Ordered some new goodies.

jdeaton

The single plane will give you quicker response time, thus resulting in a better hole shot.  The tunnel ram will deliver more HP at a higher RPM and in a smaller rpm range, typical is 3500 to 5500 rpm.  It's just what the driver wants, both have their advantages and their weak areas.  Just My .02 

73 Sanger Flat

Loren - that dam money tree is the problem .. I like a single set up myself but I know we are giving up some power not going with a tunnel ram .. But I think this will keep me busy getting used to the extra power for a while .. Maybe later .. It just expensive to change over to a tunnel ram

Carnivalride

DiamondJim said:
The single plane will give you quicker response time, thus resulting in a better hole shot.  The tunnel ram will deliver more HP at a higher RPM and in a smaller rpm range, typical is 3500 to 5500 rpm.  It's just what the driver wants, both have their advantages and their weak areas.  Just My .02
You've obviously never run a set up tunnel ram and carbs then. The disdvantages to a tunnel ram are cost, weight, linkage and plumbing complication. Drive ability, response and power are all as good or better.

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Loren - that dam money tree is the problem .. I like a single set up myself but I know we are giving up some power not going with a tunnel ram .. But I think this will keep me busy getting used to the extra power for a while .. Maybe later .. It just expensive to change over to a tunnel ram
I fully understand the expense part and not having a money tree. I do think you're going to see it wanting to rpm way better with the new heads. A lot of guys port those single planes and make excellent hp so maybe your new intake will close the gap up some. You did great with your new parts get it together and enjoy it.  :smile30:

galen

Carnivalride said:
I do have to ask since this is a high compression 598 with a set of heads that flow 440cfm at .800 lift why not a Dart tunnel ram or something similar? I still think a pair of. 1050s on a good tunnel ram will make more hp and tq than any single plane.

Ya I might be stirring the pot but that's just me, I had to ask.
I agree Loren, just a money thing at the moment. Going to try it with Billys carb, then do a same day test with my SV1. After talking to EO a cam change to match the heads would also help.

73 Sanger Flat

Picking up the MLS head gaskets and the new Harland Sharp 1.8 rockers today from EO ..
Maybe after the first of the year and we don't have any more of the ice crap . I can start on this upgrade.. Hell yesterday I went and looked at the boat and it had about 1 inch of ice in the bottom of it from where the shop leaked with all the ice on top of it . It made the roof panels sag down and then they dripped water into the boat .. I guess I should have covered it up with the cover . Oh well . Freaking Ice storm sucks !!!  The ice was still melting off of the top of the shop yesterday ..
Need me a heater out there for bad days ..

Knotty Girl

Picking up the MLS head gaskets and the new Harland Sharp 1.8 rockers today from EO ..
Maybe after the first of the year and we don't have any more of the ice crap . I can start on this upgrade.. Hell yesterday I went and looked at the boat and it had about 1 inch of ice in the bottom of it from where the shop leaked with all the ice on top of it . It made the roof panels sag down and then they dripped water into the boat .. I guess I should have covered it up with the cover . Oh well . Freaking Ice storm sucks !!!  The ice was still melting off of the top of the shop yesterday ..

Don't be mess that pretty boat up.  think.gif  :smile16:

customtouch

Just put a drop light in it.  :grin:  Had to say it. :smile14:

Knotty Girl

customtouch said:

Just put a drop light in it.  :grin:  Had to say it. :smile14:

That is funny.  clap.gif

73 Sanger Flat

I was thinking of putting about 5 heat lamps in the shed to help melt the ice off of it .. or a propane heater... If we have another ice storm , it will have a small propane heater running i it next time ..  That is funny - drop light , don't think so .. My engine is full of that pink RV antifreeze ..
She will get covered up as soon as I can get her dried back out .. Saturday the door will be open and fans running to make sure the inside the boat is dry before I put the cover on it .. I am just glad the roof did not come down . It is 36" x 40" roof  slopping to one side

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You guys must be having fun up there. I got a load of stone in from Mckinny yesterday and the boxes were full of ice. crazy.gif

73 Sanger Flat

It has not been fun so far ..  The freaking Ice is still on the ground and on the roofs . I am sick of that white stuff .. I want it to be about 70* and sunny for Winter

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It has not been fun so far ..  The freaking Ice is still on the ground and on the roofs . I am sick of that white stuff .. I want it to be about 70* and sunny for Winter
That's why we live in the South. They are forecasting 70 deg for us next week. That is before the next cold front hits! :smile20:

jimsplace

I was thinking of putting about 5 heat lamps in the shed to help melt the ice off of it .. or a propane heater... If we have another ice storm , it will have a small propane heater running i it next time ..  That is funny - drop light , don't think so .. My engine is full of that pink RV antifreeze ..
She will get covered up as soon as I can get her dried back out .. Saturday the door will be open and fans running to make sure the inside the boat is dry before I put the cover on it .. I am just glad the roof did not come down . It is 36" x 40" roof  slopping to one side

Are you saying you keep your boat in a 36" X 40" shed?
It's no wonder you got water in the boat, put it in a bigger shed.

:smile17:
        Stay warm --

KONA77

jimsplace said:

Stay warm --

:laugh: :laugh:  I'd find a bigger place too

ChryslerJet

KONA said:
jimsplace said:

Stay warm --

:laugh: :laugh:  I'd find a bigger place too

I don't think that sloping roof could even cover that motor of yours no wonder you also need a cover.  What do you do back the boat under it so that it can cover your motor? 

jimsplace

Ok I screwed up .. I it should in feet and not inches .. I know that what she said too / HaHa

You can tell who your friends are.  "We've got your back covered."  :smile16:  :smile16:
    Stay warm.

73 Sanger Flat

OK- Picked up the new MLS head gaskets and the 1.8 rockers Friday from EO .. Maybe after the first of the year I will start tearing into it . Only need to buy the heavier wall pushrods and intake gasket now . Hoping the 1.8 rockers will work without have to do any cutting on these new heads for the pushrods clearance ..

duanehydro

SSOOOOO....basically, you want custom aftermarket parts to fall together perfectly, with no issues? That's just precious. :grin: