Suggestions & Gripes

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Well it looks like Camman got the security issue and admin issue figured out over the holiday. When he makes changes, you may have to clear your cookies on your browser to get the site to function normal. I actually had to log out of THB with in the site itself, then delete the shortcut on my browser. Then I cleared the browser cookies, signed back into THB homepage. Then I saved the shortcut back into my browser. So now it works great. I know it sounds like a royal pita. But in order for the changes to take place, it is what is necessary. THB is an old site by every definition, so bringing the Old girl up to par isn't  an easy task. We will get it all figured out. We are currently trying to resolve the issues with the gallery. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it soon.  :smile14: Keep griping,complaining, complimenting, and what ever it is you feel like doing. We like the traffic! :smile17:

Crusader

Patchman said:
Well it looks like Camman got the security issue and admin issue figured out over the holiday. When he makes changes, you may have to clear your cookies on your browser to get the site to function normal. I actually had to log out of THB with in the site itself, then delete the shortcut on my browser. Then I cleared the browser cookies, signed back into THB homepage. Then I saved the shortcut back into my browser. So now it works great. I know it sounds like a royal pita. But in order for the changes to take place, it is what is necessary. THB is an old site by every definition, so bringing the Old girl up to par isn't  an easy task. We will get it all figured out. We are currently trying to resolve the issues with the gallery. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it soon.  :smile14: Keep griping,complaining, complimenting, and what ever it is you feel like doing. We like the traffic! :smile17:

Thanks Patch.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Thanks for keeping it alive .. Still the best site for keeping up with events and BS
Your welcome Billy! I want to try to get THB back to what it had been. I realize it will take someone ( Myself) to figure out when to host some THB events again. Hopefully we can get some more people out together again like we used to. I know allot of faces have come and gone, but there is still a good size community here, even though they are quiet. I have some ideas, and hopefully I can lean on some folks in the near future to get some more events going! Plus I think it's time for some new THB banners and swag. My previous thoughts kind of didn't pan out. So I'm looking for new options! :smile17:

Drumzilla

Hey.. I can log in from the left side of the home page again... 

I call that a win Steve.. clap.gif  :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
DrumZilla said:
Hey.. I can log in from the left side of the home page again... 

I call that a win Steve.. clap.gif  :smile30:
Glad to have you back! ( I think) :smile16:

Devilman

I got used to using the other one, didn't realize it was fixed. crazy.gif

Whats the story with the gallery?

Thanks for ya'll tinkering with it.  :smile17:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Allot of the gallery pics where hosted on third party sites that people let their membership expire. So really when you click on a pic, it was a link to that site. Our computers saved the links as cookies of the pic. So when we updated the site, it forced us to wipe the saved cookies, which in turn removed the pics from our systems. So we are working on seeing what we can do with the gallery to fix what still remains or at least get access to what still exists. All the links to the third party sites are what make it un-secure. So there is that as well. At least that is how I understand it. If any of you are feeling froggy, and want to help with the site ( content and what not) let me know! I'm looking for all the help or ideas we can get! Cameron is doing what he can when he can, but he is a full time student who has a job. Tech support would be nice, but just someone to find stuff to post and talk about would be much appreciated! We have created a TexasHotBoats Youtube channel as well. We needs videos for that too! I run between 2 jobs, and working on a 3rd, so yes I drop the ball on a regular basis. But I'm always open to suggestions!

THB was really a nice website back when it was created. Cookieman & Wingman did a great job with what was available for the time. It has stood over the years and introduced allot of us to our boating brothers! It has brought me to this boating family, and for that I owe it one. So this is how I pay it back, and hopefully it will continue to do what it's main function has always been. The Facebook side is just a continuation of the same platform. It has to grow and evolve, so changes will be made as we need to. But I am trying to stick with the core look and feel for as long as I can continue to operate the site as is.
New functions will come about, and there will be some new sponsors as well. So yes, you will see ads posted up in places.  :evil: But stick with us, we will continue to improve ( even if it doesn't seem like it) the site as we figure it out. When it is all said and done, THB will be the place to go for boating peeps! :smile17:

