Stalling.... maybe basset t fitting goin?

EMBRACETHEHATE

Today my boat ran great except for 2 times it stalled after I was in it pretty good. I didn't instantly let off I did it smooth. The first time it took me 15-20 mins of sitting to get her fired up again. When I finally did lots of steam came outta the headers. The second time it started instantly but again blew a lot of steam. Could my t fitting be going out? Seems like its not shutting the water off fast enough maybe?

After reading all the horror stories I'm thinking I'm just going to get away from water injected headers and running dry. Seems a lot less bs to mess or worry about. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Becket

Take it apart and clean it, it don't take much to make it leak by, I keep mine hand tight so it is easy to do on the water if needed.

Another thing you can do to UP the open/close pressure is bend the tang of the spring (on the Ball end) across the spring hollow so that the ball has more force on it and it will open later-close earlier. this is what I did with mine, other than the occasional trash it works fine now, no worries. 

Try cleaning it first though, prolly just has some trash in it.

SimplyOrange

its probably not stalling because of the water, the steam is probably because of the boat still moving and the engine killed letting the water into the headers.

EMBRACETHEHATE

SimplyOrange said:
its probably not stalling because of the water, the steam is probably because of the boat still moving and the engine killed letting the water into the headers.
so what are you saying here? Fuel issue? I also thought of maybe an air bubble in the fuel line. When I would crank on it the first time it would barely sputter but that's it.

Becket

SimplyOrange said:
I'm not understanding your Logic? UNLESS he is saying it stalls WELL BEFORE it gets down to idle, I could be reading it wrong, Mine WOULD stall at Idle if T Valve was stuck, By Bending the Tang of the Spring (more pressure on the Ball) it will dry out the Headers well before it gets to down to Idle.

But of course that is not the only thing that will stall it, but it IS what was stalling mine (at idle), Could be a number of things though, this is just one place to start looking if you suspect water reversion, and it does sound like that's what is happening to you (if you are at idle when it stalls), the Headers "Should not" steam at start up, they should have dried out before it reached Idle,  Steam at start up means Water was there when it died. (Not good) OR......Blown Head gasket(s)  :smile20:

EMBRACETHEHATE

Gas-Hole said:
SimplyOrange said:
I'm not understanding your Logic? UNLESS he is saying it stalls WELL BEFORE it gets down to idle, I could be reading it wrong, Mine WOULD stall at Idle if T Valve was stuck, By Bending the Tang of the Spring (more pressure on the Ball) it will dry out the Headers well before it gets to down to Idle.

But of course that is not the only thing that will stall it, but it IS what was stalling mine (at idle), Could be a number of things though, this is just one place to start looking if you suspect water reversion, and it does sound like that's what is happening to you (if you are at idle when it stalls), the Headers "Should not" steam at start up, they should have dried out before it reached Idle,  Steam at start up means Water was there when it died. (Not good) OR......Blown Head gasket(s)  :smile20:
that is what i was thinking. I know it doesnt have blown head gaskets i ran it for 3 hrs after the first stall. Im goin to try your fix. After that im converting to dry.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Becket

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Gas-Hole said:
SimplyOrange said:

that is what i was thinking. I know it doesnt have blown head gaskets i ran it for 3 hrs after the first stall. Im goin to try your fix. After that im converting to dry.

Dry headers will fix any Water reversion issues for sure, But will also limit you to where you can run your Sled, LOTS/MOST lakes REQUIRE Water injected Headers, least ways down here in the South they do.

jimsplace

Gas-Hole said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Gas-Hole said:
SimplyOrange said:

Dry headers will fix any Water reversion issues for sure, But will also limit you to where you can run your Sled, LOTS/MOST lakes REQUIRE Water injected Headers, least ways down here in the South they do.

I don't know about your lake, but most Texas lakes don't require water in the headers, only mufflers.
Water is required for log manifolds, but they would get destroyed without water anyway.
    :smile17:

EMBRACETHEHATE

Don said:
if your headers flooded with water make sure you check your oil milk is not good
yes good idea feel like an idiot for not thinking that.

Gas-Hole said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Gas-Hole said:
SimplyOrange said:

my home lake doesnt require them. Id rather take the ticket then hydro lock my engine.

EMBRACETHEHATE

DrumZilla said:
Ceramic coated zoomies.... :smile17:
yes either those or a set of basset shortys. Im in the market for which ever I find first. I really like the look of basset shortys. The zoomies would be different and cool as well.

$HAG NA$TY

I had a similar problem with running my headers too wet.. the boat ran like shit and a little bit of water in the oil.. (not much) but enough to make me wonder.. so I drained the oil and ran diesel gas thorough the cylinders then added fresh oil and ran little to no water through the headers on the next outing then I messed with my valve going to the headers and found the sweet spot. I would double check the the amount of water you have going into the headers. Nothing should be coming out at Idle It should really start flowing out at about 2500 rpm or more. Also you could check the weep holes on the bottom of the headers. they might be clogged with corrosion or rust.  think.gif

EMBRACETHEHATE

$HAG NA$TY said:
I had a similar problem with running my headers too wet.. the boat ran like s*** and a little bit of water in the oil.. (not much) but enough to make me wonder.. so I drained the oil and ran diesel gas thorough the cylinders then added fresh oil and ran little to no water through the headers on the next outing then I messed with my valve going to the headers and found the sweet spot. I would double check the the amount of water you have going into the headers. Nothing should be coming out at Idle It should really start flowing out at about 2500 rpm or more. Also you could check the weep holes on the bottom of the headers. they might be clogged with corrosion or rust.  think.gif
no water at idle as far as I can tell. Will look over the weep holes. Few others have said maybe a vacuum leak. I really need to just work on the boat one weekend. Also could even be a loose wire.

I keep forgetting this boat hasn't had this much attention since the late 90s! Need to work out the gremlins!

Becket

jimsplace said:
Gas-Hole said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:
Gas-Hole said:
SimplyOrange said:

that is what i was thinking. I know it doesn't have blown head gaskets i ran it for 3 hrs after the first stall. I'm goin to try your fix. After that im converting to dry.

I don't know about your lake, but most Texas lakes don't require water in the headers, only mufflers.
Water is required for log manifolds, but they would get destroyed without water anyway.
    :smile17:
I may have misconstrued what I meant to say, I can Boil it down to this; I had a chat with the LEO in Somerville during our outing at the lake during Easter, I was running Wet but W/O Baffles, that's what brought on the chat, She was friendly and informative when I asked about these things, she said there are allot of misconceptions about the rules and different Leo's have different takes on the matter, she said if you are on a ACOE lake anywhere in Texas and you are running O/T Headers, they "Must" have both water and Mufflers/Baffles, her words, not mine, then she went on to say that not all Leo's enforce this rule or will accept one without the other (Kinda make up the Rules as they see fit) but it is the Rule, take it for what it is worth.

And For the Record, YB 468 and myself were the only 2 Jets on the water until Saturday, so it was not  Crowded water or complaint from some Cranky Fisherman that brought on the chat, we were running from Rocky around towards Pecan only and she was Patrolling the Damn area, she heard us and came to chat.

Becket

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Here is what Txas parks and Wildlife faxed to me from the office in Austin ..

linj to topic in here from before http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=12311.0
Yep, I am with you, I have the same Fax, I don't Run dry so I was not gonna argue with her, (She had the Gun) She was adamant about the "Rules" as she is the Ruler of the Pond.. so to speak.  IF I was to ever Run Dry I would have a copy of this Laminated and in my Sled at all times.

73 Sanger Flat

I have multiple copies in and around the boat .. I alway keep one set in the boat at all times now ..  They will still give you a ticket if they want to . But I think we would win if it went to court .. They alway think they are in charge .  I just try and not piss them off and let them think they are in charge ..