Help, should i do it

socal714guy

Hi Im new to the boat world, Love them, and Ive always wanted one. Im looking to buy a 22ft 1980 sliverado jet boat from a guy in texas for very cheap, it has a 460 and needs stingers/floor replaced and needs interior..Am I getting head of my self for my first boat our should i just get it and invest time and money. And how much money im i Looking at if i do...

Here is a link to the boat on ebay, can some one please give advice on it....

EBAY ITEM 280364923408  AND THATS NOT THE PRICE IM PAYING, ITS A LOT LESS

thanks jason

spd500

Welcome to THB .

That is really not a good enough deal to travel very far to get . Even at a lower price . I don't see any interior for the boat , and none is mentioned . The glass work will depend on who you have do it , but will likely run at least a few grand . There are lots of guys from here going out to Cali to get boats because there are so many nice boats out there , I would look around some more before making the trip to drag home a project . You might want to take a look over on Performanceboats.com in thier forums they have a classified section where people list thier boats for sale and most are in California somewhere . If you just have to make the drive to Texas you can always come get my boat and not have to work on it when you get home , or several others around that are for sale .

greaser

I agree, $2500 and the reserve isnt even met? Way to much IMO. I'll give him 1k for it.  :smile15:

socal714guy

No i live in texas! the boat is shearman and im about an hour away! Im paying 1200, for the boat. and i know what you mean about Cali and the boats thats where im from and ve been looking in there, but i dont want to haul a boat from cali to texas. Is interior a pain the butt or can it be handled for 1k-2k?

Devilman

Interior work, hard to say. Is there anything left or would you be starting completely from scratch? I'd guess you're pretty close at $1k-$2k if that was the case. More you can do yourself of course, the more money you'll save.

I dunno, seems like for what you'd spend on getting that one ready for the water, you could find one thats already a runner...

KONA77

if you are new to owning a boat it is best to purchase one that is ready for the water and learn as you go !  :smile12:

greaser

socal714guy said:
No i live in texas! the boat is shearman and im about an hour away! Im paying 1200, for the boat. and i know what you mean about Cali and the boats thats where im from and ve been looking in there, but i dont want to haul a boat from cali to texas. Is interior a pain the butt or can it be handled for 1k-2k?

Let me know if you deciede to pass on it, I may make him an offer.

pro53

Link  :grin:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280364923408&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Fsofindtype%3D22%26sofocus%3Dpf%26fisc%3Dc6001%26pfid%3D2473%26alist%3Da39%252Ca41%252Ca38v1y%252Ca38v2y%252Ca10239%252Ca3801%252Ca85%252Ca10246%252Ca33512%252Ca10241%252Ca10244%252Ca39705%252Ca18%26gcs%3D13%26a39%3D-24%26a38v1y%3D%26a38v2y%3D%26a10239%3D-24%26satitle%3D280364923408%26sadis%3D500%26fpos%3D%26fsct%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26frpp%3D50%26sacat%3D0%26dfsp%3D1%26from%3DR7%26nojspr%3Dy%26fvi%3D1

Sounds like it needs alot of work, but for a running daycruiser not bad. There was a nice daycruiser on craigs list for ever for 4000.00. You will end up spending 3000.00 or more between stringers, and interior work. And what ever else you change out  :grin: Nice project boat.

socal714guy

randall ive been talking to that guy about that boat, he wants 2800 for it and it has no interior! Im going to go look at the boat today and I will let you guys know! I might be waiting and save up a little more and get a turnkey

duanehydro

#1 rule: don't get in a hurry and buy the first thing that raises your eyebrow. Spend some time and get you a nice ride.

Nobody ever said you have to put one together to enjoy it. BTW, welcome to THB.

sturat

Welcome to THB

Like people are saying wait and look around you will find one in your price range that is worth the money.
What excatly are you looking for? Something that will be super fast? Something that has a little room and makes noise and throws a big roost? What price range are you in? I know of one in Houston that would make a good lake boat? Fresh motor fresh pump neither have been run diverter all the boat needs to be way cool is paint. The paint is ok just not the best color could use some carpet but not needed this year???

JAMES

ok tyin to help here i looked at that boat a year ago or so it has a crack in the bottom all the way along the passenger stringer[and has tried to be repaired the wrong way]. drove a long way to look at it and was very upset when i got there and came home without it and he wanted 1500.00 for it then.  just passin on what i saw, hope it helps.

CHARLIE F

I think this same boat was offered on craigslist in the Carrollton Tx.area for a real low price. I cant tell from the pictuer but it had a shark image or something like that.
I think that I remember around $750-$1,000 is what was ask at that time.

This may be a different boat but it seems to fit the description.

socal714guy

ok nevermind that boat! it has a lein on the title...its a 1980 boat with a lein....Weird! thanks guys, well im back to looking again.

Devilman

I may have missed it, but where in Texas are you located? How far you willing to travel, I have a little free time now & then so I can post some links for you, but no sense in wasting your time if they are too far away, etc... Price range? You just  looking for a good lake cruiser, a hotrod river racer, etc. All questions that can help us help you. :smile15:

Welcome to THB by the way, glad to have ya...  :smile22:

Devilman

Yeah, I seen Mike just listed it, I wondered what had happened to that boat. I know of one for sale here in Victoria as well. :wink: