Crusader Project

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Get you some Percy exhaust gaskets from summit. They work great! :smile16: I don't think those ports have been touched from the pic. think.gif

blazeracer

Crusader said:
The rockers do have the guide plates but they are not squared on top of the valve tips at all.

I do not have a picture of the valves with the valve cover off.

I wonder if the ones that are off are installed upside down? Is that even possible? Bobby might know, but they should all be spot on.

Crusader

You could be right with the heads, There is a lot of carbon build up in there too.

Ya, I agree with the logs statement.

Crusader

Last Mohican said:
blazeracer said:
Crusader said:
The rockers do have the guide plates but they are not squared on top of the valve tips at all.

I wonder if the ones that are off are installed upside down? Is that even possible? Bobby might know, but they should all be spot on.

Could be a problem with those cheap roller tips.

Should I go ahead and buy a whole new set of roller tips?? Would I have to get new pushrods too??

blazeracer

Here's heads that have been worked. The port on the right has been worked, the one on the left hasn't. Big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20111208_105302.jpg
    IMG_20111208_105302.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 178

Gold Member

A lot of people put the exhaust gaskets on wrong not knowing they block off a lot of the port. I would get good exhaust gaskets as stated so you don't have any issues. Those logs are a pain to deal with once the motor is installed!

blazeracer

Crusader said:
Last Mohican said:
blazeracer said:
Crusader said:

Could be a problem with those cheap roller tips.

Should I go ahead and buy a whole new set of roller tips?? Would I have to get new pushrods too??

Problem could be Cleveland guide plates also??

Gold Member

Just look at the wear pattern on the tip of the valve where the rollers run and that will determin if you need longer or shorter push rods. The wear pattern should be as close to the center front to back as possible.

Crusader

In one of the pictures I posted, you can see the engine with the valve cover off. Maybe you can zoom into the picture and see what guides are on there. They appear to be stock

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Crusader said:
Bobby. The wear patterns are all over the place and not uniformly centered.

When you say all over, are you talking about from carb side of head to exhaust side of head they are not centered on the valve stem or from front of the motor to rear of the motor they are not centered? or both?  Does that make sense?

blazeracer

Crusader said:
In one of the pictures I posted, you can see the engine with the valve cover off. Maybe you can zoom into the picture and see what guides are on there. They appear to be stock

There are no stock guide plates Cliff. Stock uses pedestal mounted rockers that don't need them.

Crusader

Here's the only picture I have of the valves, maybe you can zoom in and look at the guide plates.

5151b494.jpg

Devilman

Blaze is right, wouldn't have been guideplates stock.. I may be missing it, but I not seein them in that pic either?

blazeracer

I'm no expert, but zooming in the guide plates look like they're on upside down. The arms on the guideplates appear to be angled up and shouldn't be. Are ALL the roller tips off to the side or just a few? They do all look to on the same way, whatever it is.

Crusader

Ya know, upside down guide plates doesn't surprise me at all. The more we tear into this thing, the more I realize the PO did NOT know what he was doing.

Crusader

I can't post clickable thumbs from the iPhone app. I can only do that through the photobucket website and unfortunately the website is a prohibited site on my work computer.