New day cruiser project

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Here's a vid of how it looked when I got it home.  Kinda big (155 MB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cokhg6h0pk

The good, a lot of it will clean up:

The Bad, some of it won't:

blazeracer

That video is totally sweet. Can't wait to see it on Lavon.

BTW, I have a spare marine battery in my shop you can have to get it started. I think it's fully charged.

WAFOBABY

Hey Matt

Thats going to be SWEET dont forget that when you get ready I have a friend who has an INTERIOR SHOP in greenville.  Looks like it has a roadrunner trailer also is it?  I like it if ya need any of those aircraft boards let me know...      To  MANY BEERS ON THE LAKE JUST STAY AT THE LAKE ALLLLL NIGHT lol!!!!!! :smile13:

neverenuf

I like it!....It's got character!!  Dirty hoe would be a great name!  Curious to see how that 455 runs.

Nice find.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Blender Man said:
Make it really groove, fill the hole were the pump is and make a V drive out it like Rockey's and it would  Run...... :smile27:

No V-Drive here.  I'm sticking with "The Jet Set"  (70's pun intended)  :grin:

Put a tape measure on it yesterday.  It is longer than 23'  It is actually the 25' Ambassador.  :smile26:

Devilman

Man that is crazy how well that seat cushion cleaned up. I'd be willing to bet that whole cuddy area (or whats it called, the lounge/playroom :grin:) would clean up as well as that cushion. Too bad the rest of the upholstery is wasted. It'd be pretty cool if the upholstery shop could match what you have so you could salvage some of the original stuff.

Sweet project, definitely looking forward to your progress.... :smile16:

25' huh, damn, lol...

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Devilman said:
Man that is crazy how well that seat cushion cleaned up. I'd be willing to bet that whole cuddy area (or whats it called, the lounge/playroom :grin:) would clean up as well as that cushion. Too bad the rest of the upholstery is wasted. It'd be pretty cool if the upholstery shop could match what you have so you could salvage some of the original stuff.

Sweet project, definitely looking forward to your progress.... :smile16:

25' huh, damn, lol...

I was stunned at how the one cushion cleaned up.  I'm sure the rest of the "Playroom" will clean up the same way with the exception of the carpet.  The carpet is toast.  Hopefully I can find a close match for the rest of the interior.  It is a shame it was not kept under a cover.  All that interior could have been saved.  Of course then I wouldn't have been able to buy it for what I did.  She is a big one.  :smile16:

Devilman

Last Mohican said:
I was stunned at how the one cushion cleaned up.  I'm sure the rest of the "Playroom" will clean up the same way with the exception of the carpet.  The carpet is toast.  Hopefully I can find a close match for the rest of the interior.  It is a shame it was not kept under a cover.  All that interior could have been saved.  Of course then I wouldn't have been able to buy it for what I did.  She is a big one.  :smile16:

Thats probably a good thing. That boat is straight outta the partyin ass 70s-80s, liable to be enough DNA left in there to create a small family, lol...  :cheesy:

So are you going to geta sweater vest now?  :grin: :grin:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Devilman said:
Thats probably a good thing. That boat is straight outta the partyin A$$ 70s-80s, liable to be enough DNA left in there to create a small family, lol...  :cheesy:

Small family hell.  I bet I could start an entire new sports franchise.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Last Mohican said:

Thats probably a good thing. That boat is straight outta the partyin A$$ 70s-80s, liable to be enough DNA left in there to create a small family, lol...   :cheesy:

And I'm the crazy one? :smile16:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I was pretty excited toady.  I went out at lunch to see if I could turn the motor over by hand.  I put a socket on the crank and it moved no problem.  I thought that was good news.  I puled the plugs shot some WD-40 in all the cylinders and went back to work.

I went back out tonight and decided I better try to get two full turns out of the crank by hand just to be sure there was not a valve stuck or some other obstruction.  I turned the crank and 180* and BAM it came to an abrupt stop.  I turned it back the other way 180* and it stops again.  I put my tools up and was going to call it a night when a friend showed up.  He convinced me to at least pull the valve covers.  Long story short, I could see water in #5.  We pulled the intake and driver side head and just as I suspected there was a rust ring in #5.  I hit it with a hone and it cleaned right up.  The motor now turns over smooth as silk for 720*.  other than a little surface rust here and there the motor looks pretty clean inside.

I'm going to gamble a gasket set on it.  I'm betting the motor was sitting there with the #5 intake valve open and rain water got in somehow.  All I want out of this motor is to get to the lake and test the boat to see if there are any other mechanical or structural issues.  Any thing more than that out of this motor is a bonus.  I don't want to invest a bunch of money in the motor just to find out the boat goes straight to the bottom of the lake.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Blender Man

If you worried about it leaking get the garden hose out and fill the boat full of water.....You will have a head start on all the leaks if any ..... :smile29:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
It had a fair amount of water standing in it when I got it.  The drain was plugged with debris.  I doubt there are any holes big enough to sink it.  I guess I'd just feel better spending money on it if I have seen it on the water first.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I was really surprised at how clean the inside of the motor is. Other than a little surface rust it looks great. It has been opened up before. I noticed today the one head is drilled and tapped for a smog pump and the other is not. They are both "C" heads. The intake is an old Edelbrock Torker. At one time it was polished. That will never happen again. It is way too pitted.

(Clickable Thumbs)

Devilman

Way cool, ya gotta let us know how it goes when you splash it for the first time. Don't forget your sweater vest... :grin:

KONA77

bead blast the intake or do what I did and get some real strong paint thinner/ cleaner and clean it,  it will suprise you on how well it will clean up....

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I was not going to mess with it but as I typed this response I decided I might as well clean it up a little better.  I always used etching wheel cleaner from Eagle One.  Not sure if you can get it anymore.    Thanks for the heads up on the paint thinner.  I might try that if I can't get the Eagle One stuff.

I though I was going to get it back together yesterday so there was no time to have it blasted.  I'm not going to spend much $$$ on the Olds.  If it needs much at all I'll put that money toward a BBC.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That's good news about the motor! Keep the progress posted! :smile30: There are allot of products that will etch the intake. Napa actually offers a aluminum cleaner that etches also.