My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

SyTy Speed Shop

Ok,  just got done looking at the Tahiti, it's got a junk SBC that filled with water and an OMC outdrive, the outdrive probably needs the usual maintenance, impeller and oil change and the bellows is ripped so that needs replaced.  From what I've read I don't think that OMC would hold up to the 454 I have in the garage so either swap to a different drive or rebuild the SBC or was thinking an LS swap would be cool too.  Overall the floor and stringers seems decent, seat mounts in front need redone, new carpet and the trailer needs new tires.  Clear titles for boat and trailer and I offered 1k and he said he would go to 1200 but that was it.

OK, after doing more research, the boat has an 800 series stringer mount OMC which from what i cant tell wasnt all that great of a set up even when new, and they cant really take alot of power, so seeing as the engine is a scrap piece, not sure what a used sterndrive is worth in unknown condition.  My thought was to swap the SBC for the BBC 454 i have in my garage, but im pretty sure the OMC wouldnt take that for very long.

Would it be worth it to buy this boat and convert it to a jet? IM honetly thinking no, but wanted to get some others thoughts.

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Ok,  just got done looking at the Tahiti, it's got a junk SBC that filled with water and an OMC outdrive, the outdrive probably needs the usual maintenance, impeller and oil change and the bellows is ripped so that needs replaced.  From what I've read I don't think that OMC would hold up to the 454 I have in the garage so either swap to a different drive or rebuild the SBC or was thinking an LS swap would be cool too.  Overall the floor and stringers seems decent, seat mounts in front need redone, new carpet and the trailer needs new tires.  Clear titles for boat and trailer and I offered 1k and he said he would go to 1200 but that was it.

OK, after doing more research, the boat has an 800 series stringer mount OMC which from what i cant tell wasnt all that great of a set up even when new, and they cant really take alot of power, so seeing as the engine is a scrap piece, not sure what a used sterndrive is worth in unknown condition.  My thought was to swap the SBC for the BBC 454 i have in my garage, but im pretty sure the OMC wouldnt take that for very long.

Would it be worth it to buy this boat and convert it to a jet? IM honetly thinking no, but wanted to get some others thoughts.

In my opinion, no. There have been other boats in that price range that wouldn't require that much work, let alone converting it over to a jet. I'd keep looking.

Devilman

Little more money, but appears it needs motor only. http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5749301106.html

00a0a_2JcEwQuZ3Aq_600x450.jpg

Taylor SS... http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/5808434356.html

00Q0Q_kLBuooCxCDO_600x450.jpg

This is a bit of a drive... but different. Can't say I've ever seen one of these running around.... http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/5708876697.html

00n0n_1DK28lYwfmH_600x450.jpg

SyTy Speed Shop

Chevy2184 said:
That Taylor seems like a pretty damn good deal...

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, how good is that hull?  Any idea of speed potential it has in its current condition?

I also saw this one over by Austin today, 72 Sidewinder, the 454 i have would look pretty good in the back of it!!  LOL

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5797010416.html

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, how good is that hull?  Any idea of speed potential it has in its current condition?

I also saw this one over by Austin today, 72 Sidewinder, the 454 i have would look pretty good in the back of it!!  LOL

Far as I know, the Taylor SJ, (like the purple & white one with no title) & the Taylor SS share the same bottom, just the tops are different. I would say the SS would be a bit heavier due to the weight of the extra material making up the rear portion of it, but it may not be all that much. Long as the pump is in good shape & engine running good, I would think at least a 60 mph boat, maybe a bit more with some tweaking?

Knotty Girl

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Chevy2184 said:
That Taylor seems like a pretty damn good deal...

Hull does not have full length stringers, not good in my opinion.

Drumzilla

I saw on Facebook that the guy selling the purple and white Taylor SJ got the title problem fixed. He said the title should get to him in two weeks....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/5765693144.html

SyTy Speed Shop

DrumZilla said:
I saw on Facebook that the guy selling the purple and white Taylor SJ got the title problem fixed. He said the title should get to him in two weeks....

Yeah I saw that too.  Was talking to him a bit on the FB page last night.  It's def more desirable with a good title!

Knotty Girl

DrumZilla said:

Does not look bad

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
I can help with BBf questions! :smile17:

I do like the paint scheme of that SJ too, and the BBF seems to be a decent setup on the water as well.

Update:  just seen where the guy with the SJ in Dallas posted he would take 2200 for it for the next three days!  It's gonna be another week or so before I have the cash but he is def wanting to get rid of it!

I also found this one on ebay with a 3500 starting bid, reserve not met, found the local CL post with a 6500 obo asking price, looks nice for a completely redone boat, CL says ti does over 60, ebay says about 65 with the 383 SBC.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5792961637.html

SyTy Speed Shop

While doing more searching today on good ole CL I came across this in Joplin MO, and I must say it's really got my interest peaked as it's cool as hell looking,  and vintage and from what I've read most of these Rayson-Crafts were v-drives and this one looks to have a Berkeley JG pump in it, but no engine and not sure yet what it had originally, but the guy is asking 800 with the trailer and to me that doesn't seem to bad.

