Fulton Fold Away Neck

77Jet Star

Just thought I would post this up and see if anyone has one one their trailer.I have my boat in storage and have to drive to it every time I need to do something to it.As it would not fit in the garage the trailer neck was about 24" too long.I found this Fulton Fold-Away on line you just cut the neck and bolt it on.This one is for a 3x4 inch neck but they have other sizes also weld a on model.Will post up some pictures when I get it installed.This should save me about $180.00 a month in storage.Problem solved. jump.gif

KONA77

sounds cool,  let us know how it works for ya,  i new a couple of people that had something like that on the fishing boats,  never heard anything negative

77Jet Star

Will do was kinda worried about it being too light duty  but it wieghs about 10 pounds (heavy cast) also rated @ 7500 pounds at 24 inches    :smile16:

vdrivegrimes

do you have surge brakes? i want to do the same on my competitive trailer but i have brakes. thinking about just doin away with them. ive pulled many of heavy trailers with no brakes, and never had any issues.

spd500

The only boat I ever had with brakes was a great big cabin cruiser , jet boats don't need them .

77Jet Star

vdrivegrimes said:
do you have surge brakes? i want to do the same on my competitive trailer but i have brakes. thinking about just doin away with them. ive pulled many of heavy trailers with no brakes, and never had any issues.
They have provisions for brakes

77Jet Star

Well here it is finished.It is a little scary when you cut the neck off your trailer but the end result is well worth it.I would rate this deal a 10 out of ten.I would certanly recomemd it .Great to have my boat at home and not in storage or sitting sideways in the garage.And Mj is Happy her car fits in as well.Need to rig one more saftey chain and I am done jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif

spd500

That looks really good . I guess it will depend on the trailer setup how much length it saves you , but sometimes every little bit helps .

77Jet Star

spd500 said:
That looks really good . I guess it will depend on the trailer setup how much length it saves you , but sometimes every little bit helps .
Yip I took all I could as you can see to get anymore room I would have to more the boat forward on the trailer I have about 2 inches to spare.

Crusader

Are you able to use your tongue jack while the tongue is stowed?? Seems to me that you should still be able to use it.

spd500

Not sure , but his setup looks like there would be no reason to use the jack while the neck is folded . An ideal setup would be with the jack behind the fold away on the opposite side , that way you could drop the trailer and fold the neck and be done . But he adapted what he had to make it work . I wonder if trying to jack it with the neck folded would put too much pressure on the pivoting side .

KONA77

looks good jetstar,  good job  clap.gif  the other option you coulda gone with was more garage  :smile16:

77Jet Star

Crusader said:
Are you able to use your tongue jack while the tongue is stowed?? Seems to me that you should still be able to use it.
What I did was just put the boat were I wnnted it Jacked it up with the tongue jack put a jack stand under it  lower it and fold the wheel and jack away.That way you dont have to chock the trailer.To answer your question I think the trailer would try and move around if you tried to fold it with weight on it as I need it right against the back wall.I only have about 2 inches to play with .I think it would be plenty sturdy though.  :smile17:

77Jet Star

spd500 said:
Not sure , but his setup looks like there would be no reason to use the jack while the neck is folded . An ideal setup would be with the jack behind the fold away on the opposite side , that way you could drop the trailer and fold the neck and be done . But he adapted what he had to make it work . I wonder if trying to jack it with the neck folded would put too much pressure on the pivoting side .
Good Idea and I thought of putting the jack back behind the fold.It was on the side and tended to flex the trailer rail when you tried to move the boat around with the jack down.And if I put it in the middle it would hit the bow when you crank it.Might be able to use a smaller jack and it work or beef up the side rail though