Brazos River Rat ( Billy's ) Update

EOSpeed

If the cam turns ok the pump didnt lock up. Rollmaster says they use a german made chain. Just looking for why it broke.

Disturbed

Anybody want to start a pool on this?  I'm guessing a broken roller on a lifter started this whole deal.  Just a guess...  :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

Tim - don't give me any more bad luck OK..  Just a broken chain and everything is fine inside except the valves .. I need some good luck here ..

Dry Dock

After 40 years in engine parts business, I would be looking for the reason chain broke...........

In overall chain of events you normally always find a component failure that leads to and causes timing chain failure.

73 Sanger Flat

Rusty talked to Dave at Rehr Morrison and he told Rusty the same thing , But he also told Rusty that he has seen a few just break for no reason .. Come on guys , help me out here .. Just broke a chain .. PLEASE ..
Time for trolling motor now ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Pull that thing apart! You don't need adult supervision for that part of it! :smile14: I hope it is only a chain, but I would be concerned as to why it was only a chain. If you find something else led to it, it would put your mind more at ease. Trust me, we have looked for explanations as to why some of the strange problems we have had with Lucky Draw. It's nice when you find a obvious culprit.  :smile30: :smile30: :smile30: Not wishing any ill will here man! :smile17:

Disturbed

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Tim - don't give me any more bad luck OK..  Just a broken chain and everything is fine inside except the valves .. I need some good luck here ..

I wouldn't see that as bad luck.  There's going to be more hidden damage than a few bent valves.  My $.02  Just keeping it real.  I'm with Dry Dock on this one.  :smile30:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Pull that thing apart! You don't need adult supervision for that part of it! :smile14: I hope it is only a chain, but I would be concerned as to why it was only a chain. If you find something else led to it, it would put your mind more at ease. Trust me, we have looked for explanations as to why some of the strange problems we have had with Lucky Draw. It's nice when you find a obvious culprit.  :smile30: :smile30: :smile30: Not wishing any ill will here man! :smile17:

Amen!

Devilman

you guys are going make me pull the intake and heads off aren't you ??

You're kidding right? You put that thing back together without checking into it further first, you are gonna be kicking yourself if something happens later...  :undecided: I don't even think I would risk that with my old wore out stock stuff, lol :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
you guys are going make me pull the intake and heads off aren't you ??

You're kidding right? You put that thing back together without checking into it further first, you are gonna be kicking yourself if something happens later...  :undecided: I don't even think I would risk that with my old wore out stock stuff, lol :grin:
He didn't put it back together, it hasn't been taken completely apart yet! :smile30:

Devilman

Patchman said:
He didn't put it back together, it hasn't been taken completely apart yet! :smile30:

Uh yeah, I realize that...  and? Check the dates on your medication dude, think its affecting your comprehension skills.  :smile16:

73 Sanger Flat

I just pulled it apart enough to know for sure that it does have some bent valves and the cam would turn over easy .. Deciding I am not going to take it apart and let the expert take it apart so they can inspect it when they disasemble it .. So no more updates for a while unless Santa Clause drops me a new engine under the Christmas tree this year .. See you guys at Steel Creek .. I will be helping  Galen with  his Hydro..

73 Sanger Flat

I went and looked at the chain one more time it was Stamp DID 06B .. Japan .. So it is not a Cloyes.. D.I.D. is a company in Japan ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I went and looked at the chain one more time it was Stamp DID 06B .. Japan .. So it is not a Cloyes.. D.I.D. is a company in Japan ..
That sucks man! We will all be waiting for the diagnosis! :smile25:

customtouch

That does suck!!!! I hate when you think you are buying good quality parts only to find out it's cheap import crap!!!!  Hope the damage is not too extensive!!!

galen

Ok. here is what I have found out. Timing set is a cloyes. Some had iwis chains. some usa made, some japan chains" supposedly no more but how many are on shelves?". Performance boats and yellow bullet list several failures and excess stretching in short period of time with the Japanese chains. Several broke with no apparent cause. People are attributing it to high spring pressures, fast lobe rate, and lift, or all of the above. One failure due to substandard material is too many. And several are documented. I will post exactly what I find when it comes apart. Valve spring height, coil bind, seal to retainer, Rocker to retainer, push rod length, pushrod to head, wall thickness, valve to piston and rocker to lash cap contact patch, and oil flow to rockers was correct. A lot of people are using rollmaster with good results. This one will now get a jesel.

jimsplace

I just pulled it apart enough to know for sure that it does have some bent valves and the cam would turn over easy .. Deciding I am not going to take it apart and let the expert take it apart so they can inspect it when they disasemble it .. So no more updates for a while unless Santa Clause drops me a new engine under the Christmas tree this year .. See you guys at Steel Creek .. I will be helping  Galen with  his Hydro..

It'll be good seeing you Galen, it's been a while.
Oh, I guess it's been a while for a number of us.
The river hasn't been very cooperative recently.

Disturbed

If you'd rather get a gear drive.  This is the best that money can buy.  http://rcdengineering.com/shell/scripts/show_details.php?id=251500-0002

My $.02