Crusader Project

KONA77

sturat said:
Crusader said:
I just got a call from Brian and he said the motor is bone stock. He said there ain't no way a stroker motor should have a two bolt main and that's exactly what I have.

He also mentioned that it's been much longer than 3 1/2 years since this motor has been torn down.

The prior owner sure did pull the wool over my eyes....he said the motor was rebuilt in 2008 and stroked to 540cubes. Come to find out he was, once again, full of crap.
You are talking about a Ford here and having a 2 bolt with a stroker is not an issue. Not trying to start a Chevy Ford war.

LOL,  maybe you don't mean to but most likely you have  :smile29:

Crusader

Stu....I only relayed information from the builder as I don't know what I'm talking about......know just enough info to be dangerous. Lol.

What do you think about the scaring in #1? Is that a simple fix??

KONA77

depending on how bad it is, and the overall shape of the cylinder,  a hone and re-ring  maybe possible,  again just an internet guess  :smile17:

sturat

X2 what kona said... Without seeing,feeling it in person it would be just a guess...hell just a guess anyhow as I know just enough to get my a$$ in a crack...LOL

But really on the BBF having a two bolt main is not a big issue, the crank sit's in the bloc better that a chevy and the bearings will walk less and that is alos the reason you can get 550+ cubes from a factory OEM 385 series block.
I know mine is a 2 bolt block and I have had it going on 4 seasons and it is still running like the day i put it in. The boat is another story..LOL

blazeracer

Two bolts mains doesn't mean squat on a Ford man. The only way to know for sure if it's a stroker is to measure the bore and stroke. Do you know what bore it's on? Check the rods too and make sure you have the rods with the football bolts. If you do it MIGHT be the original engine. Marine motors came with truck rods.

On the scored hole, if you're still on a standard bore get it punched .030 over. Those Speed Pros with the coated skirts that in are in my motor are stock replacements and were very affordable. You'll never spray nitrous so those will work great. I think I paid around $500 at Blaines to get it bored, cam bearings, brass freeze plugs, new pistons pressed onto my rods and a set of rings out the door. That's what I'd do anyway.

Crusader

Thanks.

What do y'all think about the cracks in the heads?? Should I start shopping for another set of D0VE-C's??

KONA77

Crusader said:
Thanks.

What do y'all think about the cracks in the heads?? Should I start shopping for another set of D0VE-C's??

wouldn't hurt to start looking,  and i agree with James,  i'd go for the total rebuild, stop any forthcoming problems,  you already have the motor out,  one cylinder has scaring.....  do it right now and it'll give you many years of service...  just my nickles worth 

blazeracer

Crusader said:
Thanks.

Until you get the heads magged you won't know if the cracks are really cracks or not. Plus, you have D3VE heads, not D0VE. D3VE's are also stock boat heads. Mine has D3VE heads on it. Nothing wrong with them.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/2941866517.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/2863862649.html

You're gonna pay $$$$ for a set of D0VE's

spd500

Looks like those heads are cheap enough to not even bother with repairing the old ones and rebuilding them . Just go grab that fresh set for $250 and you are ready to go .

Crusader

blazeracer said:
Crusader said:
Thanks.

Until you get the heads magged you won't know if the cracks are really cracks or not. Plus, you have D3VE heads, not D0VE. D3VE's are also stock boat heads. Mine has D3VE heads on it. Nothing wrong with them.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/2941866517.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/2863862649.html

You're gonna pay $$$$ for a set of D0VE's

Okay...the heads are clearly marked D0VE-C between the two center exhaust ports.

KONA77

removes that argument  :smile28:  them bad babies can be hard to find,  need to head over to the forum 460ford.com and look up Scotty,  i believe that's his name

sturat

Cliff
Call Paul Kane @ 310-435-1900 he will tell you what to do for your budget and goals. Guy knows BBF very good and he will put a combo together for you that will meet your goals. He is super nice and will do this over the phone with you and you do not even have to buy the parts from him.

KONA77

sturat said:
Cliff
Call Paul Kane @ 310-435-1900 he will tell you what to do for your budget and goals. Guy knows BBF very good and he will put a combo together for you that will meet your goals. He is super nice and will do this over the phone with you and you do not even have to buy the parts from him.

definitely....,  he's the other over on that forum,  he's the resident jet boat guru there, clap.gif

that guy Scotty just cant remember his last name,  basically does heads,  and has them to purchase

Devilman

KONA said:
definitely....,  he's the other over on that forum,  he's the resident jet boat guru there, clap.gif

that guy Scotty just cant remember his last name,  basically does heads,  and has them to purchase

Pretty sure this is the same guy Richard has mentioned in the past.... http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

And you know how Richard's boat runs... :grin:

KONA77

Devilman said:
KONA said:

Pretty sure this is the same guy Richard has mentioned in the past.... http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

And you know how Richard's boat runs... :grin:

yep that's the guy and his website,  good job Dman,  Richard also has talked to Paul Kane

John

now is the time to make it a stroker, or up the compression a bit, even heavy boats like losing a 100 lbs of the back with aluminum heads and a intake, at the VERY least i would re ring, and see if the cylinder would clean up with a hone job, at this point it is just labor and a set of rings and new bearings- cheap!

oh time for a new bumpstick! to liven it up!

blazeracer

KONA said:
removes that argument  :smile28:  them bad babies can be hard to find,  need to head over to the forum 460ford.com and look up Scotty,  i believe that's his name

Hopefully that guy Jason know's has a set of D0VE's then. There's NONE on CL or Ebay. The difference between the two, D0's have a 72cc chamber and the D3's have a 96cc chamber, but they are both closed chamber heads. DO NOT get D2's, they are open chamber motorhome heads. Plus, if you change heads you'll have to get the pedestals machined for screw in studs if they're not already or go back to stamped rockers. IMO, the 460 stamped rocker system works better than using Chevy style roller tips anyway. The Comp rockers I have now will stay in the box and stamped rockers will go on the D3 headed 460 going in the fast boat.

Well, let's hope it's all for not and yours can be fixed.

Crusader

I think I'm going to go ahead and redo the short block as you guys advise. No sense in getting the heads fixed only to blow out the rings 1/2 way through the summer. The motors out, might as well do it.

I'm going to measure how far the piston goes down into the cylinder tomorrow. From what I've been told that 3.85 inches of travel is a stock 460. If its more than 4 inches of travel, it's a stroker.

Crusader

I have located some D0VE-C heads and will pull the trigger on getting them if my heads are deemed Un repairable. Also I plan on putting in new SS valves too.