Crusader re-wire

Devilman

Crusader said:
Thanks!

I'm going to pick up the Crusader from Andys shop today, bring it home and fit it with the interior and new seats. The end of this short but desperately needed, winter upgrade is near!

Those are gonna be really nice.  bling.gif You mentioned replacing the steering column, you talking about the actual helm or just the steering extension that the wheel mounts to.

Crusader

Devilman said:
Crusader said:
Thanks!

I'm going to pick up the Crusader from Andys shop today, bring it home and fit it with the interior and new seats. The end of this short but desperately needed, winter upgrade is near!

Those are gonna be really nice.  bling.gif You mentioned replacing the steering column, you talking about the actual helm or just the steering extension that the wheel mounts to.

Well I was going to replace the helm and steering wheel. The helm is gorgeous. Thewheel is in good shape and is white. The problem is that the wheel is very sticky to touch which means it’ll get dirty quite quickly. I decided to leave the old wheel on there until I find another one to replace it. I’ll likely go with another black wheel.

Devilman

What kinda set up you have in there, rotary or rack? Whats up with the wheel, is it from being exposed to the weather or sticky as in its made that way for extra grip or something...

Crusader

Devilman said:
What kinda set up you have in there, rotary or rack? Whats up with the wheel, is it from being exposed to the weather or sticky as in its made that way for extra grip or something...

Its a rack set up.

Well I am not sure about the wheel.....just seems to me it's really sticky. Might be good for some other application.....but I think I'm going to pass on using it. I think I'm going to post up on Fagbook and ask what wheels folks are using.

Devilman

Crusader said:
Its a rack set up.

Well I am not sure about the wheel.....just seems to me it's really sticky. Might be good for some other application.....but I think I'm going to pass on using it. I think I'm going to post up on Fagbook and ask what wheels folks are using.

I gotcha. I tried a rack set up a few years ago, but it was just as stiff as my old crummed up cable due to too sharp of a bend in the cable so I took it back out. If I try it again I suppose I could go with a bit longer cable & run it down the opposite side.  think.gif

Copy that on the wheel.. I know the steering wheels in older cars & trucks would get that nasty sticky residue... from sitting being exposed to the sun I guess... yuck grabbing onto one of those, lol. You try wiping it down with anything?

Crusader

Devilman said:
Crusader said:
Its a rack set up.

I gotcha. I tried a rack set up a few years ago, but it was just as stiff as my old crummed up cable due to too sharp of a bend in the cable so I took it back out. If I try it again I suppose I could go with a bit longer cable & run it down the opposite side.  think.gif

Copy that on the wheel.. I know the steering wheels in older cars & trucks would get that nasty sticky residue... from sitting being exposed to the sun I guess... yuck grabbing onto one of those, lol. You try wiping it down with anything?

Ya, all types of cleaners etc.....got it looking purdy, but it was still sticky AF.... It does look kinda cool hanging in my garage. Lol.

Devilman

Crusader said:
Ya, all types of cleaners etc.....got it looking purdy, but it was still sticky AF.... It does look kinda cool hanging in my garage. Lol.

Probably no saving it then. Ya I have a couple of wheels as wall hangers too. Could make a garage clock out of it. Or prank a neighbor with it when standing around drinking beer, lol

Devilman

I did it with an old Mercury hubcap I came across, looks pretty cool/different. Already had the clock motor from something else, but you can buy those DIY clock kits pretty cheap. I actually need another one cause mine quit, :tongue:

Devilman

Crusader said:
Hahaha...good idea to make a clock!

Oh & just don't let the kids take it to school, remember how that turned out... homemade clocks & what-not, lol...

jimsplace

There probably is no saving the steering wheel, but you might use some baby powder to keep it from being as sticky until you can find a wheel you like.  Just be sure to wipe the powder off with a towel until it's no longer slick, and try not to wipe it off anymore than necessary with a wet towel.
    :smile17:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I got you covered brother!

Attachments

• 2016-100-pure-wool-plush-steering-wheel-cover.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 16

jimsplace

It would certainly be distinctive, but is appears to clash with the boat colors.  It could be tried, who knows, it might work.
    clap.gif

Crusader

jimsplace said:
I know you've looked a CP and probably other places, but have you looked at the steering wheel manufactures such as Grant? http://www.grantproducts.com

CP or Jegs can order whatever they have I assume.
    :smile17:

No I haven't, just the usual...eBay, Amazon, etc...

Thanks. I'll take a look.