New day cruiser project

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Made some more progress today.  Dawn and I got the entire interior stripped from the top side including the carpet.  Dawn got some of the carpet out of the cabin as well.  I hooked a battery up, turned the key and :crickets:  I shorted the starter solenoid and it turned over so either there is a bad switch or some faulty wiring.  When I shorted the starter it seemed to turn a little slow to me.  I think I am going to go get a couple of new battery cables and hook the battery to the motor, hot wire the dizzy and use a starter button.  That way I have pretty much eliminated any other electrical issues.  By the time we finished we just wanted to pick up and get a shower.  That was some nasty disgusting work getting that carpet out.

overbored

Amazing how good it looks without the skeletons of the old interior in place. Let me know when shes running so I can drop in and hear her.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Got it to make some noise tonight.  It only ran for about 5 seconds and I was out of gas.  Replaced the steering cable today also.  There is no way the boat ran the way it was.  Timing was 180 out.  I just moved the wires today.  Tomorrow I'll re-stab the dizzy and fill the gas can.  Saturday should be productive.

Devilman

Thats cool that you're able to get it to do anything given the amount of time it had been sitting. That seems to always be the funnest projects. Went through what you're going through with a '71 Land Cruiser few years ago.  Draggin something home that hasn't run in years & with a little tinkering, wa-la... :grin: Keep it up, this is good stuff. :smile17:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
It won't be tomorrow but possibly Wednesday or at the very latest next Sunday I hope to float it.  It will not have interior but the goal that day will be to find any mechanical issues that need to be addressed.  I have a few wiring gremlins to sort out before then but I should be able to tackle them this week.  Cross your fingers for me.  :smile16:

Dman.  I think the video is a little deceiving.  The intake really looks like a$$ when you see it in person.  I may cover it with some kitty litter.  That's what my cat does when she squeezes one off that looks like that.  :smile26:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Made a little more progress today.  I believe I got all the wiring gremlins straightened out.  Basically all I had to do is rip out all the additions to the original wiring and then re-terminate about 7 wires from the original harness.  All the electrical seems to be working correctly now with the exception of the blower.  I didn't finish testing that circuit but I'm betting it needs a new blower motor.  Even the hydraulic diverter works correctly after I added a little bit of fluid.  I also got all the water lines replaced.  :smile16:

KONA77

outstanding,  glad to hear about all the progess,  keep it up and you'll be on the water in no time...  I like hearing about the one that the owner does themselves...

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Looks like tomorrow will be the day to test it out.  Got a couple of things to finish today but it should be no problem.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Got most of the punch list done.  Changed the oil, replaced all the fuel lines, new fuel filter/water separator, transferred all the old stale gas to the port tank.  Starboard tank is empty and ready for fresh fuel.  I hooked up the hose and let the motor run for about 20 minutes or so.  It had a rocker tapping for about the first 5 minutes then the tap completely went away.  I'm guessing it took a few minutes for one lifter to pump up after sitting for so many years.  Motor sounds great now.  Idles smooth enough to balance a quarter on it.  It's hard to tell in the pic but I believe the impeller is OK.  It has a couple of small dings but nothing major.  Only surprise today was a busted hand hole cover.  My little Rebel has the same pump so I can borrow the cover from it tomorrow.  Still got trailer lights and some kind of carpet to do tonight.

Cliff, I hope you are gonna make it out.  I'd feel better knowing the tug was gonna be there.  :smile28:

hillbilly68

Last Mohican said:
Got most of the punch list done.  Changed the oil, replaced all the fuel lines, new fuel filter/water separator, transferred all the old stale gas to the port tank.  Starboard tank is empty and ready for fresh fuel.  I hooked up the hose and let the motor run for about 20 minutes or so.  It had a rocker tapping for about the first 5 minutes then the tap completely went away.  I'm guessing it took a few minutes for one lifter to pump up after sitting for so many years.  Motor sounds great now.  Idles smooth enough to balance a quarter on it.  It's hard to tell in the pic but I believe the impeller is OK.  It has a couple of small dings but nothing major.  Only surprise today was a busted hand hole cover.  My little Rebel has the same pump so I can borrow the cover from it tomorrow.  Still got trailer lights and some kind of carpet to do tonight.

Cliff, I hope you are gonna make it out.  I'd feel better knowing the tug was gonna be there.  :smile28:

matt, that impeller looks good, you should see mine, lol.... after i get it out next friday i'll post a couple pics of it........after you see it your not going to beleive how it was even pulling , much less pulling hard as it was....... :smile29:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
hillbilly68 said:
matt, that impeller looks good, you should see mine, lol.... after i get it out next friday i'll post a couple pics of it........after you see it your not going to beleive how it was even pulling , much less pulling hard as it was....... :smile29:

I bet your boat is gonna fly with the baffles out and a tight pump.

Crusader

Last Mohican said:

Matt, I'll be out there and ready to tug from about noon to 5pm. After 5pm I have to go as I'm taking my oldest son to a movie.

Can't wait to see this thing run!

Oh, and that impeller looks like a mess....wow.

blazeracer

I towed a guy about 2 miles one night with my Glastron, so if Cliff's gone, I can pull you in. But I'm sure it won't be needed since you're pretty much on top of everything.

We may have two car loads of people coming again, so we'll probably be launching from Pebble Beach around 1 and I'll have to make two trips... Wait, your day cruiser can haul like 50 people, right?? LOL  Just kidding..

hillbilly68

Last Mohican said:
hillbilly68 said:

I bet your boat is gonna fly with the baffles out and a tight pump.

i hope it does, guess we'll see next saturday. if all goes well i'll bring it back with me sunday morning, and if i get back in time i'll see ya'll at pebble beach that afternoon for a couple hours