Please allow me to introduce myself

Dry Dock,

Did you know my brother Greg Harvey when he worked at Bailey Auto Parts? He had a tan 1965 Mustang with a 289 and drag raced anything that would move, ha! I made money when I was a kid changing clutches in that car when he burned them out about every two weeks. I was about 10 years old when I changed that clutch for the first time. That Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission was heavy for a kid to handle. He used to pay me $15 bucks to do it. I think he took advantage of me!!!!

He used to go out to the Penwell drag strip every Friday night that they had high school grudge races. He knew everyone in the hot rod world because he worked at Bailey"s.

73 Sanger Flat

Welcome aboard and like Wayne said come up to Steel Creek / Plowman Park on lake Whitney and hang out .. I followed most of your post on Performance Boat and asked about your electric water pump .. Hope to meet you one day ..

Disturbed

DeanHarvey said:
Guys,

Here are the specifics of my engine build:

519 cubic inch Big Block Chevy
Donovan HC 700 BBC Aluminum water cooled block, 11.1 inch deck height
4.00 inch Stroke Lunati Signature Blower Series Crank
MGP Billet 7.7 inch long rods (I went with a long rod combo to reduce rod angularity and piston skirt load with high boost pressure)
4.530 inch CP forged pistons (Custom pistons to achieve 9 to 1 compression with very shallow combustion chambers of the ProFiler heads. Deep dish required which eliminates the squish area of a stock BBC)
ProFiler Hitman raised runner oval port heads with rolled over 12 degree valve angle. (makes an extremely small 60cc combustion chamber compared to 220cc on a stock BBC) 2.4 inch titanium intake valves, 1.94 inch titanium exhaust valves.
Jesel Pro Shaft rocker arms
Jesse Cam Belt Drive
Comp Cams custom blower cam grind around .840 inch lift on both intake and exhaust
Comp Cams spings (350 lbs closed, 900+ lbs open)
Indy Competition blower manifold
Moroso 4 stage dry sump pump
Peterson 3 gallon dry sump tank
M&M custom fabricated dry sump pan (pickups have to be at opposite end of pan sections because the engine sits backwards in a V-Drive boat.
Kuhl 14-71 blower
Enderle Big and Ugly tall injector hat
MSD ProMag 44 magneto
MSD Power Grid timing controller (lets me have individual cylinder timing control using a Windows PC interface)
Aerospace components flying magnet crankshaft trigger
VP C116 Race fuel (gasoline)

Are you going to put it on the dyno?
think.gif

Disturbed,

I probably won't until I learn to drive and I am ready to turn the wick up and make some serious horsepower. I have it set up pretty mild right now. Not much blower overdrive or ignition lead in it now. The blower is pretty loose right now too. I figured it was way more than I could handle anyway!!!! There should be room for more oomph later.

I am going to take it easy for a while. My wife is a little scared right now, especially after me planting my body into the pavement at Texas World Speedway three weeks ago on my sport bike. She has not seen me really hurt since my motocross days (many moons ago)  and she is wondering why I chose a flatbottom as my next adventure, ha! She is still supporting me but she just wants me to take it easy while learning.

I was talking about you guys and your support/friendly personalities with her last night and we had a long discussion about this very topic. She told me, I know you know how to make serious horsepower, just don't make too much!!!

She is a smart woman!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You will have all the advice  and coaching you need! ( Probably more than you will want) :smile30:

Disturbed

DeanHarvey said:
Disturbed,

I probably won't until I learn to drive and I am ready to turn the wick up and make some serious horsepower. I have it set up pretty mild right now. Not much blower overdrive or ignition lead in it now. The blower is pretty loose right now too. I figured it was way more than I could handle anyway!!!! There should be room for more oomph later.

I am going to take it easy for a while. My wife is a little scared right now, especially after me planting my body into the pavement at Texas World Speedway three weeks ago on my sport bike. She has not seen me really hurt since my motocross days (many moons ago)  and she is wondering why I chose a flatbottom as my next adventure, ha! She is still supporting me but she just wants me to take it easy while learning.

I was talking about you guys and your support/friendly personalities with her last night and we had a long discussion about this very topic. She told me, I know you know how to make serious horsepower, just don't make too much!!!

She is a smart woman!

I was just curious as to what that combo would make.  I'm in the process of building a blown alky 540. 

