Crusader Project

blazeracer

Looking on 460ford.com is doesn't look like they can be installed upside so the problem is probably elsewhere. Maybe the guideplates and studs are a different size so they are not fitting the studs properly and are all a little off center. Like using 7/16" guideplates with 3/8" rocker studs.

Gold Member

If the pattern from the intake side to the exhaust side of the valve tips are all over the place then who ever did the heads didnt tip the valves right or the heads have some worn seats and some of the  valves set in the seat deeper than others.

blazeracer

Motor Head said:
If the pattern from the intake side to the exhaust side of the valve tips are all over the place then who ever did the heads didnt tip the valves right or the heads have some worn seats and some of the  valves set in the seat deeper than others.

Was just reading on that subject too. Canted valves on 460 heads. A lot can go wrong there. The pedestals may be machined at the wrong angle, valves too deep in the seats, intake rockers on exhaust valves. Oh wait, he's using Chevy style rockers with the ball mount at the bottom so it shouldn't matter. I read Harland Sharp makes some rockers that fix the canted valve geometry.

Crusader

Brian said he's taking the heads to a guy in grand prairie who specializes in Fords..... Forgot the name of the place.

If the valves were machined wrong etc, can this all be repaired????

blazeracer

Crusader said:
Brian said he's taking the heads to a guy in grand prairie who specializes in Fords..... Forgot the name of the place.

No, you will need to buy aluminum Super Cobra Jet heads. LOL

Just kidding. Everything is fixable.

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
Crusader said:

No, you will need to buy aluminum Super Cobra Jet heads. LOL

Just kidding. Everything is fixable.
Or replaceable on the heads for example worst case replace valves and valve seats.

Crusader

Not avoiding anything .... didn't crack the oil pan off yet. By the time we got the motor out of the boat, the logs off, the intake and put it on the jack stand,  it was already 10:15pm at night. With a 30 drive ahead of me back to Mckinney, a 0530 revele comes around pretty quick!

Brian said hes going to take the oil pan off tonight and at that point we 'll know what it is.

Crusader

I just got a call from Brian and he said the motor is bone stock. He said there ain't no way a stroker motor should have a two bolt main and that's exactly what I have.

He also mentioned that it's been much longer than 3 1/2 years since this motor has been torn down.

The prior owner sure did pull the wool over my eyes....he said the motor was rebuilt in 2008 and stroked to 540cubes. Come to find out he was, once again, full of crap.

jroberts88

sorry to hear about the prier owner bs trick... i got pulled for the same :( But atleast now you can rebuild it on how you want!

spd500

That sucks,  since its just a stock Ford now would be the time to bite the bullet and go LS powered.  A supercharged LS would be awesome for a daycruiser.  :smile30:

Crusader

Brian just called and said the bottom end looks great in the motor. In fact he doesn't recommend us tearing the motor down and only have the heads reworked. He thinks the low compression is due to a blown head gasket.

0dc4e34f.jpg

c426a457.jpg

Crusader

Well it's definitely a problem in the heads. Below are some pictures of the cracks he found.

d1671352.jpg

9837d4ee.jpg

He also found heavy scoring at the 2 o'clock on the number 1 cylinder.

d012f182.jpg

jroberts88

well the scaring in the cylinder dont look that bad... if you run your fingernail over it does it drag? does it feel deep?

Crusader

Not to bad at all with the scaring. We're bringing the heads to a machinist Brian knows and we'll get the word on whether or not the heads are repairable or not.

My guts say that I'll be looking for a set of D0VE-C heads real soon though.

duanehydro

those appear to be d3 heads, and max dish piston.... 8:1 460 stock...man i'd love to build an engine for that boat....I bet 10 more mph, and less fuel comsumption.... :smile30:

WAFOBABY

IF you decide you need a set of HEADS Cliff let  know I think I know someone that has a set of extra DOVE heads if you dont..  Motor looks pretty clean from pics

Crusader

Thanks Jasson. I'll know real soon if I needs the heads or not. Right now it looks like I do but we'll see.

sturat

Crusader said:
I just got a call from Brian and he said the motor is bone stock. He said there ain't no way a stroker motor should have a two bolt main and that's exactly what I have.

He also mentioned that it's been much longer than 3 1/2 years since this motor has been torn down.

The prior owner sure did pull the wool over my eyes....he said the motor was rebuilt in 2008 and stroked to 540cubes. Come to find out he was, once again, full of crap.
You are talking about a Ford here and having a 2 bolt with a stroker is not an issue. Not trying to start a Chevy Ford war.