River Boat build help/project thread

shimp

Starting this for a little (yes 14'6" x 45" bottom) semi-flat boat (vee in front, flat in back, looks like a really old Lund boat) that I am fixing up for using down at the River.  I know it's not a "Hot Boat", but figured this would be a good place to get some input/help and put pictures of it etc.

The story behind it is a friend got it for $100 cash.  It floats, and engine runs.  It's a console drive with 25HP 1985 Evinrude E25ECOC outboard 2-smoke motor.  The motor is in fantastic condition.  The boat hull is not.

The things I need to do to it are as follows in this order:

1.  Replace trailer.  It has some GHETTO-NECK built trailer under it, will post pics, good for some LULZ for sure!  I have a regular "jon boat" type trailer that had a 16' Baja Ski boat on it when I got it, put a proper trailer under the Baja years ago, so I have this trailer leftover, will work perfect for this boat.  Needs some new wheels tire and some hardware and paint.

2.  Repair the Hull.  It's got a few spots that are questionable, and one small leak, I can see the water coming in, but could not see the actual hole once I got it back out of the water.

3.  Paint Hull.  It's ugly, been painted all different colors since the 60's or whenever it was originally built.  Got a little bit of old paint left to strip off then will spray it Army Green, trailer as well, same color.

4.  Deck it.  Rebuilding the interior of it, in the "Bass-Jon" type fashion, but more with "boating" in mind rather than fishing, I am not a good fisherman.

5.  Get it setup and running / driving right.

I am sure when it's done it will be a neat little boat to cruise the River in at a very low fuel consumption rate.  Might get me into the water more this year than last year, I just couldn't afford much gas in the Jet last year because of this economy.  I expect it to be worse this year.

Will get to posting up a few pics in just a moment.

shimp

This is how it was when I pulled it out of the dirt/weeds.

Attachments

• firstpics-2.jpg
    firstpics-2.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 118

Becket

Best advice I can give you is to Keep it light and keep it SIMPLE! No LED's and Jam system Needed!  :smile30: Need Radio?, take Boom Box.

For NAV lights I would use the cheep clamp on style that run on their own Battery's, that takes a bunch of wiring out of the equation and less to maintain/repair.

Since it is Elect. Start and you have a Battery already there, get an Auto Bilge pump, that should be about the only wiring other than the necessary Engine stuff that you need in the Boat. IMHO.

Keep your eyes open for a Bimini top also, man does that help on Hot days while Booze cruising the River.

shimp

Gas-Hole said:
Best advice I can give you is to Keep it light and keep it SIMPLE! No LED's and Jam system Needed!  :smile30: Need Radio?, take Boom Box.

For NAV lights I would use the cheep clamp on style that run on their own Battery's, that takes a bunch of wiring out of the equation and less to maintain/repair.

Since it is Elect. Start and you have a Battery already there, get an Auto Bilge pump, that should be about the only wiring other than the necessary Engine stuff that you need in the Boat. IMHO.

Keep your eyes open for a Bimini top also, man does that help on Hot days while Booze cruising the River.

Why not all the fancy LED lights, Radio and Nav lights all that? 

I plan on bilge pump in back and in the middle.

Not sure on the structure parts yet, deciding whether to use wood (cheap, readily available around here) or aluminum angle, etc.  Will use lightweight stuff, may resin coat most of it.

Yeah, I do want a top for it for sure!

jimsplace

Cool

That looks like an easily doable project that shouldn't be too expensive.
The boat should make a good river boat for fishing, going up and down the river or just putting around.
It could be a fun low maintenance boat.

Take life jackets for everyone, an anchor and paddle.
    :smile17:

shimp

Here's the hull stripped down, and washed.  I had to remove the flotation tanks that were mounted under the seats because they had drilled holes in them and put screws in them for some reason.  I can either fix those or stuff the empty cavitys of the boat with coke bottles for flotation.

Yeah, I seen those motors/controls combo for sale anywhere from $300-$1000 with or without a boat.  As Beckett told me on Facebook, I could always find another hull for the motor if this one don't work out.

I put it in the pond after I stripped it to see how easy it is to tip it over, it's not that easy, those railings along the side they added make a huge difference, made the sides of the hull real stiff and give you something to lean on or grab onto while picking up lines (trot lines I guess) from the water without the boat tipping or you falling out.  I plan on leaving the railings on there.

shimp

jimsplace said:
Take life jackets for everyone, an anchor and paddle.
    :smile17:

Most definitely in this tiny little boat.  It's like the SS Guppy or something.

shimp

BTW:  It's got a bunch of holes that have been patched in the bottom.  Funny thing is, none of that leaks at all, but a spot in the back floor near the transom has a pinhole or something in it that I cannot even see while the boat is out of the water, but is obviously leaking while it's in the water.

Becket

shimp said:
Gas-Hole said:

Why not all the fancy LED lights, Radio and Nav lights all that?  

I plan on bilge pump in back and in the middle.

Not sure on the structure parts yet, deciding whether to use wood (cheap, readily available around here) or aluminum angle, etc.  Will use lightweight stuff, may resin coat most of it.

Yeah, I do want a top for it for sure!
Because you will Replace them EVERY year.

oldbuck40

shimp said:
BTW:  It's got a bunch of holes that have been patched in the bottom.  Funny thing is, none of that leaks at all, but a spot in the back floor near the transom has a pinhole or something in it that I cannot even see while the boat is out of the water, but is obviously leaking while it's in the water.
Best way to find leaks is while its on the trailer! You will need to put jack stands or block the trailer up for support and fill the boat bout half way with water. then start looking underneath.. Take ya a marks-A-Lot and circle all the leaks,,empty the boat flip it over and fix em!

shimp

It's definitely going to have to have a few lights, not necessarily a bunch, hopefully if I keep it parked out of the sun/rain and covered up when not using it (like I do my jet) the stuff won't get messed up.  GOT to have a radio in this boat, going to put one in my Jet too before spring gets here, just basic radio and 2 speakers, nothing fancy, AM/FM + USB stick radio. 

Only problem I see is that the boat motor only has a 4 Amp Stator/Charging Coil, as far as I could find documentation on... So battery charging may need to be solar assisted or some other means of charging in addition to the motor.  I have a dual battery isolator that i think does work and is good for 100 or 200 amps, if I run 2 small batteries that should keep me from having a dead starting battery.  For as lightweight (low current usage) as my accessories should be I could probably just put a relay (or a pair of 40 amp relays) in parallel between the two batteries and have them only connect when the key is on to charge the accessory battery, that way there is no risk whatsoever to having a dead start battery.  Electrical troubleshooting would not be a problem for me, as that's what I do for a living.

Anyone know where I can get a stick of aluminum angle (for the floor supports) for reasonable price in the area?  That seems to be the way to go to save weight when decking, use lightweight support structures like aluminum but then use wood for decking.  Only way aluminium decking would be cost-effective for me would be to use street signs...  Anyone know how much output those solar panels on the tops of street signs in the country with blinking lights on the pole put out?  I see them all the time ;-)  :smile16:

blazeracer

That's cool for $100. Fix any leaks, replace the transom if needed (looks easy enough), strip, primer and paint it, add a front deck and running lights. Go fishing and drinking, or vice versa...

jimsplace

shimp said:
It's definitely going to have to have a few lights, not necessarily a bunch, hopefully if I keep it parked out of the sun/rain and covered up when not using it (like I do my jet) the stuff won't get messed up.  GOT to have a radio in this boat, going to put one in my Jet too before spring gets here, just basic radio and 2 speakers, nothing fancy, AM/FM + USB stick radio. 

