67 Carlson V-Drive Race boat restoration

ChryslerJet

So Here is the details on this.  Picked it up from our dearly departed techmarine's (Derrick Stover) sweetheart.  Dirk had it before Derrick.  There is a paper trail that it was sold in 08 and in 2000.  Then paperwork prior to that through '72 of the original owner.  All paperwork that is older than I am and seems to have faired better than me.  I am going to scan all the paperwork and will post it up.  Things like rebuilding the carbs on the 426 max wedge and rejetting for general use only costing $28.06 if I recall correctly.  Don't think you will get that pricing today.  A full rebuild of the motor including two new pistons and a new crankshaft costing just over $500.  Today you couldn't get a Master kit for that cost.

So here are some details of it and some shots of it.  I think I have decided for now it is going to be clearcoated as is and left that way at least for this season.  But I would like everyone's opinions on whether to redo all the paint with the original bright red with heavy metal flake and either mask off or hand repaint all the original hand painted graphics. 

I have a 383 Big Block that I built for my barracuda running about 500HP that's going to power this old girl for now. 

The hull is in good shape as is the interior all original.  There are a few patch spots that I want to redo and the passenger seat was cut off and made to be a removable seat.  I want to fiberglass that back in place like it was originally unless anyone thinks I should keep it setup as a removable to preserve the racing history with it.  Again give me your thoughts.

The steering cables need to be replaced as the wheel won't turn.  The cavitation plate cable may need to be replaced or just the handle.  The gas pedal is missing and the cable with it.  The Casale drive looks in good shape as does the drive shaft and all the motor mounts.  I will have to have made or track down a PTO adapter for it.  I will need help with this guys and gals so give me your advice and opinions.  Especially from the V-Drive guys and gals.  I am going to need to make some front motor plates and a rear motor plate for it.

For Fathers Day I got a GPS unit so I can GPS my speed on both boats.

So as I see it here is the todo list with parts needed.
Clearcoat the entire boat top and bottom
Re-attach passenger seat either as removable or permanent
Re-upholster both seats
Find and install Gas pedal and cable
Repair/replace Cavitation plate cable and lever/pedal
Check out the Casale drive
Find a PTO Adapter
Replace Steering cables
Replace or rebuild Steering Wheel
Replace all drain plugs (all missing)
Rebuild the trailer bunks
Fabricate Front and rear Engine mount plates out of aluminum.
Inspect engine and install
Rewire entire boat.
Buy a 830-850 Holley double pumper
Buy a scoop

Go Play

The list is rather short and very doable just a lot I will be asking for help or guidance on.

Here are a few shots

ChryslerJet

Here are some interior shots
The seats need recovered the drivers seat had more material until the trip down from Lubbock

The missing hot foot

The drive shaft and loops

The Steering (oh forgot above need to replace the steering wheel or make new wood grips.)

ChryslerJet

Miscellaneous Interior shots
The Oh Sh!t handle

Battery Tray

Another pic of the Cavitation plate lever mechanism

The box of stringer to motor mounts

Tach and switches

ChryslerJet

Some of the stickers or what's left of them

if anyone knows what any of these may be and can help me get a picture of them or direct me in any way I would be greatly appreciated.  I want to see about having them recreated for the ones missing or find some original ones in decent shape.

ChryslerJet

Some Exterior shots

Badges from San Angelo Car/Boat/Bike Show that I am told it won an award in 2007 & 2008

Advertising I found on it on the net and when I got the boat this is part of the documentation that came with the boat along with a manual about Chrysler Marine engines and some other advertising on Carlson boats.

blazeracer

CJ, pop hardware off, shoot two coats of clear, wet sand, shoot, wet sand, shoot, wet sand, polish and call the paint job DONE! It will be totally bad ass with all the original decals still there. That's I would have done to it.

strokeit57

i traded the boat to derrick several years ago.it was in san angelo for a long time derrick(dirk digler) hauled the boat to the show for me  is where the badges came from it was in the show just once the older badge was for a boat he had in it before. we did some internet search supposed to have belonged to two guys that worked for nasa good luck with it i would like to see it in the water again. i was always curios about how it handled being a tunnel v drive

FL350

Administrator
ChryslerJet said:
Some of the stickers or what's left of them

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff447/74ChryslerConqueror/67CarlsonRaceboat/th_PRE_20

13-06-15-071324_zpsbf2aa2fb.jpg

if anyone knows what any of these may be and can help me get a picture of them or direct me in any way I would be greatly appreciated.  I want to see about having them recreated for the ones missing or find some original ones in decent shape.

The 4th and 6th ones down are the orange bowl regatta stickers. This boat has raced at Miami Marine Stadium in the late 60's and 70's. This boat is NOT a drag boat it's a circle boat. Very cool piece indeed had my eye on it for awhile but I'm not a hydro guy.

ChryslerJet

FL350 said:
The 4th and 6th ones down are the orange bowl regatta stickers. This boat has raced at Miami Marine Stadium in the late 60's and 70's. This boat is NOT a drag boat it's a circle boat. Very cool piece indeed had my eye on it for awhile but I'm not a hydro guy.
Thanks that helps to find them and good to know it was a circle boat and not a drag boat.  It's all part of the history and good to keep with it.

James I agree with you I like the patina and the wear I may replace the stickers that are completely missing and the coats of clear you mentioned was pretty much what i had planned.  I would like to see it in it original color though too I bet it looked awesome.

Drumzilla

Alright CJ.. There's gonna be a lot of people thinking this project will never get done... prove them wrong.. if not you will be banned from THB for life....LOL  good luck and get-r-done.....

ChryslerJet

DrumZilla said:
Alright CJ.. There's gonna be a lot of people thinking this project will never get done... prove them wrong.. if not you will be banned from THB for life....LOL  good luck and get-r-done.....

Drum Agreed this one I think will be easier to get done.  Kinda worried about the steering now though.  looks like it might cost more than the boat to repair or I change it out for a newer style and keep the original to reinstall later.

Drumzilla

I don't know enough to advise you.. might be cheaper to just replace it with something else..something safe.. :smile26:

FL350

Administrator
There is nothing to that steering. It's probably froze in the rudder stuffing box. When I get back into the country Friday I'll pm you my number if you want. Those v- drives are easy.

Disturbed

FL350 said:
There is nothing to that steering. It's probably froze in the rudder stuffing box. When I get back into the country Friday I'll pm you my number if you want. Those v- drives are easy.

Exactly.  :smile30:

Don't take the cables loose until you put a set screw in place of the grease zert.  I'll look around and see if I can find the info you need.