Stoichiometric A/F ratio 9.0:1

Methanol
57,000 BTU/gal
Motor octane 91
Stoichiometric A/F ratio 6.4:1

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like they are very close. E-85 mite actually have some advantages. It's less corrosive for one! :grin:

73 Sanger Flat

Not sure on the blown engine deal , but mine was 13.6:1 and it loved the compression .. I am not sure what Jim's engine has for compression . I am thinking it may have flat tops in it .. Where are you Jim ??  How much compression are the Alky pistons ??
It is a little corrosive , but I did not have any trouble with mine ..

jimsplace

Patchman said:
jimsplace said:
Patchman said:
I see where on injected engines, they have good luck with it. Doesn't appear to be nearly as challenging as carbs! I know that doesn't answer your question though! :evil:

Why would e85 be less challenging with injectors than with carbs?
    :smile17:
Because of fuel system design, and the ease of setting an accurate fuel curve that is monitored by electronics! That's why manufacturers include fuel sensors that can detect E-85 and switch the tune for dual fuel cars! :smile30:

OK.  I was thinking in old school terms (fits me), mechanical injection and not electronic.

jimsplace

Patchman said:
It seems that going with mechanical injection and E-85 would be a little more reliable than an E-85 carb setup. I guess you could ad the cylinder lube to it as well. Testing the fuel sounds like a good idea! You never know how long it has been sitting in that tank! :smile30:

I would say that testing is a must for e85, unless you are buying from a race gas supplier that verifies it being e85.
Even though the testing is not perfect, it will let you know that you are getting e85 and not e70 or other low ethanol percentage.
Every time I have purchased e85, it has tested at least e84, but usually closer to e86 or e87.  I purchase it only during the warmer months.
In some areas, usually colder, they may sell winter blends which are closer to e70 to help starting.  I don't know if they switch here.

Knotty Girl

I have been doing a lot I mean a lot of research on this subject and would like to give you my input.  :smile30:  However I need to get back with you at a later date.  :smile16:

Bert88

So far with me I am running 12.5:1 on a 439 small block with 25 over on a 6-71 big bore blower with mechanical injection and have not had any problem running it other than it being big time lean from set up from enderle.. Very good cooling characteristics and hardly any corrosiveness . I am considering e85 on all my toys.

jimsplace

Knotty said:
I have been doing a lot I mean a lot of research on this subject and would like to give you my input.  :smile30:  However I need to get back with you at a later date.  :smile16:

Aw', c'mon, give us your thoughts.
Henry, you must be different, I didn't think anyone researched anything.
                    Some in particular learn by their mistakes, and I thank GOD for them.  I try to learn from their mistakes too.

Disturbed

Bert88 said:
So far with me I am running 12.5:1 on a 439 small block with 25 over on a 6-71 big bore blower with mechanical injection and have not had any problem running it other than it being big time lean from set up from enderle.. Very good cooling characteristics and hardly any corrosiveness . I am considering e85 on all my toys.

Lean on the bypass or the nozzles?

Bert88

Bypass .. I still need a lil more tuning in the high speed lean out but for the rest it's good now. I went from 75 pill that they set it up for down to a 50 now and think only two sizes smaller for the high speed lean out

Bert88

Hope I didn't lead anyone on I forgot to mention I run all this in a sand rail although it's tempting to run it in my Hondo that I am redoing! . And only picture I have is of engine sitting at the shop . A
e1978ec98dbe79b202db313504f37830.jpg

Gopher711

Bert88 said:
Hope I didn't lead anyone on I forgot to mention I run all this in a sand rail although it's tempting to run it in my Hondo that I am redoing! . And only picture I have is of engine sitting at the shop . A
e1978ec98dbe79b202db313504f37830.jpg
You running E85 thu Hat ?
I was thinking about this and how it would work ?

Bert88

Yes I'm running e85 on it and it works damn good . Hat and blower ice over and no detonation and fuel is cheap!