New day cruiser project

KONA77

i might be a dumba$$,  but why yould you want to etch the aluminum,  i just used some good strong paint thinner/cleaner and wiped down my intake and it just came clean.  :huh:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA77 said:
i might be a dumba$$,  but why yould you want etch the aluminum,  i just used some good strong paint thinner/cleaner and wiped down my intake and it just came clean.  :huh:
Quite being a dumb Azz! :smile26: You etch it to give it a satton finish. Looks nice and new when your done!

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Patchman said:
KONA77 said:
i might be a dumba$$,  but why yould you want etch the aluminum,  i just used some good strong paint thinner/cleaner and wiped down my intake and it just came clean.  :huh:
Quite being a dumb Azz! :smile26: You etch it to give it a satton finish. Looks nice and new when your done!

Yep.  Etching cleaner to cast aluminum is like bleach to a white sheet.  I found the Eagle One stuff.  It was actually on sale at Auto Zone.  The intake cleaned up a little better.  Still looks like a$$ though.  I may try to polish it up a little today.  I'm not going to spend much time on it though.  I want to hear this bee-otch run tonight.  :smile16:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA77 said:
:smile22:  you maybe right,  Patchman knows everything... just ask him..... BAWHAHAHAHAHA
BAWHAHAHAHAHA
:smile16: :smile16: :smile16: :evil:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA77 said:
his intake looks like it will need something pretty strong,,,  :shocked:
That's what we have been trying to tell you! Time for a second cup! :smile26:

KONA77

Patchman said:
KONA77 said:

Second cup,  hell i'm on my second pot... I mean pot of coffee  :smile20:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA77 said:
Patchman said:
KONA77 said:

Second cup,  hell i'm on my second pot... I mean pot of coffee  :smile20:
Glad you clarified that! :smile26: :rolleyes:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
If my intake looked like that I'd have left it alone for sure.  Mine looks like it just came out of the pot.  :smile28:

Devilman

There was a thread around here someplace about cleaning aluminum intakes. May be in the Tips & Tricks section. That wheel cleaner should clean it up pretty decent. Or, some of that "aluminum brightener" they use on the big rigs tanks/wheels & stuff. It will clean it up fo sho, leave it looking kinda "bleached" though.

Worse comes to worse, there is also good old silver Krylon.... :cheesy:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
brazosjettin said:
Alumabrite its used to clean ac coils you can get it at the ac supply house.

Thanks for the tip Mike.  I cleaned it a good as I could with etching wheel cleaner.  It is pretty pitted.  It looks a lot better than it did but it will be more work than it is worth to get it back polished.  I bolted it back on the motor tonight.  There are some other issue with the intake as well.  Someone screwed a bunch of regular bolts into the vacuum ports instead of pipe plugs.  I think they are sealed OK for a test run but If I am going to keep this intake on it I will have to drill and tap about 6 bosses to put pipe plugs back in.

Dry Dock

Little trick I learned by accident.  I have manifold media blasted, then buy a can of Krylon spray can of Aluminum paint.  Do not spray whole manifold. have you a red rag handy. spray about 2" or 3" wait a few seconds and wipe off.  This removes the paint look and only leaves the aluminum in the sand pits on manifold.  keep on until you have done entire manifold. it will look like a new cast manifold then. do not use silver paint.  Has to be aluminum paint. (if Krylon still has it available).  have not done in quite a few years now.  if you spray whole manifold it will look painted.  so do small areas and wipe.  I was going to paint one, did not like it and started wiping is how I discovered.

DD

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Dry Dock said:
Little trick I learned by accident.  I have manifold media blasted, then buy a can of Krylon spray can of Aluminum paint.  Do not spray whole manifold. have you a red rag handy. spray about 2" or 3" wait a few seconds and wipe off.  This removes the paint look and only leaves the aluminum in the sand pits on manifold.  keep on until you have done entire manifold. it will look like a new cast manifold then. do not use silver paint.  Has to be aluminum paint. (if Krylon still has it available).  have not done in quite a few years now.  if you spray whole manifold it will look painted.  so do small areas and wipe.  I was going to paint one, did not like it and started wiping is how I discovered.

DD

Another good tip.  Not sure it would work very well on this intake since it was polished.  For the mot part it is smooth. Not a rough cast finish.

Dry Dock

you are right. only a sand cast finish is all this is good for. I am sure your like me, do not want it to look cheesy and painted. sorry missed it had been polished. 

EO bought the Mothers polish ball and compound. works pretty good too.

Sounds like the aluma brite and a buffer is your best bet.  Just solid work!

DD