Stalling.... maybe basset t fitting goin?

Disturbed

Set the float levels, adjust the water dump gate valve so the water doesn't come in until 2500 rpm, problem solved.

oldbuck40

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Today my boat ran great except for 2 times it stalled after I was in it pretty good. I didn't instantly let off I did it smooth. The first time it took me 15-20 mins of sitting to get her fired up again. When I finally did lots of steam came outta the headers. The second time it started instantly but again blew a lot of steam. Could my t fitting be going out? Seems like its not shutting the water off fast enough maybe?

After reading all the horror stories I'm thinking I'm just going to get away from water injected headers and running dry. Seems a lot less bs to mess or worry about. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
First thing i would do is check to see if the vent is working properly on the fuel tank or tanks! Easy check is to pop the lid and run it a bit to see if it stalls. My Taylor SS Did that a bunch when i put that blown motor in it. Pretty much running out of fuel because of no vent.

And if its stalling while running a pretty good clip across the lake,,,well you got plenty of water in the headers when it dies and it does not have time to blow it out like it would if it were still running and the T valve shuts at 1300 rpm. :smile30:

EMBRACETHEHATE

oldbuck40 said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Today my boat ran great except for 2 times it stalled after I was in it pretty good. I didn't instantly let off I did it smooth. The first time it took me 15-20 mins of sitting to get her fired up again. When I finally did lots of steam came outta the headers. The second time it started instantly but again blew a lot of steam. Could my t fitting be going out? Seems like its not shutting the water off fast enough maybe?

After reading all the horror stories I'm thinking I'm just going to get away from water injected headers and running dry. Seems a lot less bs to mess or worry about. Any ideas?

First thing i would do is check to see if the vent is working properly on the fuel tank or tanks! Easy check is to pop the lid and run it a bit to see if it stalls. My Taylor SS Did that a bunch when i put that blown motor in it. Pretty much running out of fuel because of no vent.

And if its stalling while running a pretty good clip across the lake,,,well you got plenty of water in the headers when it dies and it does not have time to blow it out like it would if it were still running and the T valve shuts at 1300 rpm. :smile30:
thanks! Will do!

$HAG NA$TY

Hey also, Stupid little things like fuel filters can be really dirty. Its amazing what a brand new fuel filter will do!! I have 2 filters.. 1 going off each tank. check it out couldnt hurt, and its a cheap part. Also what kind of fuel pump do you run? Mechanical or Electric? (personally) I've had nothing but problems with electric fuel pumps.. they work great for a while, then they just go out, always replacing them. my buddy had the same problem as what it sounds like you are describing.. we changed out the electric pump and put a stock mechanical pump in and ran perfect again. I run a Mechanical pump on my BBF. Just go through the basics and you'll figure it out...  :smile17:

EMBRACETHEHATE

$HAG NA$TY said:
Hey also, Stupid little things like fuel filters can be really dirty. Its amazing what a brand new fuel filter will do!! I have 2 filters.. 1 going off each tank. check it out couldnt hurt, and its a cheap part. Also what kind of fuel pump do you run? Mechanical or Electric? (personally) I've had nothing but problems with electric fuel pumps.. they work great for a while, then they just go out, always replacing them. my buddy had the same problem as what it sounds like you are describing.. we changed out the electric pump and put a stock mechanical pump in and ran perfect again. I run a Mechanical pump on my BBF. Just go through the basics and you'll figure it out...  :smile17:
has new filters did that after the carb rebuild. New fuel line as well. I have a mechanical pump, forget what brand.

blazeracer

I had a float stick on my boat when it was carb'd and it ran like shite all the way back to the ramp.

What some guys do is run a manual ball valve up to the driver seat and mount it to the stringer. You manually close it when you're done hauling the mail, open it up when you're running it out. Just gotta remember to open and close it. The guys that have them say after a couple of times on the water it's second nature to work the valve, and a manual valve never fails. Only the driver does.

Check the weep holes. Even if it cuts off while running the weep holes should let the water drain.

EMBRACETHEHATE

The boat ran great til last weekend, so i think the float levels are ok. I will check to be sure, im kinda betting its a sticky float. Im goin to do all the advice ive been given this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

EMBRACETHEHATE

DrumZilla said:
Bring it to Somerville this Sat.      :smile30:
Totally would but i do not trust the trailer, thats on my list to do. Its fine towing 2 miles to the launch ramp. 100+ may end in blown bearings, wheels flying off, maybe even death.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Death would not be good. Get that trailer fixed man, boating season is upon us and there are gatherings all over the place. Got to be road worthy! :smile16:

Devilman

Another note on the valve situation, if you were to go that route... I didn't even run mine up to the driver seat. Mine is right off the manifold, placing it right below the top of the back seat.

No pics that actually show it, but this pic gives an idea where it is. Easy to get to either by myself or a passenger. No extra plumbing or lines, etc..

EMBRACETHEHATE

Patchman said:
Death would not be good. Get that trailer fixed man, boating season is upon us and there are gatherings all over the place. Got to be road worthy! :smile16:
I'm waiting on my uncle to get one of their ski boats out of the lift. Then trailer will be worked on. New bearings, paint, bunks, lights, and carpet.

KONA77

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Patchman said:
I'm waiting on my uncle to get one of their ski boats out of the lift. Then trailer will be worked on. New bearings, paint, bunks, lights, and carpet.

all ya need is a tractor and a few tires  :smile16:

EMBRACETHEHATE

So im thinking im goin to do some major stuff this weekend, paint my new to me headers, new steel header gaskets, paint the pump, pull the manifold clean it all up and replace gasket, check float levels, polish the bell housing, and install my carb riser. Probably take me 2
Weekends. But if all checks out ok she will be sound. Next would be to polish the ol girl.

Can you get manifold gaskets at napa? Or do i need to order from jegs?

KONA77

hard to say now adays,  but you should be able to get gaskets, 

not gonna get to much input most guys are head to the lake  :grin:

EMBRACETHEHATE

KONA said:
hard to say now adays,  but you should be able to get gaskets, 

not gonna get to much input most guys are head to the lake  :grin:
haha ya, ill figure it out. I need to tear into this thing and get familar. Dumb question what weight oil should i run? 10w30? Or something thicker?