Work Continues On The Glastron

blazeracer

Spent a couple hours wet sanding and getting ready for the second coat. I was pretty discouraged by how it looked. Pretty much like crap. I was almost going to try to roll and tip a small section to see how that came out. Then common sense kicked in and said "stick with the plan".

First coat was reduced about 10-12% and shot at 40psi.

Second coat was reduced only 5% and shot at 65psi.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Shot the split bowl and droop also. It looks like a keeper now.

Attachments

• bottom12.jpg
    bottom12.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 129
  • bottom13.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 143
  • bottom14.jpg
    bottom14.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 146
  • pump4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 142

blazeracer

I'm going to go get some clear tomorrow at some time. I need to get a quart of light blue also to spray under the metal flake. I'll spray the light blue tomorrow for the hook that goes under the rub rail.

Text me before you come by Matt to make sure I'm there. I have some service calls to attend to in the morning but should be around in the afternoon.

Red Horse

That thing is starting to shape up. It looks good.

Bet you will anchor off the shore for at least the first few years with all that work you put into it.

blazeracer

Red Horse said:

Bet you will anchor off the shore for at least the first few years with all that work you put into it.

Naaa, I'm not worried about a little sand rash on the keel, but after seeing all the sand in my block I'll push it out to deeper water to fire it up. I won't beach it again either, I'll walk it in from now on.

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
Red Horse said:

Naaa, I'm not worried about a little sand rash on the keel, but after seeing all the sand in my block I'll push it out to deeper water to fire it up. I won't beach it again either, I'll walk it in from now on.

Man it looks good!

Crusader

It sure does look good. I just returned from James' shop and saw the Glastron first hand.....he's doing a great job!!

blazeracer

Crusader said:
It sure does look good. I just returned from James' shop and saw the Glastron first hand.....he's doing a great job!!

Thanks Cliff..

Of course I'm not going to leave it all white. Next is to metal flake in the infamous Glastron hook on the back. First you have to lay down a black base coat for the the flake...

More to follow...

Attachments

• bottom15.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 188
  • bottom16.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 178
  • bottom17.jpg
    bottom17.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 181
  • bottom18.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 200

blazeracer

Matt asked what I was using for paint..

Interlux Brightside. It's a one part polyurethane with UV stuff and some crap in it that makes it lay out great. You reduce it with Xylene, same stuff used to clean up fiberglass resin. I guess because the Xylene evaporates slow it gives the paint time to lay flat??

The flake will be sprayed using Color Blender polyurethane number MPB-500 as the carrier, then the whole thing will get clear coated with a two part polyurethane clear buffed to a high shine.

Then we'll flip it back over and get after the top side, which will have very little white and LOTS of glitter work in multiple colors.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 170

Crusader

DiamondJim said:
Why don't you sppedcoat the last three feet of the bottom, since ya got it turned over?

Hmmmmmmmm  think.gif , that's a great idea. James.......what do ya think? This idea might give you an MPH or two.......and really eat those GM's up.

jdeaton

Sorry, you can't get sppedcoat anymore, the EPA took it off the market, you can still get speedcoat.  And you thought I messpilled it didn't you?

Crusader

DiamondJim said:
Sorry, you can't get sppedcoat anymore, the EPA took it off the market, you can still get speedcoat.  And you thought I messpilled it didn't you?

To be honest, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. Lol.