Devilman

I thought the gallery was part of the site itself.. the host I guess you'd say. I know it always seemed like a hassle to upload pics there, but once they were there, they were there. Lot of people use or used Photobucket, including myself occasionally.. but it seems to have issues of it's own so may be why it's affecting pics posted here. Not sure how it all works, but I know there is a difference in having pics loaded in the gallery & including them in a post versus posting them as an attachment in the posts. I also know the THB gallery is still "out there" functiong in some fashion, because thats where my sig pic is located and it still shows up, both here & RDP far as I can tell.

What kind of stuff do you need help with. I will if I can, I have time during the day since I'm sitting in front of a computer anyway.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You are right, there are allot of pics that are posted to the gallery. Just some aren't actually residing there. Those pics that are hosted on other servers are part of the problem. We have unlimited space on our server now, and we changed the restriction on photo upload size. All these things were probably necessary at the time they were setup, not so much with our current plan! We will figure it out at some point.

As for help, post up topics! Let us know what you are working on, visiting, fishing, boating so on. We need content for peeps to cuss and discuss. I would really like to avoid politics and personal drama! I don't like to read that stuff. But some of us have pretty interesting days! Take a pic and post every now and then. I am going to pick up a nice action camera. Start taking some videos of cool stuff. I would like to get a drone at some point, or link up with someone who has one and shoots boating stuff. I look at the past and see what everyone used to do to make this place awesome. It was that they hosted events, made t-shirts. Posted up a banner and took group photos. All that effort is what made THB what it is. Somewhere that effort got lost. It was no-one's fault really, we are all just so busy all the time. So I have to look at what we did that worked, and what we don't do now. I have scheduled my work where I get two weekends off a month. So hopefully I'll return to boating again more so than I have in the past two years. Time to get the jet boat finished, and hit the water in the Ol Hawaiian! :smile17: Then Cam and myself are working on some stickers and hopefully T-shirts. They will be simple at first, but at least it is something to start with. If anyone has connections/friends who do that type of thing, let's talk. We need artwork! ( Devilman) We always love the sweet cartoon stuff you come up with! I would like to figure out a Spring gathering, and do up some event shirts and what not. Like I said get back to who we are, not what we have become! Some of you guys where here long before me! I could really use your suggestions and info to help get this place back to it's roots if you will. I know we have lost people, and some of them where a big part of this place. But what better way to remember them, than  to keep our community of friends together and strong. When I joined up, I spent the most part of two years running to different lakes I had never been on before.

If someone wants to put on an event and needs some help, let me know! I want to get THB out there again, and get people on the water again. That is the whole purpose of this place. Boating & friends.

I don't think it is a good idea for me to drink three cups of coffee in the morning. I feel like I have been writing campaign promises! crazy.gif crazy.gif

Devilman

Patchman said:
I don't think it is a good idea for me to drink three cups of coffee in the morning. I feel like I have been writing campaign promises! crazy.gif crazy.gif

I would tend to agree with this. :smile26: :smile16:

I hear ya though. :smile14: I have said the same thing, seems like we used to go & do so much more than what we've been doing last couple of years. Not sure what's up with that. I know people get busy with life & whatnot, but I wonder sometimes what exactly we were doing instead of boating or camping, etc..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I look back and there where allot of weekends just staying around the house. I did more when gas was almost $5.00 a gallon, than I do now. It's a time thing I think. I allow too many things to consume my time. Then the other half I'm doing not much of nothing because I say I'm wore out. I have been on a mission to make sure I go down to the shop on a daily basis and try and get something accomplished. It has been too easy to go home and stay at the house rather than wander down to the shop at night. I have found that even though I still see the shop as a job after my real job, I do like my time down there. Last weekend I had both boys down there working with me, and that was cool. But I do like the by-myself time very much. Plus getting another shop radio was a big plus. I gots to have some noise while I'm down there! :smile17: