Blaze's Whacker!

blazeracer

DAMN!! 6.2 liter Caddilac CTS-V motor on an outboard kicking out 557 ponies! That would go well on a Liberator pickleforks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60YqcCBtBuU

blazeracer

OK, had a guy come by the shop the other day and said the motor was too low. Ideally the prop shaft should be even with the keel. I guess a jack plate will take care of this?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160971072224?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Rated up to 175 horse, my motor is a 150.

Becket

blazeracer said:
OK, had a guy come by the shop the other day and said the motor was too low. Ideally the prop shaft should be even with the keel. I guess a jack plate will take care of this?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160971072224?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

It is just right, CAV plate is even with keel. Never heard of the Prop shaft even with the Keel???

Crusader

He's right James. Ideally the cavitation plate should be about two inches above the keel.... Right now theres a ton of drag when you're on a plane as the Cav plate is partially submerged.

Also....you'll want to look into a more modern propeller too......that way you'll get more stern lift and less cavitation. Ditch the whale tale......that's a band aid to the real problem....an improperly propped boat.

Crusader

Gas-Hole said:
blazeracer said:

It is just right, CAV plate is even with keel. Never heard of the Prop shaft even with the Keel???

I hate to argue with you on this.......but in order to get some better performance out of this motor, he's going to have to raise it.

Becket

Crusader said:
He's right James. Ideally the cavitation plate should be about two inches above the keel.... Right now theres a ton of drag when you're on a plane as the Cav plate is partially submerged.

Also....you'll want to look into a more modern propeller too......that way you'll get more stern lift and less cavitation. Ditch the whale tale......that's a band aid to the real problem....an improperly propped boat.
I'll go along with up to 2' above the keel, but not prop shaft even with keel. I can't tell from the Picture exactly where it is, put a straight edge on it, even is good, 1-2" up is ok but if you go higher it will cav on plane.

Becket

This Picture ain't close up enough to see good but this is what we used.
The one you show is a nice setup, you have "Tinker" room with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-H-Marine-JP4FADP-HI-JACKER-FIXED-JACK-PLATE-/400408321275?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D160971072224%26ps%3D54

This is just my O'2, if you go with the adjustable J/P then you can experiment, but mount it as high as possible, you mosdef don't want the Cav plate below the keel, also, it has been my experience that when using a HYD J/P you can raise it up too high and lose water pressure, so watch your TT when on plane!

PurpleLiberator

My prop shaft if 11/2 above the pad.  Your suppose to go up with the motor until you lose water pressure the. Go back down a 1/4 inch. So I've been told.

ChryslerJet

Looking at your pic James your about as high as you can go maybe only an inch higher.  Those gills above the output shaft is your water pickup that needs to stay below the keel or you will overheat the motor.

blazeracer

OK, well it's just a cruise around boat for the kids. When me and Cliff's kids are teenagers they'll terrorizing all the lakes in this thing.

Props.... I have the original and a stainless one. It's got a bunch of number that I have no idea what they mean. 48-17314-14 on the stainless one. The aluminum one is painted over and can't read squat.

Crusader

James....to properly prop a boat you'll need to know the max WOT RPM range for your motor and also the gear ratio of your lower unit.

There's so much you need to know in order to get the prop correct or else you'll porpoise, cavitate, take a long time to plane etc etc......

Is there a manufacturer stamped on the stainless prop?

blazeracer

Crusader said:
James....to properly prop a boat you'll need to know the max WOT RPM range for your motor and also the gear ratio of your lower unit.

There's so much you need to know in order to get the prop correct or else you'll porpoise, cavitate, take a long time to plane etc etc......

Is there a manufacturer stamped on the stainless prop?

The black one is the prop Glastron put on it when it was new. I'm sure they had it set for best performance to run the motor safely. The stainless one is the same diameter with what looks like more blade surface manufactured by Quicksilver.