Bedlining the boat's interior

customtouch

brazosjettin said:
The tintable spray that i use can be made any color useing automotive base tint that you use  to tint automotive paints so it can be tinted any color that you can paint a car. and the roll on bed liner out of the can is not worth the money you pay for it. James give me a call and i can help you out with this if you need. attached are a couple pics of my HACK JOB looks blue in the pics it is purple that matches all my purple powdercoat .

Is the brand that you used called Super-Liner or something like that?

brazosjettin

Its called raptor made by u-pol its also has uv protectant to protect against fadeing here are a couple of pics from my 1st hack job when i was just a jr hacker. the stuff i used in these pics is defferent than what i use now they have come a long way with the bedliner materials used since then.

Attachments

• IMG-20120811-00014.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00014.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 196

blazeracer

brazosjettin said:
The tintable spray that i use can be made any color useing automotive base tint that you use  to tint automotive paints so it can be tinted any color that you can paint a car. and the roll on bed liner out of the can is not worth the money you pay for it. James give me a call and i can help you out with this if you need. attached are a couple pics of my HACK JOB looks blue in the pics it is purple that matches all my purple powdercoat .

Damn Mike, I thought Anger Management was amazing. This one is even better!

PS, Met the guy that has the old girl last Saturday night. She's gonna fly.....

spd500

Why not just flow coat it ? It is a little more work , but will be worth it in the end . Probably costs pretty close to the same amount if you do it yourself . Bedliner is for trucks .

Knotty Girl

Flow coating a boat is very easy and only cost $30. I bought my stuff out of Canada and the foor looks wet it is so shinny.

blazeracer

SPD said:
Why not just flow coat it ? It is a little more work , but will be worth it in the end . Probably costs pretty close to the same amount if you do it yourself . Bedliner is for trucks .

Jasson suggested this like four months ago and I looked into it. Found out a couple of things about Flow Coat. One, it's a name brand and made in England, hence very difficult to get here. Two, it's nothing more than gelcoat with additive to make it harden on top similar to how they do with adding parafin wax to fiberglass resin. Three, the place I found that does have the Flow Coat brand in north America was in Canada, possible the same place Henry got it from. Four, you have to get a specialty gun to shoot it, but if you do a few boats it's all good. Finally five, it's an epoxy resin floor coating designed for concrete floors. Much like bedliner, it's not intended for boat use, but the properties can make it work. Some of the bedliners  companies actually have a formula designed for marine use.

http://www.flowcrete.co.uk/our-flooring-products/industrial-flooring/flowcoat-sf41.aspx

blazeracer

I guess I should add that this is just a discussion thread. The Enforcer, AKA Junk Yard Dog will be getting the leftover carpet from the Glastron. This is just winter chat. Good stuff, all of it.

Crusader

Glad you made the decision......probably the least expensive route to go since you already have carpeting.

I used Bilge paint from West marine to coat the engine compartment.

blazeracer

Well, Matt deleted his post on Prestec. It's good stuff too, very similar to Duratec.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec1.html

A couple of threads on it...

http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-boats/81141-flo-coating-jet-boat-floor.html

http://www.performanceboats.com/paint-fiberglass-repair/76000-prestec-duratec-over-epoxy.html

Gas-Hole said:
Somebody may have said this already but I am gonna say it anyway, Bedliner in a Boat is NOT a good idea!
A friend of mine Bought a boat with Bedliner sprayed in it, the Boat developed a leak, now, Imagine walking up to your Boat and the Bed liner "floor" being above the sides of the Boat! the water leaking in between the liner and the actual floor, swole up and looked like a Balloon! Next, imagine removing said liner to locate the leak........NOT fun!

There was a welding shop that used to do custom work on Boats, I know the Guy personally, he sprayed SEVERAL Boats for Bass pro shop in Katy, EVERY last one of them came back for..........wait for it............A swollen floor! he will no longer spray bed liner in a Boat.

Bed liner is just that, "Bed Liner", not Boat Liner.  :smile20:

Welding shop may be your 1st clue as to where you went wrong.
seems to me if it swelled up enough that the floor was above the sides of the boat it would be easy to remove since it is no longer adhered to the floor... also would indicate poor surface prep.... as long as your bed liner is epoxy based, it should work as good as any... after all isn't your boat made of epoxy? Flow coating is primarily used to enhance the parkay look of the Balsa Core... if you don't have the balsa parkay core to show off, flow coating is a waste of time.

... let me say there are some mighty fine hack jobs here...
my $0.05

Becket

Captin Hazlewood said:
Gas-Hole said:
Somebody may have said this already but I am gonna say it anyway, Bedliner in a Boat is NOT a good idea!
A friend of mine Bought a boat with Bedliner sprayed in it, the Boat developed a leak, now, Imagine walking up to your Boat and the Bed liner "floor" being above the sides of the Boat! the water leaking in between the liner and the actual floor, swole up and looked like a Balloon! Next, imagine removing said liner to locate the leak........NOT fun!

There was a welding shop that used to do custom work on Boats, I know the Guy personally, he sprayed SEVERAL Boats for Bass pro shop in Katy, EVERY last one of them came back for..........wait for it............A swollen floor! he will no longer spray bed liner in a Boat.

Bed liner is just that, "Bed Liner", not Boat Liner.  :smile20:

Welding shop may be your 1st clue as to where you went wrong.
seems to me if it swelled up enough that the floor was above the sides of the boat it would be easy to remove since it is no longer adhered to the floor... also would indicate poor surface prep.... as long as your bed liner is epoxy based, it should work as good as any... after all isn't your boat made of epoxy? Flow coating is primarily used to enhance the parkay look of the Balsa Core... if you don't have the balsa parkay core to show off, flow coating is a waste of time.

... let me say there are some mighty fine hack jobs here...
my $0.05
You have some good points there, let me clarify just a tad, "I" did not have a Boat done this way. The "welding shop was a Custom fab shop (welding shop for short). The Boat with the Balloon bottom was an Aluminum Boat, the others that were done at the shop......Could have been bad prep, I dunno, I didn't do them but I did see them "trying" to get the bed liner out of one of those boats and I can tell you that I would have burned it to the ground!