Please allow me to introduce myself

73 Sanger Flat

DeanHarvey said:
Dry Dock said:
Dean,

you are not by chance related to Billy are you?

Not that I know of. Is he plagued with bad luck too?

yes I am -- Bad Luck should be my name when it come to my boat ..  Sorry you had trouble .. At least it did not tear up the pistons and crank also .. Hang in there , it will be well worth it when you do get to take it out and lay a good pass down ..

Guys,

Here are some pictures of the culprit!

There was more damage than I had hoped. The needles from the lifter ping ponged around the inside of the engine before ending up in the pan and put some pretty deep gouges in the rods/pistons. I would be afraid to run them because of the stress risers created by the gouges.

Looks like I get to spend a bunch more money to get this thing in the water. I am too far into this thing to not do it right. I will go with large diameter solid bushing lifters (no needle bearings) on the rebuild to try and prevent this from a happening again (at least until I can make a run or two).

I wrote Comp Cams and told them about the failure and offered up pictures etc. We will see if they will stand behind their product since I was running their cam, lifters, and their recommended valve springs.

I am just glad it was a metal failure and not something I assembled wrong. The engine bearings look perfect.

Disturbed

T & D style rockers or conventional?

I would suspect that Comp is going to suggest that the valve train geometry is incorrect or that valve train was mis-adjusted. It's their 'get-out-of-jail' statement.  Any broken/bent pushrods?

think.gif

galen

Those needles do some damage. Cylinder walls, pistons,  oil pump gears. My comp lifter failed 100 feet from my driveway.  I am going Isky EZ roll max on Billys since it is apart. They told me they are good for boosted and up to 1200 lbs valve spring pressure. If nothing else maybe contain the failure to the cam and lifter. Don't do like me. I broke down cost into hours on the water,  wish I had not done that. Nice Cole, probably got Billy drooling.

DISTURBED said:

I would suspect that Comp is going to suggest that the valve train geometry is incorrect or that valve train was mis-adjusted. It's their 'get-out-of-jail' statement.  Any broken/bent pushrods?

think.gif

Jesel Pro series shaft rockers. No bent pushrods.

galen said:
Those needles do some damage. Cylinder walls, pistons,  oil pump gears. My comp lifter failed 100 feet from my driveway.  I am going Isky EZ roll max on Billys since it is apart. They told me they are good for boosted and up to 1200 lbs valve spring pressure. If nothing else maybe contain the failure to the cam and lifter. Don't do like me. I broke down cost into hours on the water,  wish I had not done that. Nice Cole, probably got Billy drooling.

Thanks,

I have already decided on Isky. I have always run their stuff but made the mistake of using the Comp Cams lifters that came with the unassembled engine parts that I bought.

I would not want to do any economics on this deal but I have had a lot of fun building it. Can't put a value on that!!!

Dean

73 Sanger Flat

galen said:
yes I am drooling over his boat -- one bad a$$ boat

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Building is fun. But running them is allot more fun! Hopefully the new parts will solve the issue.

Disturbed

DeanHarvey said:
DISTURBED said:

think.gif

Jesel Pro series shaft rockers. No bent pushrods.

Hopefully, they'll make it right.  Good luck!

Knotty Girl

DeanHarvey said:
galen said:

Thanks,

I have already decided on Isky. I have always run their stuff but made the mistake of using the Comp Cams lifters that came with the unassembled engine parts that I bought.

I would not want to do any economics on this deal but I have had a lot of fun building it. Can't put a value on that!!!

Dean

I run an Isky cam and lifters

jimsplace

Patchman said:
Building is fun. But running them is allot more fun! Hopefully the new parts will solve the issue.

I would like to think what your posted is true, but if that's the case, why do I spend so much more time working on mine than running it?
It appears something seems wrong. LOL
    :smile17:

Guys, as some of you have figured out by now, I am a Christian and I believe God is leading me every step of the way in this life. When I was young, I did not listen to his guidance very much but as I get older I am getting better at it.

Over the last year I have had a lot of fun building the boat and I think it is one of the nicest flat bottoms around. I could not wait to get it in the water and try it out but several events have happened that made me feel that it was not meant to be. First my first trial of the boat at our lake house ended up with the police showing up and telling me that I could not run the boat at the lake that we have owned a home at since 1994. Second, the original engine was a disaster and I had to start over (no big deal, I like building), Third, the city that controls the lake wrote the "Dean" law that actually made it illegal for me to run the boat (that really hurt), Fourth, after 15 years of doing motorcycle track days (incident free) and only two weeks from the original scheduled test day, I slam myself into the asphalt at Texas World Speedway and break five bones and almost lose a finger. Fifth, I partially recover from my injuries and schedule the test run again only to break a lifter in the brand new engine only a couple of days before the run.

At that point I was really thinking that God was trying to prevent me from driving the boat. I was still committed until one of the readers on these forums writes me a message telling me he was interested in buying the boat. At that point, I wrote him and told him that I had too much money in it to sell it. Out of that conversation came an opportunity to trade my hull for a 63 split window Corvette Pro Mod chassis/body. I had always planned on building a drag car but was putting it off until later in life. After seeing the car, I started really considering it.

After this offer, I prayed and prayed and had many conversations with the family and decided that this was the route I needed to go. I am sad to see my dream boat go but just have to consider this to be the next chapter in life. I will build the car with the same level of detail that I used on the boat so it should be a real nice car.

I will convert my engine to alcohol and start with the Top Sportsman class. It should be a fun ride that I hope God will guide me through. I will post some pictures when I get the car.

Thanks for all of you guys support with my journey. It did not end the way I thought it would, but I met some of the nicest people I have ever known and had fun. I can't ask for more!!!!

Dean Harvey

73 Sanger Flat

You are always welcome to hang out with us .. You have to do what you think is right and sounds like you are doing that .. God points us in the correct direction .. Keep us updated on your newest project ..

Chevy2184

Man that is a beautiful float! I can't wait to see pics of this vette! Ol Burt88 on the board here has a pretty sweet vette...

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

Guys,

Thanks for all of the support. I am taking the boat to its new owner on Friday. I loaded it up in the trailer for the last time and it was tough. I have put a lot of hours into it.

i am glad it is going to someone who will get to drive it regularly.

When we unload it, we will load up the Pro Mod chassis and body to bring home to my shop. I am excited to have a new project. Once we get it home, we are heading to Oklahoma to buy a 3 speed Lenco Drive automatic transmission that goes in the car.

I will ill take pictures as soon as I get it unloaded and post them.

Thanks again guys,

Dean