My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
I was wondering what happened with that one! think.gif

Yeah the guy was kinda flakey, at first he said he had the title to the boat and  not the trailer, and then he would disappear for several weeks and then the story changed to he had the title to the trailer but not the boat so it kept going back and forth and i always had to call him about it.  Plus he was in VA and the boat was here in Houston so it was just a fubared deal all the way around.  Then the last time i contacted him he said he had sold the boat to someone in Houston for 3500, so not sure where it actually ended up.

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
Yeah i agree, but everything happens for a reason, I'm gonna get this new one fixed up and have some fun with it!

I got a new ignition switch ordered for it, so as soon as that comes in, ill get it installed along with a new battery and some fresh gas and see how the 455 beast runs!  Ill try and remember to take some video to post up on you tube for everyone's enjoyment!  :)

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
That sucks, it looked like it was a cool ride. crazy.gif

Ive always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and when the deal fell thru for that Witchcraft i was bummed.  But about a month or two ago i posted an ad on C looking for it along with the pics i had of it and today i get a call from the guy that bought it for 3K and since then he has had the engine tuned up, and also had the seats redone and they currently need to be reinstalled and he said he replaced all the gauges and has taken the boat out twice and it runs great no issues and as suspected he says it hauls A$$ and sucks gas with the 235 on the back of it.

He has recently moved to Alabama and his son seen my wanted ad on cl and he is looking to sell it for what he has in it which is 4K.  He also said he has clear titles for the boat and trailer but not the outboard which i think isn't a big deal seeing as its so old.

Now that i have the Sea Ray and am fixing it up, id still love to have this Witchcraft as its just one of them you don't see very often and with the work that has been done recently, i think the price is decent but wanted to get some opinions from my fellow boaters. 

Was also thinking how cool it would be to take the 455 and jet drive from the Sea Ray and install it into the Witchcraft and have a badass little witchcraft!  Im not sure how much work it would be but i don't think it would be to hard.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be cool as is. If he is legit, it would probably be a good deal. If I were to guess, that witchcraft is probably faster with the whacker on the back.  :smile23: :smile14:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
I think it would be cool as is. If he is legit, it would probably be a good deal. If I were to guess, that witchcraft is probably faster with the whacker on the back.  :smile23: :smile14:

You're getting closer and closer to being a vdrive guy every day!  clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
Patchman said:

You're getting closer and closer to being a vdrive guy every day!  clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
WOW!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm simply looking at power to weight ratio, 235 HP outboard weighs less than that 235HP BBC and jet pump! :grin: Jet boats Rule!!!!!!!!!!! :smile17:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
I'm simply looking at power to weight ratio, 235 HP outboard weighs less than that 235HP BBC and jet pump! :grin: Jet boats Rule!!!!!!!!!!! :smile17:
Jet pump takes 30% HP in loss.  crazy.gif

Props rule.......  :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just basing it on my experience with my evilrude! That baby performs! :smile28:

ChryslerJet

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Patchman said:

Ive always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and when the deal fell thru for that Witchcraft i was bummed.  But about a month or two ago i posted an ad on C looking for it along with the pics i had of it and today i get a call from the guy that bought it for 3K and since then he has had the engine tuned up, and also had the seats redone and they currently need to be reinstalled and he said he replaced all the gauges and has taken the boat out twice and it runs great no issues and as suspected he says it hauls A$$ and sucks gas with the 235 on the back of it.

He has recently moved to Alabama and his son seen my wanted ad on cl and he is looking to sell it for what he has in it which is 4K.  He also said he has clear titles for the boat and trailer but not the outboard which i think isn't a big deal seeing as its so old.

Now that i have the Sea Ray and am fixing it up, id still love to have this Witchcraft as its just one of them you don't see very often and with the work that has been done recently, i think the price is decent but wanted to get some opinions from my fellow boaters. 

Was also thinking how cool it would be to take the 455 and jet drive from the Sea Ray and install it into the Witchcraft and have a badass little witchcraft!  Im not sure how much work it would be but i don't think it would be to hard.
Why not keep both I am sure the family doesn't want to ride around in the witchcraft and the SeaRay I am sure will be a great family boat. 

SyTy Speed Shop

ChryslerJet said:
SyTy Speed Shop said:
Patchman said:

Was also thinking how cool it would be to take the 455 and jet drive from the Sea Ray and install it into the Witchcraft and have a badass little witchcraft!  I'm not sure how much work it would be but i don't think it would be to hard.
Why not keep both I am sure the family doesn't want to ride around in the witchcraft and the SeaRay I am sure will be a great family boat.

Yeah keeping both wouldn't be to bad either, its just a matter of cost to keep them parked somewhere every month.  The owner of the Witchcraft is out of town so ill let you know when i get a chance to go take a look at it and see about working out a deal.

SyTy Speed Shop

Well rain all day today means not much progress on the boat.  But i do have a question, are there any requirements for the type of battery box you have to use and how its mounted?  There is no battery or box so i just want to get the right parts and not have to redo it later on. 

And is an actual marine battery a requirement? or just works better?

Devilman

If there are requirements for battery boxes I have not ever heard of them. It's not fancy but all I've ever used is one of those black plastic ones like this:

31MOir-N1tL__SL500_AA280_.27170201_std.jpg

Also seen these, a battery hold down. Something like this:

battery-tray_f.jpg

They get fancier from there.  :grin:

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
If there are requirements for battery boxes I have not ever heard of them. It's not fancy but all I've ever used is one of those black plastic ones like this:

31MOir-N1tL__SL500_AA280_.27170201_std.jpg

Also seen these, a battery hold down. Something like this:

battery-tray_f.jpg

They get fancier from there.  :grin:

Ok, yeah i was looking at one at wally world with a snap top lid for like 9 bucks.  On the battery itself, is an actual marine battery needed, or just works better/last longer? Trying to find a good deal on a battery as im gonna get this thing in the water and hopefully running next weekend!!