I definitely understand the desire to take it slow at first.  The learning curve for driving a flat is pretty tough.  The first time I stabbed mine, I was pretty anxious to get off the throttle.  LOL.  Getting the feel for what is ok handling and what is about to make you feel the pucker factor is a fine line. 

The down pedal is your friend.  :smile16:

Dry Dock

DeanHarvey said:
Dry Dock,

Did you know my brother Greg Harvey when he worked at Bailey Auto Parts? He had a tan 1965 Mustang with a 289 and drag raced anything that would move, ha! I made money when I was a kid changing clutches in that car when he burned them out about every two weeks. I was about 10 years old when I changed that clutch for the first time. That Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission was heavy for a kid to handle. He used to pay me $15 bucks to do it. I think he took advantage of me!!!!

He used to go out to the Penwell drag strip every Friday night that they had high school grudge races. He knew everyone in the hot rod world because he worked at Bailey"s.

I knew Bill Bailey, and his Dad well. Good customers.  Also Jim Stone there.. You might ask him as I sold Bailey C.E. Niehoff Ignition back then and later TRW parts.

Nearly bought a 429 Ford hemi that Bill had on floor. It had polished valve covers, came with a set of Bassett headers and motor mounts to go in the Hondo.  A friend of mine talked me out of it and went with 468 Chev. It was cheaper but still wish I had bought the Ford.

Raced Penwell many times when I Raced and pit crew with Robert Lindquist in the old Dodge AFX funny back in the day. 

Knotty Girl

Patchman said:
You will have all the advice  and coaching you need! ( Probably more than you will want) :smile30:

I do not think you want any coaching from me. I kinda have a bad reputation. Not sure why(oh look squirrel)?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Knotty said:
Patchman said:

I do not think you want any coaching from me. I kinda have a bad reputation. Not sure why(oh look squirrel)?
Plus you drive tricycle! :smile17:

I did a lot of reading about what the big turbocharger outlaw car guys were doing and a bunch of them were doing these long rod combos with all the boost they are putting out. They are getting good life out of engines with mega boost. I also wanted to get a block that was capable of going big stroke/cubes, naturally aspirated/EFI later if I changed my mind about the combo. When I saw that the turbo guys were using these tall deck blocks with short stroke cranks, I thought it was interesting! Indy blower manifolds are also available for this tall deck with high port heads, that was a bonus too. I thought it was an interesting concept to eliminate the squish area in a typical BBC with dished pistons and a small combustion chamber.

I have always liked to try different stuff so that is the direction I went. I actually bought the long block pieces from a guy in Toronto Canada that was building it for a outlaw street car. I got a good deal and all of the pieces were new. My wife got a road trip to Toronto out of the deal and I got some really nice hardware. This is the first time I have built a long rod combo like this so we shall see how it does!!! I know those turbo guys and Pro Charger guys are making mega horsepower with this kind of stuff.

I may have missed the mark but playing around with mechanical things is half of the fun for me.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to seeing it run out a little! We need some other v-drive guys out there! Most just sit on the trailer and give advice! :smile26: :smile14: :smile14:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
I'm looking forward to seeing it run out a little! We need some other v-drive guys out there! Most just sit on the trailer and give advice! :smile26: :smile14: :smile14:

Patch, you need a vdrive!  It would make you one step closer to your transformation into a cool dude.  :smile26:

73 Sanger Flat

Patchman said:
Funny -- I know he not talking about Tim or Me ..

Disturbed

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Patchman said:
Funny -- I know he not talking about Tim or Me ..

No lie.  :smile16:

jimsplace

Since we're remembering the days at Possum Kingdom, I was part of the Patterson / Crockett crowd.
They had the same camp sites and I had one of the cabins at the park every week-end, Friday thru Sunday.

Johnny had a daughter by the name of Christy too.

Johnny's running buddy was Ronald Crockett, and the two of them were known by just about everyone.
Ron bought a new black Hondo in the late 70's with a 454.
Johnny's Cole was one of the V bottom Coles.  It surprised me how well it ran for being a V bottom and it was so easy to drive. 
It also rode surprisingly well compared to my flat.

I had the Stevens flat at the time, which Johnny ended up buying.

What a small world we live in. Who would have thought a bunch of old guys that hung out at a really unknown lake would meet up so many years later. My family had such fun at that lake!

That picture of your Stevens is at PK isn't it?

Like I said, It isn't the same today.