Work Continues On The Glastron

Crusader

Captin Hazlewood said:
TexasJet said:
There may be exceptions, but generally, boats with a foot pedal throttle have the steering on the left side. If it has a hand throttle, steering is on the right side.
Actually the determining factor is Engine torque... an outboard has the steering on the starboard side due to the fact the propeller torque causes that side of the boat to rise up... putting the drivers weight on that side counteracts the effect. Likewise on a jetboat, the engine torque causes the port side to rise up. A jet rigged with the driver on the starboard side is incorrect rigging just as is an outboard with the steering on the port side.
HTH

Thanks George....I was trying to figure out why the left and right side drive wasn't standard on boats....now I do know as what you said makes complete sense....

Disturbed

Explain a vdrive.  Engine torque lifts the RH rear of the boat.  LH prop torque lifts LH side of boat.  Makes sense.  Vdrives are perfect!!!!!! 

:smile16: :smile16: :smile30:

KONA77

DISTURBED said:
Explain a vdrive.  Engine torque lifts the RH rear of the boat.  LH prop torque lifts LH side of boat.  Makes sense.  Vdrives are perfect!!!!!! 

how long did you ponder on that ??  :grin:

Disturbed

KONA said:
DISTURBED said:

You'd be surprised.  think.gif

KONA77

DISTURBED said:
KONA said:
DISTURBED said:

You'd be surprised.  think.gif

that long  :huh: :laugh: :laugh:

for a better visual... watch some drag boat racing prior to the W drive..... you will see how it lifts the side of the boat...  the W drive as well as any twin engine boat has counter rotating propellers, canceling the torque effect.... now the drag boats launch nice and straight....

FL350

Administrator
Captin Hazlewood said:
for a better visual... watch some drag boat racing prior to the W drive..... you will see how it lifts the side of the boat...  the W drive as well as any twin engine boat has counter rotating propellers, canceling the torque effect.... now the drag boats launch nice and straight....
What about these..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
FL350 said:
Captin Hazlewood said:
What about these..
Those are just wrong! :evil:

FL350 said:
Captin Hazlewood said:
What about these..
Single vdrive ...prop... like the old drag boats prior to the W.... You have a question?

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Captin Hazlewood said:
FL350 said:
Captin Hazlewood said:
What about these..
Single vdrive ...prop... like the old drag boats prior to the W.... You have a question?

I believe Stacy is pointing out that the engine is forward facing and driven off the crank snout instead of the flywheel.  That would change the direction of torque twist in relation to the prop... except then wouldn't he need to run a reverse prop?  s***.  Now I am confused.  I will stick with the jets and sit in the corner with my mouth shut on this V-drive stuff.

Captin Hazlewood said:
James with your talent, have you checked into a new un-rigged 19 from Liberator? Sound like you are approaching that territory.. $$$

I mentioned that to him on the way home from looking at the Mirage.  For what it is worth I think James made the right decision passing on this one.  It is a cool boat but it needs a little TLC.  It is unique but that often means hard to sell.  Not that you can ever get your money back from a boat but it will be much easier with something like a Cheyenne, Daytona VS that Mirage.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That's sad that the boat has deteriorated! It is definitely different. I guess he'll have to buy the pink one now! :smile30: