Calling all V-Drives

jimsplace

galen said:
Got home this afternoon. Had a good time. Lost my electric pump on the engine cooling loop at the end of the day. Temp went to 270 and blew the coolant out. Calling Meziere tomorrow, you would think a 600 pump would last more than 3 days. Bad part engine is hurt so she is coming out and getting tore down for at least new rings and gaskets. Hoping to be done by September but depends on what I find wrong. Thinking serious on converting to lake water cooling using my belt drive sea water pump..

Galen
Change to the Magnaflow or Neovane type pump that takes it's water from the lake.  They have been used for over 50 years with little trouble and all the parts are available.
People have been trying different things all of those years and it's still the standard everyone still uses for a reason.  that's just not an area that needs to re-invented.

If you run in salt water or really nasty water, a different method might be beneficial.  I don't think you would want your boat in those waters.
  :smile17:

galen

jimsplace said:
galen said:
Got home this afternoon. Had a good time. Lost my electric pump on the engine cooling loop at the end of the day. Temp went to 270 and blew the coolant out. Calling Meziere tomorrow, you would think a 600 pump would last more than 3 days. Bad part engine is hurt so she is coming out and getting tore down for at least new rings and gaskets. Hoping to be done by September but depends on what I find wrong. Thinking serious on converting to lake water cooling using my belt drive sea water pump..

Galen
Change to the Magnaflow or Neovane type pump that takes it's water from the lake.  They have been used for over 50 years with little trouble and all the parts are available.
People have been trying different things all of those years and it's still the standard everyone still uses for a reason.  that's just not an area that needs to re-invented.

If you run in salt water or really nasty water, a different method might be beneficial.  I don't think you would want your boat in those waters.
Thanks Jim, I ordered a pair of water manifolds and am hoping to use my Mercury neovane pump that I belt drive for the lake water side. Basically same setup you guys are using just belt drive pump instead of cam drive. Going to get with JJ and figure out the line sizes. I agree with you on simplifying this cooling system. I will just flush it good at the end of the day. Getting rid of the closed loop system will dump about 75 lbs off the back. Going to pull the engine in the next couple days. Hopefully did not hurt the pistons. 

jimsplace

galen said:
jimsplace said:
galen said:

Galen

Thanks Jim, I ordered a pair of water manifolds and am hoping to use my Mercury neovane pump that I belt drive for the lake water side. Basically same setup you guys are using just belt drive pump instead of cam drive. Going to get with JJ and figure out the line sizes. I agree with you on simplifying this cooling system. I will just flush it good at the end of the day. Getting rid of the closed loop system will dump about 75 lbs off the back. Going to pull the engine in the next couple days. Hopefully did not hurt the pistons.

It's really easy to flush your engine with a V-Drive.
I've done it since I got the Cole.  I don't know how your water pick-up is going to be set up, but with the flat, I just use a rubber or plastic hose that slides on over the water-pick up tube and start the the engine after I place the other end in a bucket of water with a garden hose running into it.  The pump picks up the water and flows through the engine as usual.

Let it run until the engine gets warm and you're done.