What are some others thinking on this?  From what I've read these were some very well made boats.

http://joplin.craigslist.org/boa/5765672827.html

Chevy2184

Once again that no title part would make me run! 😎 either one of those boats is going to need a fair amount of work to have a nice a shinny boat that you are gonna be proud of... If you are gonna pour that much sweat equity into something... Make sure the paperwork is square! Just my .02

SyTy Speed Shop

Chevy2184 said:
Once again that no title part would make me run! 😎 either one of those boats is going to need a fair amount of work to have a nice a shinny boat that you are gonna be proud of... If you are gonna pour that much sweat equity into something... Make sure the paperwork is square! Just my .02

Well for pre 72 boats that never had HIN numbers and especially if the boat has never been registered in TX before you just have to have it registered as what it is and they will issue an HIN for it along with a title, atleast that's the story i got when i called texas wildlife.

Also just called and talked to the guy, story is this boat was custom ordered by the owner of the Oklahoma City newspaper back in 68 and he wanted an 18ft marathon hull with the jet pump and while not 100% sure on what engine it had originally, alot of the v-drives in this vintage ran ford FE engines.  Guy said the boat needs restored, but the hull, stringers and transom are all super solid, no stress cracks but the gel coat is pretty beat so it will need new gel coat and or painted and he doesn't have the interior, but thinks it originally had a front bench seat and two rearward facing seat on either side of the engine.  Original steering and foot pedal but needs new cables.  Has the original saddle tanks in it as well, and he thinks the Berkley pump is original as well.  He also has a friend that comes to MO a few times a month from the Houston area that would be willing to pull it back for me to save the trip, gonna get more pics later today.  Also, the guy has some BBC engine mounts and wet manifolds and snails he would include with the boat as well, so i could drop the 454 i have in it.  Also it looks to have a split bowl pump as well so easy to upgrade.

SyTy Speed Shop

Little update, the guy has BBC Hardin wet manifolds, no engine mounts, but the boat does have some mounts in it for whatever engine it did have, and the old alternator is there as well, sent me quit a few new pics in better quality, boat seems pretty solid.  Made a deal of 750 for the boat,trailer and BBC wet manifolds and he has a buddy that lives in the Houston area that will be up there Halloween weekend that has agreed to tow it back for me, so front door delivery isn't to bad, wont be paying any money till i look it over in person, so i feel he is being honest on its condition.

I also came up with a build plan for the engine, i think a 427 would be a more appropriate engine for this boat, so im gonna take the gen 6 block i have and get a 3.76 stroke gm forged crank to make the 47 along with new forged pistons and rods.  Gonna get a set of AFR 265CC Magnum Oval Port heads along with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI intake and not sure on cam specs yet, but the heads flow air all the way to .650 and are designed for 427-468 cubes with a max of 6200 and according to AFR can make 700HP and tons of torque with the right setup, im only looking to make 550-600 as this wont be a race boat and i want it to be reliable.  One cam im looking at is a 242/248@.050 with .566 lift on a 112LSA, have it custom ground with the only change being .650ish lift. this is a comp xtreme marine HR, says good jet boat cam with an A or B impeller, just want more lift to take advantage of the heads flow.

Heres the pics:

IMG_0775_zpsmw8tttv1.jpg

IMG_0776_zpsdubxabip.jpg

IMG_0777_zpserg1f1un.jpg

IMG_0778_zpswnzdqi2w.jpg

IMG_0779_zps0rz4qcmt.jpg

IMG_0780_zps8mm4wpvc.jpg

IMG_0781_zpskpphzhmj.jpg

IMG_0782_zpsy0q7p5pi.jpg

IMG_0783_zps8pdoxibm.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsolbkjn3w.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsdtae690u.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsv6trsfrc.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsksldelos.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsjbcec59l.jpg

Devilman

Looks heavy... but Raysoncrafts supposed to be built like a tank from what I've read about them. Guy here used to have a Raysoncraft with a jet, but it didn't look like this one. Hope it works out for ya, make a cool old cruiser when done.

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
Looks heavy... but Raysoncrafts supposed to be built like a tank from what I've read about them. Guy here used to have a Raysoncraft with a jet, but it didn't look like this one. Hope it works out for ya, make a cool old cruiser when done.

Yeah i haven't been able to find out much info, but im thinking the empty hull is somewhere in the 1500lb  range which isn't to bad, the 72 sea ray i had the hull was 2K lbs. 

Also, the guy is having his buddy pull the boat from Joplin MO to Houston and no money is exchanging hands till i actually see and inspect the boat, so i feel the guy is being honest with the description and its condition otherwise his buddy is pulling it back for nothing.

Also, i think its time to go ahead and close this thread and start a new one for the new project.

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Yeah i haven't been able to find out much info, but im thinking the empty hull is somewhere in the 1500lb  range which isn't to bad, the 72 sea ray i had the hull was 2K lbs. 

Also, the guy is having his buddy pull the boat from Joplin MO to Houston and no money is exchanging hands till i actually see and inspect the boat, so i feel the guy is being honest with the description and its condition otherwise his buddy is pulling it back for nothing.

Also, i think its time to go ahead and close this thread and start a new one for the new project.

Cool deal for sure if he's willing to let it be hauled out to you to look at before dropping any cash. Keep us posted. :smile17: