Brazos River Rat ( Billy's ) Update

73 Sanger Flat

I would like to tell everyone that Galen is doing a hell of a job on the engine for my boat .. He is taking his time and double checking everything and I can not express how much I appreciate him helping me on this engine .. With any luck , it will be going to the Dyno in about a month .. Here are a few  pictures of the build . It is a Monster engine .. We are shooting for about 10.25:1 Pump gas deal .. It should make some good Horsepower and a lot of Torque .. Thanks again Galen for helping me with this ..  clap.gif jump.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Tim  Just going natural aspirated and on 92 Octane pump gas for now .. We could do a  blower and some really good gas or corn later . But we was unable to get the crank double cut for the key when it was at the machine shop  .. So Natural Aspirated and let have more fun at the Lake / River for now .. Tired of tearing stuff up .. It will be close to what it was last time you seen it run on MPH but this time on cheap fuel ..
A big ole 14-71 on some VP 116 would be fun though .. Maybe in a few years ..

Chevy2184

Billy did y'all use the blind head bolts? Did arp or someone have some? I'm fixing to put my heads on here before to long and was wondering about those?

jimsplace

It'll be good to see your boat back in the water.
All that we need now is some warm weather and water in the river.
  :smile17:

Knotty Girl

Looks pretty serious to me.  clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif You notice he had to background the 'ol Hydro in the one pic.  clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Chevy 2184 -- If you are referring to the valley head studs , this is what we used .. Dart 64210240 cost 88.47 from Summit ..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/drt-64210240.. Not sure what block you are using if these would work or not ..
Henry -- Galen just wanted  to show off that beautiful Hydro with that big ole MOPAR engine in there .. That thing is a beast for a natural aspirated engine with one carb .. 

Jim- I can't wait to get back to our regular visits to the river ..

Chevy2184

That's what I was looking for... Thanks billy!! I will check them and see if they will work... 👍👍

73 Sanger Flat

Loren I will want to pick your brain some after the Dyno numbers are back for a prop choice and gears , Currently have 32 gears and 11x16 prop

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Loren I will want to pick your brain some after the Dyno numbers are back for a prop choice and gears , Currently have 32 gears and 11x16 prop

That's fine Billy but the only problem is the 11x16 prop. There are different blade shapes, blade areas and since most are contoured the 16 pitch is an average so there are infinite combinations of 11x16 props.

Just in my testing I've seen 500-600rpm losses in flash and pull down when both were supposibly 11x16. Usually the top rpm doesn't vary as much but I've had effeciencies/slip vary as much as 10% between props.

Do you like the way you boat handles now with the prop you have? Or do you feel it could set quicker, needs to flash more or? Basically we can take an educated guess at the gear with the prop you have but in th eend we'll need some video, GPS and driver's input to decide where to head.

My guess is that 32 is a lot of gear if you have a prop that bites. How many rpm do you want to spin this deal and what mph do you want to see? Weren't you seeing like 17% slip last time?

73 Sanger Flat

Carnivalride said:

That's fine Billy but the only problem is the 11x16 prop. There are different blade shapes, blade areas and since most are contoured the 16 pitch is an average so there are infinite combinations of 11x16 props.

Just in my testing I've seen 500-600rpm losses in flash and pull down when both were supposibly 11x16. Usually the top rpm doesn't vary as much but I've had effeciencies/slip vary as much as 10% between props.

Do you like the way you boat handles now with the prop you have? Or do you feel it could set quicker, needs to flash more or? Basically we can take an educated guess at the gear with the prop you have but in th eend we'll need some video, GPS and driver's input to decide where to head.

My guess is that 32 is a lot of gear if you have a prop that bites. How many rpm do you want to spin this deal and what mph do you want to see? Weren't you seeing like 17% slip last time?
I know when I tested props a few years back , they varied a lot . Up to 12 mph difference on top end . I feel that I burn the prop way to much on the hit , The boat will even vibrate on take off for so much prop burn , so it needs to bite more .. I believe you are correct on the 17% slip last testing .. Not sure on the RPM until we get it off the Dyno , but I don't want to spin it more than 7500 at the most .. last outing was 110 MPH at 6400 RPM ..  It does not matter how many RPM or MPH as long as I can stay in front of you .. LOL .. As always I appreciate all the feed back .. We will test it with the 32's and my prop and get the RPM and the GPS speed and calculate prop slip again and go from there .. I think we may need to drop down to maybe 25 and try it , but will test with the 32's and just see what it does

73 Sanger Flat

FL350 said:
You going racing this season Billy?
Are you going to sponsor me Stacy ??  I might try and hit one race , not sure yet .. Need to get the boat back in the water and enjoy it some first ..

Carnivalride

Carnivalride said:

I know when I tested props a few years back , they varied a lot . Up to 12 mph difference on top end . I feel that I burn the prop way to much on the hit , The boat will even vibrate on take off for so much prop burn , so it needs to bite more .. I believe you are correct on the 17% slip last testing .. Not sure on the RPM until we get it off the Dyno , but I don't want to spin it more than 7500 at the most .. last outing was 110 MPH at 6400 RPM ..  It does not matter how many RPM or MPH as long as I can stay in front of you .. LOL .. As always I appreciate all the feed back .. We will test it with the 32's and my prop and get the RPM and the GPS speed and calculate prop slip again and go from there .. I think we may need to drop down to maybe 25 and try it , but will test with the 32's and just see what it does
Does it vibrate like that with all the props you’ve tried or just yours? At what rpm are you spinning during this time?

Typically for a flat to be quick you’ll spin it at least 700-800rpm over peak power and a lot of fast guys claim 1000rpm. With your 4.5” stroke you’ll have some serious piston speed and inertia as rpm goes up. Are you really willing to spin 7200-7300 at half track and 7500 out the back?

As far as staying in front of me??? You set your goals pretty low picking on an old Hondo with a naturally aspirated 10:1 489 you bully.  :smile26:

I agree about testing with what you have but if you go changing to a more aggressive prop like I have you’ll drop another gear or 2 just because of that.

Do you have a playback tach or can you mount a GoPro like I did so you can see your tach during a run?

73 Sanger Flat

Not sure what RPM will be safe , but it does have all the goodies in it ..Yes I do have a playback tach that I can play back and look at what is happening .. Not sure on the vibrating except with my prop . I was not paying attention on bottom end when I was testing other props ..
I don;t think i would be picking on you , you have your boat dialed in .. Mine is slow
So maybe spinning it to 7000 would be safer then at the top end or out the back door ???
I will get some good number and then we can talk .. I do need a new prop .. That will be the first thing I buy after the first test run .. Then test again and see what I need for gears ..