Project X

77Jet Star

spd500 said:
Thanks . It is definately a project to undertake , but I have been needing something to work on . Mattie is starting to really like helping out with stuff in the shop , so hopefully it will be fun for both of us . If all goes well I hope to have it on the water next spring .
Hang in there you will make it happen  clap.gif

spd500

Getting some more sanding done today . Mattie has been sanding with me , and she is doing a great job . Alot cheaper than buying beer for the guys to come watch me sand the boat too  :smile30:

spd500

Last Mohican said:
More pics please!  :smile16:

Not alot to see yet , but here are some pics of the progress so far .

Right after we started sanding
boat1.jpg

My helper on this project
boat2.jpg

The original gel had some crazy looking designs in it . That was the 70s .
boat3.jpg

As of right now most of the front deck is sanded good enough to start working on it . I have been mainly block sanding by hand so far , my big compressor keeps popping the breaker . I am going to get a friend of mine to bring over a meter and see if the motor is going out or if it is just the breaker . I have never used the big compressor here at the shop , so it might just be a matter of running a circut for it .

spd500

Well , I think I figured it out . This boat was stripped with a razor blade , and it has gouges into the gel under the old white paint . I kept thinking that there were ridges in the paint , even mention that maybe they painted it with a brush , lol . Now that I am getting into block sanding the gunnels I can tell where the problem came from . I am not sure just how far to sand the old paint down to with this being the case , guess I will ask around .

spd500 said:
Also , the old paint didnt have any primer under it ,  not sure if that matters or not .

Put it like this! your paint is only going to be good as whats under it! so if there is doubt that it will peel then yours is going to peel off with it!!

my .02

spd500

Yeah , kinda what I was thinking too , just didnt want to sand that far into the gel coat to get all the gouges out . Guess I need to sand all that out and use a good sealer primer , then the high build ?

spd500

Looking at all the info online it looks like the longer the primer cures the less chance you have of it shrinking later . I am thinking maybe get all the body work done and a few good coats of high build primer , then take a break and get the motor in and running before doing final blocking and painting . That will give the high build plenty of time to cure before I block it to paint . Is that about the right plan , or is there such a thing as too long of a cure time ?

blazeracer

I think there is a time limit on that stuff. Primer is more of a bonding agent than skin that can shrink. I've heard that, but I'm no painting expert either. The primer should adhere to whatever is under it while filling in small, very small imperfections while sealing the surface underneath. Then provide a uniform surface above for the paint to adhere to.

Probably a paint guy could chime in better.

I imagine is depends a lot on what kind of stuff you're spraying also. I used all epoxy materials on my boat so drying times were quick. On a warm day that stuff is ready to sand and paint in 30 minutes. I know the guy that does custom paint on bikes by where my old shop was said if he had to wait more then 30 minutes between coats he'd go out of business, and his shit looks damn good. He did our Tahoe after Maria drug the side of it against the bumper on the short wide. You would never know by looking at it.

Crusader

spd500 said:
Yeah , kinda what I was thinking too , just didnt want to sand that far into the gel coat to get all the gouges out . Guess I need to sand all that out and use a good sealer primer , then the high build ?

Sand out the gouges and then use a faring compound to fill in the voids and then prime after sanding.

spd500

blazeracer said:
I think there is a time limit on that stuff. Primer is more of a bonding agent than skin that can shrink. I've heard that, but I'm no painting expert either. The primer should adhere to whatever is under it while filling in small, very small imperfections while sealing the surface underneath. Then provide a uniform surface above for the paint to adhere to.

Probably a paint guy could chime in better.

I imagine is depends a lot on what kind of stuff you're spraying also. I used all epoxy materials on my boat so drying times were quick. On a warm day that stuff is ready to sand and paint in 30 minutes. I know the guy that does custom paint on bikes by where my old shop was said if he had to wait more then 30 minutes between coats he'd go out of business, and his shit looks damn good. He did our Tahoe after Maria drug the side of it against the bumper on the short wide. You would never know by looking at it.

I think you are refering to the flash time , or the time you have to wait to respray without having to sand . I am talking about the highbuild primer that I am planning to sand after it cures for whatever amount of time . Not sure if it is better to sand sooner or wait and let it "shrink" , I just heard that the high build has alot of shrinkage over time .

spd500

Crusader said:
spd500 said:

Sand out the gouges and then use a faring compound to fill in the voids and then prime after sanding.

I was thinking sand everything down , use the filler to get it all smooth , then sealer primer , then the high build primer . Just not sure if the sealer is better under the high build , or over the top of it after it has all been block sanded ?

77Jet Star

Back in the day I was using a product called Rust Defender it was a high build primer with a hardener made for metal and fiberglass applications don't know if they still make it or not but I used it on fiberglass and never had any shrinkage problems dried quick covered great and blocked  real easy. I never used any sealer just primed sanded and painted

spd500

I may have to check that out . I am not really planning on having many areas where the primer shrinkage will be a issue , but want the best results possible . It is still a half ass paint job , done by myself , in the garage instead of a paint booth . I know it isnt going to be perfect , but if I aim for half assed it is going to be really f'd up . If I aim for perfect , it might be decent .

spd500

JETSTAR said:
Here ya Go  http://www.clausenautobody.com/proddetail.php?prod=rust-defender check it out great stuff

Thanks , that might be the stuff to use . It does the sealing and the priming . I have seen some that do both , but not sure which ones they were . I wonder if there is somewhere to pick it up locally ?

KONA77

if it was me i'd shoot the sealer over the high build primer after i had it ready for paint...  but that's me  :smile16: