my new project 1982 eddies custom

man i didnt even work on the engine today at all! when i got home my better half wanted to go ride our harleys, so i said uh okay, rode over to lousiana, that sucked well when we got into lousyana atleast hwy 12. it is really terrible.

duanehydro

being as it was the exhaust side, any problems with the head gasket? Good chance if it happened at speed, could be spit out...

jimbo

soldier of fortune said:
Duanehydro said:
being as it was the exhaust side, any problems with the head gasket? Good chance if it happened at speed, could be spit out...

thanks for the info i will check it, lost a valve seal too.

Damn Randall, it sounded real good up to that point. I am sure you checked already but was the pushrod bent,coil bind or just a bad stud?
One other thing and it is hard to tell by photo, but how much of the stud is the rocker capturing?

jimbo said:
soldier of fortune said:
Duanehydro said:

thanks for the info i will check it, lost a valve seal too.

Damn Randall, it sounded real good up to that point. I am sure you checked already but was the pushrod bent,coil bind or just a bad stud?
One other thing and it is hard to tell by photo, but how much of the stud is the rocker capturing?

looks like three or four theads broke off the stud, the new studs i have seem to be longer, i am gonna go ahead and replace all of them, and one valve seal if ya look in the pics you can see what used to be the spring around the seal pretty sure it came off #1 intake as the #1 exhaust was totally shut

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
If just the threads pulled off, how would it tear up a valve seal? Sounds like something else tried to occur! think.gif

not sure, i replaced the stud and adjusted the valve sounds ok. i ran it back to the boat ramp with it backfiring that is what i think did it, all that pressure out of number cylinder had to go somewhere, just stabbing in the dark here. i did a compression check and it seemed to be close to all the others the others were around 140 on the left bank and it was 135 on number 1, you guys are the experts i am just following along behind, i welcome any knowledge you guys might have

Crusader said:
I guess the question is, where is the rest of the stud that appears to be broken off?

the rest of the stud was still in the poly lock, which was laying under #3 intake valve where the oil runs down the head.

Patchman said:
If just the threads pulled off, how would it tear up a valve seal? Sounds like something else tried to occur! think.gif

the threads didnt pull off they broke off, not sure how old those studs are they came with my other motor, but i have a brand new set that are 1/8 in longer,, i am gonna go ahead and replace all 16