River Boat build help/project thread

blazeracer

shimp said:
If you want new radios, and want it CHEAP, let me know, I have accounts with 3 wholesalers and can get new head units that will work good for a year in a boat for $30-$60.  Can also get expensive stuff too, but would not advise putting an expensive radio anywhere near moisture (like in a boat).

Hey Shimp, my head unit is a Pioneer DEN-44HD. It will actually power on, all the functions work, just no sound out of the speakers. Even the little moving EQ things bounce up and down to the beat that's not coming out of the speakers. I haven't even tried the RCA's to see if anything comes out that way, thinking that maybe it's the internal amp that's shot.

I got this particular model because it got the colored display that I can set to blue and match the rest of the lighting in the boat AND it has a USB deal that will play music off of a thumb drive. Let me know much can you score one of these for? It was $115 at Walmart.

shimp

Is that a current model?  The wholesaler's would likely only have current model stuff.  I can check and see.

shimp

blazeracer said:
Pioneer DEH-44HD.  It was $115 at Walmart.

That should be DEH.  $58 free ship on eBay for a working used unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-DEH-44HD-Car-Stereo-FREE-SHIPPING-/310573428269?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item484f9e6e2d

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Man that is a sweet river cruiser! You'll enjoy the hell out of it when done. Just remember, Keep it simple! :smile30:

blazeracer

shimp said:
blazeracer said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-DEH-44HD-Car-Stereo-FREE-SHIPPING-/310573428269?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item484f9e6e2d

I should hook up an amp just to test the RCA's. It may work fine that way. I'm sure the rain didn't help at all, but I really think starting the boat while the stereo was on sent a power spike through it and blew whatever makes the sound come out of the speaker. Like I said, everything works, but no sound.

Yeah, it's DEH. I didn't have my glasses on. LOL

Actually, I'd like to get a head unit with a video player that will play MP4 and WMA files. Then I can watch my hot boat vids on the boat!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
blazeracer said:
shimp said:
blazeracer said:

I should hook up an amp just to test the RCA's. It may work fine that way. I'm sure the rain didn't help at all, but I really think starting the boat while the stereo was on sent a power spike through it and blew whatever makes the sound come out of the speaker. Like I said, everything works, but no sound.

Yeah, it's DEH. I didn't have my glasses on. LOL

Actually, I'd like to get a head unit with a video player that will play MP4 and WMA files. Then I can watch my hot boat vids on the boat!
Baller! :smile13:

blazeracer

Something like this disposable POS...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-2-DIN-Head-Unit-Touch-Screen-Car-DVD-Player-TV-AFG1Q-/220861498022

Have to get a double din cover for it, if that even exists.

shimp

Yes, you can test the RCA's with any amp, or just a AC voltmeter, put one lead inside jack, one on outside of jack, put on some radio station or something and turn the volume up. AC Voltage should go up ALOT as you turn the volume up.  The reason I don't repair head units in my business is because it's not cost effective, they are cheap, throw away units, unless you can repair your own.

Back to the boat build up, I've been very busy working, haven't been outside much during the day :(  Sometimes I hate working inside (when the weather is nice outside).  Anyway I really want to get back on the boat, got to get some work done first, get it out of the shop, get the money and then work on the boat, my luck I will be busy working inside while it's really nice weather outside, and then while it's raining and nasty outside will be working on the boat....  Will update as soon as I get this mountain of work out from in front of me.

Devilman

shimp said:
Yes, you can test the RCA's with any amp, or just a AC voltmeter, put one lead inside jack, one on outside of jack, put on some radio station or something and turn the volume up. AC Voltage should go up ALOT as you turn the volume up.  The reason I don't repair head units in my business is because it's not cost effective, they are cheap, throw away units, unless you can repair your own.

Back to the boat build up, I've been very busy working, haven't been outside much during the day :(  Sometimes I hate working inside (when the weather is nice outside).  Anyway I really want to get back on the boat, got to get some work done first, get it out of the shop, get the money and then work on the boat, my luck I will be busy working inside while it's really nice weather outside, and then while it's raining and nasty outside will be working on the boat....  Will update as soon as I get this mountain of work out from in front of me.

Know what ya mean there.

Cool thread, a little river basher/fishin rig will be a fun project.

blazeracer

Amazing, I just went out to the boat to test my RCA jacks like you said. Put the face on the stereo and it came on... work just fine. Go figure. OK, no more jacking your thread..

Becket

One little comport that I found to be worth a little extra weight was a floor, (plywood) keep it as thin as possible (light) and notch it to fit tight, I suggest NOT screwing it down if you don't have to, if you do, just a couple along the edge will suffice, makes it ALLOT nicer to be able to walk bare foot without slipping and crushing your Toes on a Rib or twisting an ankle.

(The Ribs will crack at the center most screw holes due to flexing)

YB 468

Nothing like a big piece of bait going under the floor and stink like hell!! Been there done that. Listen to Becket he knows too.

Becket

YB 468 said:
Nothing like a big piece of bait going under the floor and stink like hell!! Been there done that. Listen to Becket he knows too.
YaYaYa, But he said he "Aint" no fisherman so I would think that not a problem Dookie! Unless he looses one of them neuterd lights under there!  :smile20: