20180306_093113.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 16

Longstr

Buttoned up, I will tab it and wrap it all one more time and done w that part

Attachments

• C358295A-AEAE-42B1-B2A9-2EB2529B0FC2.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20

Devilman

Going back a little, what was the idea for what you did with the center stringer... with the foam block, etc... Since that is where any accumulated water would naturally pool up, that foam/glassed area will withstand possible deterioration better than just wood I guess? Still actually drains to the bilge I would assume.

Longstr

Devilman said:
Going back a little, what was the idea for what you did with the center stringer... with the foam block, etc... Since that is where any accumulated water would naturally pool up, that foam/glassed area will withstand possible deterioration better than just wood I guess? Still actually drains to the bilge I would assume.

Basically instead of having two holes in the last floor divider one on each side of the center stinger, I cut a small portion of the wood out of the center stringer, added a little pour foam to that section which is encapsulated, then drilled my holes thru the foam to meet in the middle, coated everything in resin. I guess my thought process was if there was no wood around the holes I had to drill it couldn’t rot.

Devilman

Longstr said:
Basically instead of having two holes in the last floor divider one on each side of the center stinger, I cut a small portion of the wood out of the center stringer, added a little pour foam to that section which is encapsulated, then drilled my holes thru the foam to meet in the middle, coated everything in resin. I guess my thought process was if there was no wood around the holes I had to drill it couldn’t rot.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you ever run across any that didn't have a drain there? The knucklehead that did my floor did not put one in mine. So even with a new floor, with gelcoating & no carpet, it still makes me wonder if water can accumulate under there & then be trapped.

Longstr

Devilman said:
Longstr said:

Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you ever run across any that didn't have a drain there? The knucklehead that did my floor did not put one in mine. So even with a new floor, with gelcoating & no carpet, it still makes me wonder if water can accumulate under there & then be trapped.

Yes, the Taylor I redid, I didn’t put a drain there I went back and forth about it however I decided since I was re-doing it all and sistering everything to the floor not drilling a single hole thru it I decided this would be the best approach, I put foam back in it too. This boat has holes thru the floor for gas pedal so it’s gonna leak there. Also condensation from a 120 degree floor to a cold hull in the water will build up. I am currently considering putting a drain plug in this hole? Not sure yet

Devilman

Longstr said:
Yes, the Taylor I redid, I didn’t put a drain there I went back and forth about it however I decided since I was reduingn it all and sistering everything to the floor not drilling a single hole thru it I decided this would be the best approach, I put foam back in it too. This boat has holes thru the floor for gas pedal so it’s gonna leak there. Also condensation from a 120 degree floor to a cold hull in the water will build up. I am currently nsodering putting a drain plug in this hole? Not sure yet

Ugh, I didn't even consider condensation. Although, it was done 13 years ago & floor is still solid. I made as few & as small of holes I could get away on the things I did screw to the floor. Used stainless screws coated with silicone. I don't really get a lot of water in the boat & being as how there is no carpet to hold moisture, what little water does get in there just rolls right back to the rear of the boat. I guess when I get around to pulling the engine at some point I may drill thru there & see if any water comes out. There is no foam under my floor so anything in there should come right out I would think.

Looking forward to your progress, it's interesting to follow along.

Crusader

To mount my seats, gas pedal, diverter handle and sub woofer, I made sacrificial mounts with T nuts underneath them. I glued the mounts to the floor and if they rot, I grind them off and glue new ones down. That way my floor is never penetrated and the stringers and deck are always dry. That was six years ago and it all looks like new.

Longstr

Bingo Cliff! That’s the way it should be done I believe u and I discussed this same issue when I was doing the SS

Devilman

Cliff didn't share that info with me, I musta been on the pay no mind list.... :smile24: :smile28:

Longstr

There was holes all over the stringer transom that will be no more, also 32 holes around the top deck that will be filled. And as soon as the floor is done it’s going to body shop to color match the filled holes and a re-clear to the top deck :smile19:

Longstr

On to the transom have at least 20 holes to fill, sand whole thing down, ad a couple layers of glass and prep for paint

Crusader

Devilman said:
Cliff didn't share that info with me, I musta been on the pay no mind list.... :smile24: :smile28:

Hahahaha...Kenny, it was in my Crusader rebuild thread back in 2012.......

Longstr

Not much to show on the transom, all the holes are filled, whole thing is sanded to remove the spackle finish it had, I will reinforce it with 2 additional layers of glass, and I am also building swim step reinforcements out of wood that should strengthen up that. Hopefully will get the stringers back in soon