My New Money Pit, 1972 Sea Ray SRV200 with an Olds 455/Berkeley Jet Drive

Disturbed

6K might be a little much for that Tahiti.  He says he's not gonna budge on the price.  I think Drum has found a pretty decent buy.  BBF are good power plants for a lake boat.  Just don't expect to set any speed records....  No matter what you put in a jet boat, it's gonna be slow unless you pour a ton of money into one.  $.02

Chevy2184

On thing about the fords... Yeah I'm gonna say it?! They are pretty easy to stoke out and get some decent cubic inches out of a stock block...

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

Chevy2184

But I think they use chevy rods and Pistons to make that work? So it prob run good after that... 😎

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
I would be inclined to put some money on ol Drum's boat with that BBF in it! :smile30:

Yeah, but your a biased for guy!!!!  I know its easy to build a 540 out of that 460 which im sure will run quite well, im just not a ford guy!

Ill say both are very nice floats, but the lines on that Tahiti are screaming out to me, and i agree that black interior will def cook, but easy enough to cover that up.  lol

But as of right now, i dont have 6K, im have a couple of my vehicles listed up for sale, so cant really do anything till i sell them.

I think id rather spend alittle more for a "mostly" lake ready boat vs a compete project ill be working on for a long time before i can enjoy it.  But somewhere in the 5-6K range would have to be my limit. 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
5-6K will buy a jet boat no problem. Even if they are asking more, don't hesitate to make an offer. I have lost out on some deals because I thought they were out of my price range! :smile30:

Drumzilla

Actual there's not a lot of good deals on CL right now.. I'm pretty good at finding them.. I kinda stumbled on that yellow boat. I think you'll get more boat for your buck if you just look for a turn key boat that you like when your ready.. I've owned 16 boats in the last 34yrs.. 12 of them were jets. I always search out a good turn key deal and then jump on it because a good deal wont last long.. I drove to California, Arizona, Kentucky and Oklahoma for 4 of them..and every time I sold one I always made descent profit off of them.

Also unless you have deep pockets of extra cash (like Henry)  :grin: Then usually one of two things happens with a project boat....

1. You get it home and never get it finished and you've still wasted your time and some money (Speaking of CJ, what happened to him ?? lol) or
2. You get it finished and you've spent WAY more time and money on it then you planned on and if you decide to sell it you probably wont get but half of what you put into it.... but that's just my 2 cents... good luck either way...

Dry Dock

Friend in Abilene has gotten old and is talking about selling a Southwind tunnel........ has a 454 and will run high 70's... he has dyno sheet where we dyno'ed it and cannot recall what it made but I think around 500hp maybe little more.

His health is reason for considering selling.

Has cable steering and just needs little TLC and clean up. Not a major project but some work needed.

I am thinking 6 to 7 will buy it?  I can get you in touch with him if you like.  It will run like it is.

SyTy Speed Shop

Anyone noticed this 79 Taylor in the DFW area on CL?  It's a 460, guy said it went 90 on GPS last summer before it blew the head gasket.  Engine needs put back together and put back in the boat but the hull and stringers are solid and I'm digging the paint sceme.  He is asking 3K.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/5765693144.html

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That boat didn't go 99 on a GPS. Wait , that is CL, so yes it probably did go 99 mph! crazy.gif Looks nice though! :smile17:

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
That boat didn't go 99 on a GPS. Wait , that is CL, so yes it probably did go 99 mph! crazy.gif Looks nice though! :smile17:

I meant 90, not 99.  Said his wife is scared of it and that's one reason for the sale.

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Anyone noticed this 79 Taylor in the DFW area on CL?  It's a 460, guy said it went 99 on GPS last summer before it blew the head gasket.  Engine needs put back together and put back in the boat but the hull and stringers are solid and I'm digging the paint sceme.  He is asking 3K.

I'd be willing to bet that Taylor didn't go 99 unless it was pushed out of airplane, lol... Not with that engine anyway. Greg/Oldbuck40 here on the boards had Taylor SJ like that for awhile, with a blown BBC, maybe he can give you some insight on that hull.

Speed claims aside, it is a nice looking boat & could be a great lake cruiser. It's been for sale for awhile, so he may even be willing to deal a little.

SyTy Speed Shop

Devilman said:
SyTy Speed Shop said:
Anyone noticed this 79 Taylor in the DFW area on CL?  It's a 460, guy said it went 99 on GPS last summer before it blew the head gasket.  Engine needs put back together and put back in the boat but the hull and stringers are solid and I'm digging the paint sceme.  He is asking 3K.

I'd be willing to bet that Taylor didn't go 99 unless it was pushed out of airplane, lol... Not with that engine anyway. Greg/Oldbuck40 here on the boards had Taylor SJ like that for awhile, with a blown BBC, maybe he can give you some insight on that hull.

Speed claims aside, it is a nice looking boat & could be a great lake cruiser. It's been for sale for awhile, so he may even be willing to deal a little.

Yeah he sent me a pic of the engine before it blew the head gasket, and also a video of it running, in the vid it has wet manifolds and sounds pretty decent, but im doubting the 90 on GPS claim myself. 

Drumzilla

A Taylor SJ makes a good lake boat. Boat has some weight to it so it takes on waves pretty good.  Also says the boat comes with a bill of sale.. I wouldn't buy a boat without a title but that's just me..  Definitely fibbing about the speed. If you decide to get it I would look it over very close because he might say anything to get it sold.. but I do like the purple and white.. 

FL350

Administrator
Me either! Had a guy call me a couple of weeks ago wanted to know if I buy his boat. It was a good one one that we rigged. But paperwork wasn't in order.

SyTy Speed Shop

He said he has a title but the title doesnt match the boat, therefore he is also giving a bill of sale.  Said the trailer has never been registered/titled so i guess he has gotten lucky with that.

I also wanted to ask, what is a ballpark figure on what that 460 would be worth?  I have a nice gen 6 roller block 454 that i could put in it, as im a chevy guy but when it comes down to it, does the BBF make a better setup vs the BBC or just comes down to preference?  I know BBC is  cheaper than BBF, but its also easy to make big cubes with the BBF.

I also like the color scheme of it except where it says ford motorsports on the front, lol

Drumzilla

I think sometimes it's a personal preference thing but sometimes it's the money thing because most of your BBC guys are cheap.. and most of your BBF guys are not !!! hahaha,, just kidding.. or am I .. anyways were all in the same boat.. we love going to the water.. we love going as fast as we can.. and we hope we have no mechanical issues...

A good day at the lake for me is when my boat comes off the trailer and then goes back on the trailer with no mechanical issues and without using an oar or a tow rope...

Devilman

SyTy Speed Shop said:
He said he has a title but the title doesnt match the boat, therefore he is also giving a bill of sale.  Said the trailer has never been registered/titled so i guess he has gotten lucky with that.

I also wanted to ask, what is a ballpark figure on what that 460 would be worth?  I have a nice gen 6 roller block 454 that i could put in it, as im a chevy guy but when it comes down to it, does the BBF make a better setup vs the BBC or just comes down to preference?  I know BBC is  cheaper than BBF, but its also easy to make big cubes with the BBF.

I also like the color scheme of it except where it says ford motorsports on the front, lol

Offering a title that doesn't match the boat may as well be saying no title at all. Some people get nervous, others forge ahead. Honestly it sounds sketchy as all get out, seeing as how he has no paper on the boat or the trailer. That said, if you REALLY wanted the boat, there are ways to get a title. :wink: Far as the value of BBF over BBC, in my opinion its a toss up. You'll spend money for the accessory type stuff to change it over: motor mounts, driveline(maybe), exhaust, etc.... You could put the Ford together, stick it back in the boat & never look back. Or if you are that determined to put a Obama, I mean Chevy in it, then it would be perfectly acceptable to do that as well, if you are into that sort of thing. :laugh: