Did Me a Little Black Friday Shopping

customtouch

Well Patch............ my wife was not exactly thrilled about me bringing home another project either (LOL) and with everything I have going on it is kind of  crazy.gif. but I couldn't resist this one. It will set the v-drive build back a tad but this one will definatly be on the water this spring. I think it is going to be a pretty fun little family boat and a good one for teaching the grand kids how to ski. I am sure I will do a quickie paint job on it but it will be very basic (probably factory scheme) and not real detailed on the repairs. I want this one to be fun and not have to worry about it getting getting scratched or messed up. What I am trying to resist however, is urge to hot rod it up a little. I could leave the 305 in it but that doesn't make sense when I have a nice 350 sitting here and now I am fighting the temptation to beef that up before I put it in. I wish I hadn't seen that darn video!!!!  :smile15:

customtouch

I am waiting to see what the bill is from having the drive gone through.  :smile13: That will be the big deciding factor and probably  put the brakes on any performance mods. My boating funds are stretched pretty thin right now so realistically, I better get it right first and go faster later.  :smile29: Besides.......that is what the v-drive is for anyway.................................SOMEDAY!!! :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It will be great to see you on the water man! Plus that rig is perfect for what we do! Which is hang out on the beach and drink a cold beer. :smile30:

customtouch

Patchman said:
It will be great to see you on the water man! Plus that rig is perfect for what we do! Which is hang out on the beach and drink a cold beer. :smile30:

Ya, not sure why I am wasting my money getting it running!! :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
Patchman said:

Ya, not sure why I am wasting my money getting it running!! :grin:
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif :smile16:

customtouch

Thanks Mike. Yea, I got rid of all the boating stuff and parts I had for an outdrive boat a year or so ago (thought I was done with it) and now I am trying to rummage up what I will need for this one. It has a perfect aluminum 21 pitch on it right now that will work but I will eventually get a stainless. I am also looking for a Holley or Edelbrock marine carb (600/650 cfm) if you know anyone that has a decent one.

customtouch

Well, I got the boat back last weekend from having the drive rebuilt, so now I have been going through it fixing all the things the previous owner worked on. After throwing away the quadrajunk carb and put on a 570 cfm Holley, changing plugs, oil, fuel filter, repairing distributor, and doing a general service/tune up on it, the little 305 sounds pretty good. I will probably just leave it in there for now. I have a ton of time into straightening out the rats nest of wiring and putting on the right connections. I have ordered a bunch of parts for it including the correct exhaust elbows (the guy used 3 1/2" plumbing elbows that leaked like crazy). I have the complete interior pulled out and sent off to be upholstered in a white, silver carbon fiber, and charcoal carbon fiber material. After draining the gas from the tank and looking at it, I pulled the floor panel to gain access to the fuel tank. It has a lot of varnish in it from sitting around with bad gas, so now I am trying to clean and flush it through the sender unit hole. (Yee friggin ha!!!) I have a few ideas on how I am going to do it but I am very open to suggestion if someone else has had to deal with this before.

Knotty Girl

customtouch said:
Well, I got the boat back last weekend from having the drive rebuilt, so now I have been going through it fixing all the things the previous owner worked on. After throwing away the quadrajunk carb and put on a 570 cfm Holley, changing plugs, oil, fuel filter, repairing distributor, and doing a general service/tune up on it, the little 305 sounds pretty good. I will probably just leave it in there for now. I have a ton of time into straightening out the rats nest of wiring and putting on the right connections. I have ordered a bunch of parts for it including the correct exhaust elbows (the guy used 3 1/2" plumbing elbows that leaked like crazy). I have the complete interior pulled out and sent off to be upholstered in a white, silver carbon fiber, and charcoal carbon fiber material. After draining the gas from the tank and looking at it, I pulled the floor panel to gain access to the fuel tank. It has a lot of varnish in it from sitting around with bad gas, so now I am trying to clean and flush it through the sender unit hole. (Yee friggin ha!!!) I have a few ideas on how I am going to do it but I very open to suggestion if someone else has had to deal with this before.

Pics we need pics

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You could probably pore some E85 in the tank. They say that stuff will cut the varnish out of the fuel system. And it is cheap to buy. Just don't let it stay in there too long, rubber lines and it don't get along. think.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Put some E-85 in the tank , hook up an electric fuel pump to the tanks with a couple of cheap in line filters and then put the pressure side line in the gas cap hole or the sending unit hole since you have that open . .. Turn pump on and let it circulate for a while .. Check filters / change and then  repeat until it is clean . Then  put good fuel in it ..  ..
Seen EO do this on a couple of boats in his shop .. 

customtouch

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Put some E-85 in the tank , hook up an electric fuel pump to the tanks with a couple of cheap in line filters and then put the pressure side line in the gas cap hole or the sending unit hole since you have that open . .. Turn pump on and let it circulate for a while .. Check filters / change and then  repeat until it is clean . Then  put good fuel in it ..  ..
Seen EO do this on a couple of boats in his shop ..

I might try this also to get the last of it out if I can find some E-85 around here. It is a 30 gall plastic tank so it is pretty big and the real problem is that it has baffles in it, so sloshing it around is not real effective. I got most of it clean (at least the front section) by putting in 3 gall of gas mixed with 4 cans of Berrymans B-12 fuel treatment. After letting that sit over night I dropped in a chain hooked to some pretty stout fence wire through the sender hole. I could slide the chain around in the bottom of the tank with the wire and knock loose what was stuck to the bottom. I pumped that out, put in some fresh gas, sloshed that up and down for a while stopping with the nose of the tank down and everything rushing forward. After that settled a little bit, I would slowly raise the bow of the boat so the gas would go to the back but leave the sediment up front. Next I would stick a rag attached the wire and move it around in the bottom to pick up the crude left behind. Kinda like panning for gold. LOL! I did this most of the day and I think I got the biggest part of it but I like your idea to get the rest. I would have gone through a case of fuel filters if I had begun with that method though. LOL!

customtouch

I found a place that sells E-85 but I am wondering how it will affect an electric pump. I know a lot of pumps don't like alcohol and I am assuming it might be the same for E-85. I don't want to buy a high dollar pump just to circulate some cleaner through my tank.

customtouch

Crusader said:
You can buy an $18 Mr Gasket fuel pump at oreillys and that'll work just fine for you

I guess you get some kind of discount that I don't because when I checked the price on that pump it was $47.00.