?

Naaa, went to Six Flags. I have the new flake ordered and will have it tomorrow.

Well I'll tell ya what Blaze, you inspired me. I went to work on my scoop this weekend and let me say this. I have no patients for body work...lol.

blazeracer

HammerDown said:
Well I'll tell ya what Blaze, you inspired me. I went to work on my scoop this weekend and let me say this. I have no patients for body work...lol.

With Saturday's metal flake disaster I had to push away from the table and come back later. So Six Flags it was yesterday. Amazing how 65mph on a roller coaster can make you forget stuff.. LOL

I'll be back for another round tomorrow. The jar of flake I need is in Fort Worth now, I could go get it and reshoot the test panel today. Or it will be here at the Garland store tomorrow.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
blazeracer said:
HammerDown said:

With Saturday's metal flake disaster I had to push away from the table and come back later. So Six Flags it was yesterday. Amazing how 65mph on a roller coaster can make you forget stuff.. LOL

I'll be back for another round tomorrow. The jar of flake I need is in Fort Worth now, I could go get it and reshoot the test panel today. Or it will be here at the Garland store tomorrow.

So how was the drive to Ft. Worth???

blazeracer

Last Mohican said:
blazeracer said:
HammerDown said:

So how was the drive to Ft. Worth???

LOLOL.. Never went. I stayed and fixed fridges instead. I have a set of aluminum heads to pay for..

blazeracer

Last Mohican said:
blazeracer said:
LOLOL.. Never went. I stayed and fixed fridges instead. I have a set of aluminum heads to pay for..

I know that had to be killin you to wait a day.  LOL.

I'm actually not too excited about this painting crap. It's a real PITA.. What's really killing me is the motor being in a thousand pieces. I was fixin to install the pistons a couple weekends ago and realized... CRAP!! I have to get these biaatchez fly cut before they can go in. Can't get em fly cut till the heads are here.. Once the motor is assembled on the stand, then I'll be kicking everything else in high gear.

EDIT.. Enough jacking around... got them aluminum chunks ordered.

blazeracer

I think business has been good enough lately it won't put too big a dent in the checkbook. Now combine the heads with the interior being done on Friday, that leaves a good dent.. LOL  But it should be made up by Friday....... hopefully.

blazeracer

Finally picked up the flake today from J&J paint supply on Garland Rd. I must say, the House Of Kolor flake shoots WAAAAAY better than the Ebay crap I bought. Unfortunately, I used black krylon shot on a washer lid for my test panel and the mid coat the flake is mixed in ate the crap out of the black. At least I have a good read on the color though.

I just shot another washer lid with the black marine paint that's on the boat. I'll flake it tomorrow morning. Everything is polyurethane so buckling shouldn't be a problem...

Here's a pic, but you get no idea of how awesome the colors are from the camera phone.

Attachments

• TestPanel.jpg
    TestPanel.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 195

WAFOBABY

James u might want to post another PIC lol  think.gif  House of color paint is great paint Chroma Base paint is also really good and easy to spray.