My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

SyTy Speed Shop

OK, i was cruising my local CL and came across an ad for a 1974 Sea Ray speed boat, and what it actually turned out to be was a 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with a 455 Olds and Berkeley 12JC-A jet drive.  Boat is about 19.5' long and from what Ive been able to google, the boat weighs about 3K lbs without gas passengers and gear, so its def not going to be a 100mph blaster, im thinking it should still be good for 50-60MPH and have a nice smooth ride to it.

I'm looking for something that will be reasonably fast and have some fun, pull some skiers/tubes and just enjoy the lake.  Plus i was unaware they even made these as most Ive seen are stern drive. 

My google searches haven't found much, and my first car was a 68 Olds with a 455 and i built a couple different engines for it so i know my way around the 455 with no problems, according to the hour meter it shows 601 and the current owner got it from the original owner and it all seems legit. 

Just trying to find out if this thing is worth messing with, it needs a new floor and complete new upholstery.  Mechanically its supposed to be good to go.  Needs a new ignition switch as there is no key, Also will need new throttle controls for the engine, and im more than likely going to install all new steering controls as well just the eliminate any issues down the road. 

mr rogers

Would definitely make for a nice cruiser. That thing probably has a fairly smooth ride, and looks to be quite roomy inside. Like you said most were equipped with stern drives,so makes it sorta unique. Give me a call if I can help. Mike (Central Texas Jets)  979-451-2775

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a cruiser, I have no clue as to the potential speed of it. I do know you have to watch them Olds motors and their oiling system! :smile30:

jdeaton

Mechanic at work, father owns a boat dealership in Mobile.  Says check the transom for rot.  The earlier Sea Rays have a history of a faulty bonding process when they laminated the glass over the inside of the transom. 

Disturbed

Reminds me of my old Glastron.  It was about the same size and it also had a 455.  It was good for around 50 mph. 

ChryslerJet

If the stringers are shot the transom probably is as well.  It will be a long haul and expensive process but if you enjoy it and keep it then it will be worth it.  It is a bit unique but its also the old standard searay up top so to me it is not really all that fashionable.  just my two cents which is not worth much but if it were me and I got it for $500 or less I would do it.

SyTy Speed Shop

ChryslerJet said:
If the stringers are shot the transom probably is as well.  It will be a long haul and expensive process but if you enjoy it and keep it then it will be worth it.  It is a bit unique but its also the old standard searay up top so to me it is not really all that fashionable.  just my two cents which is not worth much but if it were me and I got it for $500 or less I would do it.

Well i went and put eyes on it yesterday and to me from what i could see atleast the stringers and transom were solid.  Hour meter showed just over 600 which i think for its age is pretty good.

And your in the ballpark as far as asking price, but I'm looking at the less side for sure.  Oil in the engine looked super clean and hasn't been changed in atleast two years.

This has the 12JC-A pump on it, is it worth the expense to install a bigger unit or what upgrades are available to help this thing as far as speed and efficiency.  I already know the 455 is not a fuel miser, as my first car was a 68 Delta Custom with a 455 and got about 10MPG overall.  LOL

As far as looks year pretty standard up top, but id like to do something different with the seats and def the color scheme, as originally it was white and green, that ugly 70's green lol.  I know i can make some upgrades to the 455 to increase power and address the oiling issues they have, my 68 spun the main and rod bearings so I'm been into these engines before.  They can make some good power and torque just don't like alot of RPM.  That's why i was asking about upgrading the jet to get more speed without needing to get much over 5K rpms. 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
The pump is fine. You can put a G bowl on it, and then you have some options as to snoot and what not, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. Get it structurally sound, and running, and you'll be fine. :smile17: Be prepared to spend some time on the floor and stringers. It is not a fast process! It's always easier to buy something running than to take one all the way down and re-build it! :smile30: Ask CJ. It's been how many years? think.gif

SyTy Speed Shop

Yeah def easier.  And supposedly with a new ignition switch, battery and some fuel this thing will run.  But we all know how that goes...

To be honest, the guy is asking 500 for it, im gonna see if i can get him down alittle because if all else fails, the engine and jet drive are worth that alone!!

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
Be prepared to spend some time on the floor and stringers. It is not a fast process! It's always easier to buy something running than to take one all the way down and re-build it! :smile30: Ask CJ. It's been how many years? think.gif
No kidding finding time is harder than it seems.  Especially now that the twins are in High school seems like all my weekends are tied up in volunteering for the band and when they are not we are traveling for the games.
The poor CJ, Going to have to get the motors up and running this fall and winter in the garage might get me going on the rest of it.

