Patchmans Whacker!

Devilman

Well that's good news and all, but give us the details man... Did the corroded bolt just disappear while you were away, how'd you get it apart... crazy.gif :smile16:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I had to take a die grinder to what was left of the head on it! Then I got a screw driver in the small gap in between the two halves and was able to work them apart some more. Once I got a big enough gap for the pry bar to fit in, it was well on it's way to separation! It was severely corroded in there. Surprisingly I was able to get my stud puller on that one, and it came right out. The other two broke bolts were too close to the exhaust passage. So I welded nuts on to whaqt was left of them. One came out no problem, one not so much. After welding another 5 or 6 nuts on the remaining bolt to no avail. I had to come up with a plan B. The bolt was so brittle, it was twisting off when I would try to turn the nut. So I ground it flush, and center punched it. Then I drilled a hole through it. My son was watching at this point, so I had to live up to his expectation of being fix everything Dad! I knew that an easy out wasn't going to be that easy on this application. So I decided to try one more go at the old weld on nut approach! So I welded a nut on the drilled bolt, making sure some of my weld went into the hole that I drilled. And with a few bumps on the wrench, it came right out! No tapping or Heli-coiling! jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif
Needless to say the kiddo was quite impressed with the Old man's skills! :smile17: After the broke bolts, it flew together! So now it's time for a shakedown test! :smile30:

Devilman

Awesome, gotta love a painless conclusion with something like that. Now, try & keep this one out of the sand, K? think.gif :smile28:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Awesome, gotta love a painless conclusion with something like that. Now, try & keep this one out of the sand, K? think.gif :smile28:
That would probably help to keep it out of the sand! I installed a new debris screen! So we should be good! :smile14:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It's sitting in the shop just waiting for somewhere to go. Well actually it is waiting on it's owner to have time to go use it! crazy.gif

Devilman

Patchman said:
It's sitting in the shop just waiting for somewhere to go. Well actually it is waiting on it's owner to have time to go use it! crazy.gif

There's a few of them sitting around due to that same reason. :tongue:

customtouch

Devilman said:
Patchman said:

There's a few of them sitting around due to that same reason. :tongue:

Almost in epidemic proportions and I'm at the top of the list with both ready and not!!! :smile19:  :smile25:

jimsplace

Patchman said:

Everyone has choices, sometimes the priorities get in the way of those choices.
    :smile17:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
DISTURBED said:
Are you ready for a fishing trip?
I'd like to splash it on a test run first. Fighting it on that last trip has me a little gun-shy of that load up and head out untested. That traveling at 2 mph is for the jellyfish! crazy.gif

jimsplace

Patchman said:
DISTURBED said:
I'd like to splash it on a test run first. Fighting it on that last trip has me a little gun-shy of that load up and head out untested. That traveling at 2 mph is for the jellyfish! crazy.gif

Where's that sense of adventure?  Where's that sense of macho attitude?

Personally, I'd make a test run, because that macho crap and adventure can be embarrassing when things don't work out.

Disturbed

Patchman said:
DISTURBED said:
I'd like to splash it on a test run first. Fighting it on that last trip has me a little gun-shy of that load up and head out untested. That traveling at 2 mph is what I'm used to doing while driving a Ford! crazy.gif

Fixed....................

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
DISTURBED said:
Patchman said:
DISTURBED said:
I'd like to splash it on a test run first. Fighting it on that last trip has me a little gun-shy of that load up and head out untested. That traveling at 2 mph is what I'm used to doing while driving a Ford! crazy.gif

Fixed....................
Oh, we have jokes in the house today! :smile14: :smile14: :smile14:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
jimsplace said:
Patchman said:
DISTURBED said:

Where's that sense of adventure?  Where's that sense of macho attitude?

Personally, I'd make a test run, because that macho crap and adventure can be embarrassing when things don't work out.
My sense of adventure left the building last year! I'm trying the older and wiser route this year!  :smile14:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
How's that blower motor coming along? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Further along than the 'Anger Sanger'.  :smile14:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: