Ryans 1977 Taylor SS complete resto

Devilman

Only SS I have actually been in & around in person, is Brent's... and his is flat/flush straight across.

Dig the color scheme by the way. :smile17:

FL350

Administrator
How much foam? Back when we started putting some capsules in, we put to much foam and it would create a vacuume and actually suck the deck in.

Longstr

FL350 said:
How much foam? Back when we started putting some capsules in, we put to much foam and it would create a vacuume and actually suck the deck in.

I used 2 one gallon kits to fill the area in front of my first ski locker bulkhead

Longstr

I sat in the shop and had a couple whiskey drinks figuring out my plan, here is what I have come up with, I am going to mix up a batch of epoxy resin heavy w chop strand several scoops of 1/32 chop and several 1/4 in chop. Level the bow on the trailer and put down a good 1/4 in thick mixture. Wait till it dries, scuff it up  and cover it w a layer of mat this should get me filled close enough to finish it with dynatron short hair body filler.
What's everyone think ?

Longstr

Second

The third and fourth pics won't post basically I wrapped the entire nose in a layer of mat, now just need to true it up and done

Longstr

Not real excited about it, I almost contemplated giving up on the project, pissed as hell about the nose of the boat. Process was scuff entire bow w 36 grit, laid down a layer of epoxy resin and mat, added filler, sanded, laid down another layer of epoxy and mat, laid down filler, added another layer of epoxy and mat now I am close enough to true it up. Still pissed as hell it may break all to hell, it may not, but I get to live with the outcome. Damn it I am mad I didn't see this when I was adding bulkheads. :smile15:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
With all the hard work you have put into this project, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you man! :smile17:

Devilman

Man that sux. Know what ya mean about being frustrated with it. If you're thinking the deck may not turn out... would it be possible to just swap decks? With everything you have done so far, doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to go that way if need be. Especially considering the amount of work you have done so far to the rest of the boat...

FL350

Administrator
Don't give up! you've already gone this far. Take a break from it for a week, then get right back after it!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I really have no clue as to the do's and the dont's when it comes to glass. So i guess we will see how it comes out and holds up.  think.gif

Longstr

Devilman said:
Man that sux. Know what ya mean about being frustrated with it. If you're thinking the deck may not turn out... would it be possible to just swap decks? With everything you have done so far, doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to go that way if need be. Especially considering the amount of work you have done so far to the rest of the boat...

I have been looking for an SSD deck for along time, yes this is an option.  :smile24:

Longstr

Patchman said:
I really have no clue as to the do's and the dont's when it comes to glass. So i guess we will see how it comes out and holds up.  think.gif

Well I know guys that build keels like this, I am going to dance all over it before I paint it to see how it holds up. Maybe have my kids play on it  jump.gif

Longstr

FL350 said:
Don't give up! you've already gone this far. Take a break from it for a week, then get right back after it!

I am leaving Sunday for a business trip to Cleveland probably just what the dr ordered  think.gif