SyTy Speed Shop

I also have a 96 454 complete engine with the EFI and wiring and computer, i have all new comp cams valvetrain and 1.72 rocker arms for it along with a ZZ502 cam.  i was planning on swapping this into my Tahoe Limited along with a 4L80e trans and 2500 converter i have, but im thinking it could be a much better setup for this old sled!!

I can rework the wiring harness to make it stand alone as id love to keep the EFI.  Would have to find some headers that would work with the thru transom exhaust, as this boats hull is alittle tall to try and go over the transom, plus i don't think it would look right on this boat anyways.

SyTy Speed Shop

OK, i have reached an agreement with the owner on price and will be getting this thing in the morning.  I'm also thinking that the BBC will be the way to go, so if anyone knows anyone in the market for a 455 Olds engine let me know, as i will be looking to sell this one and then upgrade the pump with atleast a SS impeller.

Currently the exhaust is thru the transom, below the water line, i would like to have it raised on the transom to where its above the water line and that beautiful BBC lope will be much more attention getting.  Is this even possible, is it just a matter of closing off the current holes and cutting some new ones?  Anything special i need to know before i do this type of modification?

SyTy Speed Shop

Ok well the deal is done!  I'm now the owner of a 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with a 71 Berkeley Jet Pack 455 and a Berkeley 12JC-A pump!  The boat is an early 72 model as it has no HIN number. But I do have the serial number plate from the transom.

Also after looking over the thing again I found a couple spots of stress cracks in the top of the transom area and removed the engine surround and tapped on the sides of the stringers in front of the engine and they sounded alittle soft to be honest. 

Also the steering control works great and so does the reverse control but the hand throttle control is way stiff and won't move, the lever moves but the cable at the carb barely has any movement at all so may need a whole new control and cable and may end up replacing the steering controls as well just to have everything updated.

Also I looked up the registration for the boat and it shows its been expired since 2003 but also says its status is non-titled not sure if that is because of age or what. 

Guess now the real fun begins!!!

Disturbed

You haven't came right out and said so, I'll ask.  Did you get a title?  I wouldn't put a dime into it until I had the title in hand.  $.02

customtouch

SyTy Speed Shop said:
I also have a 96 454 complete engine with the EFI and wiring and computer, i have all new comp cams valvetrain and 1.72 rocker arms for it along with a ZZ502 cam.  i was planning on swapping this into my Tahoe Limited along with a 4L80e trans and 2500 converter i have, but im thinking it could be a much better setup for this old sled!!

I can rework the wiring harness to make it stand alone as id love to keep the EFI.  Would have to find some headers that would work with the thru transom exhaust, as this boats hull is alittle tall to try and go over the transom, plus i don't think it would look right on this boat anyways.

Be sure and do your homework on that zz502 cam and the exhaust system you choose. It is my understanding that the zz502 cam is prone to reversion if the water mixes with the exhaust too soon.

SyTy Speed Shop

customtouch said:
SyTy Speed Shop said:

Be sure and do your homework on that zz502 cam and the exhaust system you choose. It is my understanding that the zz502 cam is prone to reversion if the water mixes with the exhaust too soon.

Well after doing some more research on the 455, i found out its the high compression 330HP model. so im going to keep it for the time being and the 454/4L80e is still gonna go into my Tahoe!! and the 350/4L60e from the Tahoe will go into my 92 GMC Sonoma GT.

Im gonna make sure the gas tank is clean and then get it running as is and see how it does and possibly drop it in the water for a short cruise just to test its overall sea worthiness before i get to far into it.  Then if all is good to go, then ill make some intake/ignition and carb upgrades and then start working on the floor and interior and get a much better look at the transom and stringers and pull the engine if needed.

ChryslerJet

Sounds like a plan just be careful if those stringers are soft don't punch it too hard or run it too far from the beach.

Devilman

Congrats on the new project... and welcome back to the boards, haven't seen ya around much. That Sea Ray may turn out to make a nice cruiser. Looks like a good wave buster.

Dump some fuel in it & go, I like your spirit... :smile16: Make sure you have camera/video for the maiden voyage. clap.gif

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
Congrats on the new project... and welcome back to the boards, haven't seen ya around much. That Sea Ray may turn out to make a nice cruiser. Looks like a good wave buster.

Dump some fuel in it & go, I like your spirit... :smile16: Make sure you have camera/video for the maiden voyage. clap.gif

Thanks and yeah im hoping it can be a great all around boat, fast with a good ride and room for a few friends! and of course a cooler!!

I was pretty bummed when the deal for the 79 witchcraft fell thru, would still love to find that boat but have no idea where it ended up!