Blaze's Whacker!

blazeracer

Must be the flavor of the month. I scored a 1971 Glastron CV-16 with a Mercury 1500 in line six two stroke "Tower of Power". It's original and complete except for the seats are missing. It should haul some booty pretty good with that monster on back. It needs about everything redone, but it's all good. No hurry on this one, but ain't gonna make take forever either.

It had been sitting in a field for a few years so the tires were shot. I had to stop at Tractor Supply and get some new rubber on it so it would make it home safely.

Attachments

• IMG_20120223_181310.jpg
    IMG_20120223_181310.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 214

blazeracer

spd500 said:
Sweet , you going to rebuild the original motor or upgrade ?

The motor's a 73 according to the title so it's not the original, but I will retore the Tower of Power and just run it. Anybody know a GREAT ob guy? I know nothing of these and will just pay to make this one run. It turns over and has good compression on all 6.

Crusader

Matt has a buddy who restored a boat with a 115 Merc on it.....he's in Oklahoma and i believe he paid someone to rebuild the motor. Might give Matt a call.

Gold Member

blazeracer said:
spd500 said:
Sweet , you going to rebuild the original motor or upgrade ?

The motor's a 73 according to the title so it's not the original, but I will retore the Tower of Power and just run it. Anybody know a GREAT ob guy? I know nothing of these and will just pay to make this one run. It turns over and has good compression on all 6.
Finding parts for it is the problem. I have owned two of them that old.

blazeracer

Well, the Merc was the standard engine in 71 and 72 for sure. It very well could be the boat sat at a dealer for a year or two then got sold with a new OE motor in 72 with the new year model engine, a 73. The guy said the motor was never changed. Here's a couple of pics. Now I know what to get in seats. Might not happen.

WAFOBABY

guess after the boat show us just had to run out and find one.      You might talk to Brain Franklin he is good with O/B motors.  I need to get into saleing stove washer dryers home app.  :smile16:  Just kidding.

blazeracer

WAFOBABY said:
guess after the boat show us just had to run out and find one.      You might talk to Brain Franklin he is good with O/B motors.  I need to get into saleing stove washer dryers home app.  :smile16:  Just kidding.

Hey man, that one at the boat show was $28,000. This one was about $27,600 less.. LOL

Knotty Girl

Any question you may have or part you may need go to Scream and Fly web sight. done!

Oh and by the way I am digg'n it.  clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

blazeracer

Knotty said:
Any question you may have or part you may need go to Scream and Fly web sight. done!

Already got the dimensions to cut the wood for the original seats from Classic Glastron website. Scream and Fly will be great for motor info. I think the only headache on this boat will be the wiring. It's all gone, but I have a pigtail that was cut from the motor. The motor's internal wiring is gone also, but the guy said the motor harnesses are available. There's a 1500 tower on CL now for $350 with no bottom end on it, but the top part with the engine is complete, wiring, carbs and all.

Knotty Girl

blazeracer said:
Knotty said:

Already got the dimensions to cut the wood for the original seats from Classic Glastron website. Scream and Fly will be great for motor info. I think the only headache on this boat will be the wiring. It's all gone, but I have a pigtail that was cut from the motor. The motor's internal wiring is gone also, but the guy said the motor harnesses are available. There's a 1500 tower on CL now for $350 with no bottom end on it, but the top part with the engine is complete, wiring, carbs and all.

I am looking foward to watching the project.  jump.gif

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
Knotty said:

That's a pretty good deal right there and the extra motor would go a long way as well.  The wiring harnesses are available but expensive in good shape.  Might be easier, cheaper and better to rewire with a newer harness and connectors.  I had a 115 merc I sold complete with the wiring harness for $300 about a year ago.
Good luck with the project.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
They offer brand new wiring harnesses for most of the motors. The prices aren't that bad for how long they should last. Check with CDI Electronics, and there are a few others as well. :smile30:

blazeracer

Thanks everyone. The hull will be easy. The floor needs to be replaced from front to back, but it's only like 22 inches wide. The transom is rock solid. I'll keep the paint simple, blue on white with no flake this time. The seats will be easy. Build new frames and take em to Browns.

But before I get too deep into this one, I have an LS motor to finish. Didn't really need this boat, but for $400 couldn't say no. I'm a sucker for a stylish Glastron. LOL

Devilman

Should be a fun little sled to run around in. My grandparents had one real similar to that. Grew up spending many a summer afternoon riding & gettin drug around on a tube behind it.

There is one for sale not too far from where I work, may be a little newer? Windshield is a little different, more laid back & not so tall, has a 140 Evinrude on it.. :cool: