My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
Can't complain about a free tow, and the chance to inspect it first! :smile17:

Yes i completely agree.  Also in my searching for more info on this boat, i came across a rayson-craft resources website with some cool pics and old advertisement photos and found this ad and from the pics of the boat this looks very very close to the one im getting.  Says its an 18' ad was offered in Ford 428 or Chevy 396 power, i think from the layout this one had the ford 428, im gonna put a chevy 427 back in it.  And the complete boat with Jet power was 4895.  Not exactly sure what year this ad was from but like i said, this is the closest Ive found for a hull that looks like the one im buying.  Also at the bottom it says empty hull weight of about 900lbs, which to me doesn't seem to bad at all, and i like how the ad says the hull is strong enough to handle any amount of horsepower you want to run!!

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
Sure looks like the same boat, especially when comparing pics of the transom.

Yeah i thought so as well.  I guess it was just simply called the 18, no real model name.  Does 900lbs for the empty hull seem heavy, or is it about average for an 18' boat?

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Yeah i thought so as well.  I guess it was just simply called the 18, no real model name.  Does 900lbs for the empty hull seem heavy, or is it about average for an 18' boat?

It seems on the heavy side to me, but gotta consider the era when it was built & what it was possibly built to do. You mentioned it was purchased because the guy wanted a marathon hull. Not knowing exactly what that is, it sounds like it was built heavy duty to take some abuse...

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Marathon runs were like endurance runs. Usually involved allot of hours on choppy water from what I read. So I would imagine that thing was built like a tank. :smile30:

Devilman

First thing that came to mind was Catalina Ski Racing back in the old days when it was still done with little boats. That could be some rough ass water at times I'm sure so guess I wasn't too far off. :smile14:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
First thing that came to mind was Catalina Ski Racing back in the old days when it was still done with little boats. That could be some rough A$$ water at times I'm sure so guess I wasn't too far off. :smile14:
Pretty much! I read an article on Cream puff. A popular marathon boat back in the day built by Rayson Craft.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cream-puff-saga-craziest-1960s-marathon-boat-history/

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
Devilman said:
First thing that came to mind was Catalina Ski Racing back in the old days when it was still done with little boats. That could be some rough A$$ water at times I'm sure so guess I wasn't too far off. :smile14:
Pretty much! I read an article on Cream puff. A popular marathon boat back in the day built by Rayson Craft.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cream-puff-saga-craziest-1960s-marathon-boat-history/

Maybe i should see if i can find an Allison aircraft engine instead!!  LOL

SyTy Speed Shop

clap.gif
soldier of fortune said:
500.00 located in Orange, Texas , but can bring to Houston area

Not a bad deal at all and I'm very interested, may take me a few weeks to get the cash together but I will def buy it from you.  Is it cross drilled?

SyTy Speed Shop

soldier of fortune said:
just glance over at the box, not cross drilled, and its a standard/standard, new in box

OK, i don't think the cross drilled really did anything and seems the modern consensus its not worth it to do it.  But i was also just looking for a crankshaft for an LS1 im rebuilding and happen to find out that in the newer 6500/7500 Kodiak and Top Kick trucks they will offered a 427 for the one piece rear seal blocks.  I can get a remanufactured forged steel one piece rear seal crank for about 272 plus shipping, and that's with a $75 core charge, so i may go this route to save a few bucks depending on if i can get one that is 10/10.  Id love to get a new one, but with yours id have to run a rear seal adapter since i have a gen 6 roller cam one piece rear seal.

I will let you know which way i end up going. 

SyTy Speed Shop

soldier of fortune said:
you right, cheap route is always there, Ls is what you need

I wouldn't call it the cheap route, cheaper yes, but a forged crank is a forged crank, i was looking at all the specs and the older 427 crank is the same weight as the newer 1 piece seal 427 crank and im planning on having everything balanced so i think it should be good for the ~600HP im looking to make.

I thought about putting an LS engine in it, but since this boat was originally offered with either a Ford 427FE or a 396BBC, a 427 BBC seems like the perfect engine for it being a 68!

Ok, got another question about the driveline setup.  I decided i want to make this as reliable as possible and since my power goals are ~650HP im gonna get the 1350 driveline, and found one brand new on ebay for 295, and came across this PTO adaptor which i think i will need to go between the flexplate on the crank and the driveline itself.  Just want to make sure im getting the correct parts before i buy them.  Thanks

PTO Adapter  http://www.ebay.com/itm/262691705551?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1350 Driveline http://www.ebay.com/itm/141369630133?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

SyTy Speed Shop

Saw this today, what is everyone's thoughts on it?  Was thinking about getting it for parts, scraping the hull and selling the trailer.

http://houston.craigslist.org/bpo/5847800670.html