67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

ChryslerJet

KONA said:
ChryslerJet said:
Here is some movement in the right direction

Motor is on a stand awaiting teardown and I now have a work area to rebuild the motors.

ive got an engine on the engine stand,  but mine runs...  :grin:
unfortunately Chrysler engines can't be run on engine stands.  The 440 for the carlson would run too if I bolted everything up to it right now and put it on a motor cradle but I don't want a stock 7.8:1 truck motor unless someone wants to donate a couple of turbos.

whitetrash148

Great to see some progress on your project, makes me want to go work on mine. I'am not afraid of work, I can lay down beside it and take a nap!

ChryslerJet

Well starting to make some progress and putting money towards the projects.  Talked to JJ today and sending him some cashflow.  The old Casale had 25's in it so we are going to be putting some 18's in it.  The motor is in storage after the move so nothing new on that front yet.  Just getting the stone rolling again. 

Chevy2184

Man what a time capsule!! Even way back then they thought doges were fast?? 😜😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChryslerJet

FL350 said:
Someone could've been in that box more than once.
Stacey JJ has the box and the gears he is doing the swap for me.  I don't think they were lightened and JJ thinks that box hasn't been opened since the 70's when the boat was last used.  I have receipts from 1973 when the carbs were detuned for pleasure use cost $28 for both carbs back then.  That was record I have for the boat besides the bills of sale when it changed hands over the years.
Chevy2184 said:
Man what a time capsule!! Even way back then they thought doges were fast?? 😜😜

Back then MOPARS were the $hit.  Why do you think that all Top Fuel cars today use a Mopar head design??  The Hemi head design made the most power of any head design.  It wasn't fuel efficient but it can flow a ton of air and fuel.  It's too bad they lost the reputation and the drive for performance until now.  Even today it wasn't what it used to be.
Anyways this is just a little lake boat nothing fast.  I have been warned by JJ not to take this boat over 70 MPH cause it might not be safe above that speed. 

Chevy2184

Cj was just busting your chops some... That boat is cool! And I'm sure it kick plenty off ass in its day even in its "pleasure use" detuned mode! Those doges would pull stumps with all the torque they made!!

ChryslerJet

Chevy2184 said:
Cj was just busting your chops some... That boat is cool! And I'm sure it kick plenty off A$$ in its day even in its "pleasure use" detuned mode! Those doges would pull stumps with all the torque they made!!

I found a crossram intake for the motor but at a grand it's too rich for my blood.  I might splurge and go with a tunnel ram I found for 375 though if I can get the wife to loosen the purse strings. 
There have been a lot of big costs associated with this boat.  The motor is going to run me about $1200-1500 when its all said and done.  $500 for the casale rebuild.  $300-500 for the Calgo steering rebuild$400 for the mountsI still have to redo the seats and the wood rim on the steering wheel, figure out the battery and build the fuel tanks.  I have fuel tanks to use but they are too big and need repairs anyways going to cut them down and have them welded up.  Then there is recreating the decals that I can't find to buy anywhere.  I have done a lot of research and figured out most of what I need will get Tintman to reproduce them when I am ready.
lot's of work but even more cash flow

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
Just think of all the money your spending, and remember the term BOAT! :grin:
Oh I know, I am sure the wife will enjoy it once it's done, but convincing her of that while taking money from the house down payment savings account is the hard part.