Only problem I see is that the boat motor only has a 4 Amp Stator/Charging Coil, as far as I could find documentation on... So battery charging may need to be solar assisted or some other means of charging in addition to the motor.  I have a dual battery isolator that i think does work and is good for 100 or 200 amps, if I run 2 small batteries that should keep me from having a dead starting battery.  For as lightweight (low current usage) as my accessories should be I could probably just put a relay (or a pair of 40 amp relays) in parallel between the two batteries and have them only connect when the key is on to charge the accessory battery, that way there is no risk whatsoever to having a dead start battery.  Electrical troubleshooting would not be a problem for me, as that's what I do for a living.

Anyone know where I can get a stick of aluminum angle (for the floor supports) for reasonable price in the area?  That seems to be the way to go to save weight when decking, use lightweight support structures like aluminum but then use wood for decking.  Only way aluminium decking would be cost-effective for me would be to use street signs...  Anyone know how much output those solar panels on the tops of street signs in the country with blinking lights on the pole put out?  I see them all the time ;-)  :smile16:

I know it's an unthinkable task in todays society, but if you had to, I assume it has a rope starter?
  :smile18:

blazeracer

I think those solar maintainers are just that, maintainers. If you sit out there with the stereo running all day it will drain it. With that said, I had a basic Pioneer stereo with 2 speakers in my Glastron and I'd run tunes all day without the Optima battery going down. One day in a light rain the stereo got a little wet. It was playing, then I started the boat while it was on and it's never came back on since.

Becket

blazeracer said:
I think those solar maintainers are just that, maintainers. If you sit out there with the stereo running all day it will drain it. With that said, I had a basic Pioneer stereo with 2 speakers in my Glastron and I'd run tunes all day without the Optima battery going down. One day in a light rain the stereo got a little wet. It was playing, then I started the boat while it was on and it's never came back on since.
Bingo, VERY hard to keep dry in a River boat of this style, and the "water proof" radio boxes work great! IF you dont get them wet. Been there, done that, Bought the Friggin Shirt!

shimp

blazeracer said:

I run a business repairing amplifiers (and I can do radios, but prefer not to they are not as profitable to work on), can fix my own, even if they get wet!  Putting radio under console where rain would not get on/in it unless it was blowing in sideways, which CAN happen!

Yeah, I could actually build a line level input (RCA input) amplifier that would run on solar power only to power a set of very efficient speakers and put them in there and run it with a teeny tiny 12V SLA battery.  But would be more cost effective to just put a second battery in boat for radio, let it charge while motor is running (via a relay to starting battery with a small (12ga or so wire and a fuse). 

Solar panel would put out a couple watts max.  The bigger ones are like 50 watts.  That would power an average head unit driving 2 speakers at half volume without a battery as long as sun was bright-bright.  I was just curious if anyone knew about those solar panels on the street sign poles, as they are widely available ;-)

It's an Electric Start, but may have the option for rope start like manually take cover off and rope start it, I don't know.  Can't find an owners manual for download anywhere, guess I will have to buy one.  Motor is a E25ECOC 1985 Evinrude.

jdeaton

Shimp, Go to the scrap yard, metal recycler, and dig through their pile of stuff.  The sell it by the pound and I have found some nice pieces for a little of nothing. clap.gif

shimp

Gas-Hole said:
blazeracer said:
Bingo, VERY hard to keep dry in a River boat of this style, and the "water proof" radio boxes work great! IF you dont get them wet. Been there, done that, Bought the Friggin Shirt!

If you want new radios, and want it CHEAP, let me know, I have accounts with 3 wholesalers and can get new head units that will work good for a year in a boat for $30-$60.  Can also get expensive stuff too, but would not advise putting an expensive radio anywhere near moisture (like in a boat).

shimp

DiamondJim said:
Shimp, Go to the scrap yard, metal recycler, and dig through their pile of stuff.  The sell it by the pound and I have found some nice pieces for a little of nothing. clap.gif

Unfortunately none of those around here, just places that sell new stuff.  I do have a few friends that "haul junk", will see what they got, didn't think of that.  I also didn't think about the fact that I already have a bunch of steel box tubing and angle.  Of course it's not "light", is the problem.