My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
Probably cheaper to fix the Ford!  :smile30:

Yeah probably since he says he has most of the parts to fix it already.

the title thing is the worst part and probably the biggest reason this boat hasn't sold yet.  But even if the boat itself doesn't match the title, as long as you can register it with the proper agency does it really make that much difference other than when its time to sell it to someone else?  Trailer can be done as a homemade which isn't that hard and under 4K lbs doesn't require inspection. 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
On the title, that's kind of tricky. I would say, that you can get it registered. If you ever get inspected by the Game Warden, you may have allot of explaining to do. Just ask Drumzilla. He has a  story about them inspecting his stuff! :smile30:

Devilman

Did the guy say why he didn't have a title for the boat? It could be a simple as filing for lost title/registration.  As you say, the trailer is little easier to handle, but you definitely want the paperwork on the boat to jive. Having to possibly explain why it doesn't is a situation you most likely will want to avoid. :grin:

Disturbed

That 79 Taylor will have a HIN.  (Hull Identification Number)  You will need a rubbing of the number accompanying your title and registration paperwork.  This MUST all jive.  Anything other than that is fraud and punishable in a court of law.

Chevy2184

And what if you dump some coin into the boat getting it all dolled up... And someone shows up with the title saying "hey" that's my boat... By by boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyTy Speed Shop

Chevy2184 said:
And what if you dump some coin into the boat getting it all dolled up... And someone shows up with the title saying "hey" that's my boat... By by boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a valid point, and all the guy said was that the title he had didn't match the boat, didn't really elaborate on why it didn't.  I think im gonna pass on it just for these reasons, plus its a 4hr drive away, if it were local id atleast go look at it but for now the search continues.

Devilman

I think this is Henry's old boat....?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5796655176.html

00P0P_1q5mLf7jwYd_1200x900.jpg

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
I think this is Henry's old boat....?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5796655176.html

00P0P_1q5mLf7jwYd_1200x900.jpg

This one has nice lines, although the cracked hull scares me a bit.  What engine did this have in it if its Henry's old boat?

Just talked to the guy, had a big inch 500+ ford in it, said the PO was doing about 95 when he hit a hard wave or something in the water and cracked the hull and was taking on water pretty good.  Crack is about 10" long under the passenger seat area.  The current owner is Mike of the now out of business Mikes  Pump and Speed of Houston, said he rebuilt the pump with a bronze wear ring and a SS impeller.  Apparently before the hull was cracked the boat was redone by central texas jets.  I like it and he isn't that far from me so i may go check it out, but i think the asking price is on the high side.

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
This one has nice lines, although the cracked hull scares me a bit.  What engine did this have in it if its Henry's old boat?

I know it can be done, but I'm not sure what's involved in fixing that to be honest. At one time it had a big ass Ford in it, but after Henry sold it not sure what the other folks did with it.

SyTy Speed Shop

Knotty said:
That was a nice boat when I dad it. I had a 557 ford and it ran very good. The crack can be fixed easy I would think.

Yeah looks nice, and when talking to Mike who has it now he said he called a few repair shops and said to fix it right it has to be done from the inside so that means pulling up the floor and removing the interior or part of it atleast.  Probably not a hard job.

With the boats current condition, what would be a fair asking price?

Knotty Girl

Price is always a funny thing. On these type boats the value really is what the seller and buyer agree on. I get tickled at those who say something is too high or low. There is no book value on these. I think offering $2500 to $2700 would be a good start but that is just an opinion. He's asking price I think is a little on the high end. The value of the trailer is a factor also.

SyTy Speed Shop

Knotty said:
Price is always a funny thing. On these type boats the value really is what the seller and buyer agree on. I get tickled at those who say something is too high or low. There is no book value on these. I think offering $2500 to $2700 would be a good start but that is just an opinion. He's asking price I think is a little on the high end. The value of the trailer is a factor also.

Yeah you are right, and as my dad always says, its only worth what someone is willing to give for it!  But i was thinking around the 2500 range myself.