Bedlining the boat's interior

blazeracer

So across the street from my refrigerator shop is a custom hitch shop that also does spray in bedliners. I saw the guy that runs it outside yesterday and asked him how much is costs to get the inside of a boat shot with bedliner. He said that would be really hot and I told him I didn't want black, but a medium blue that's close to the same color as the boat. He said he won't guarantee colored bedliners because they fade very quickly, like within months. The only company that will guarantee a colored bedliner is the Line-X brand of bedliner and it's very pricey.

Has anyone here has success using a colored spray in bedliner for the interior? Was thinking it will be quite a bit lighter than carpet, look good, and be non slip for the Enforcer.

Or just go with the leftover carpet from the Glastron.

Crusader

Spray on bed liner seems like the route to go IMO. Have you thought of a yellow or white colored spray on bed liner?

blazeracer

Crusader said:
Spray on bed liner seems like the route to go IMO. Have you thought of a yellow or white colored spray on bed liner?

Seeing how my boat is grey and blue, no...  crazy.gif

Crusader

Lol...dude...then do a light grey. Can't be that difficult. I'd roll that stuff in too....forget spraying.

txliberator

If you wanna add a bunch of weight and hide any de-lam, cracks, or any other fiberglass issues that could also turn into safety issues down the road, this def sounds like the way to go. They make $hit to do the job correctly if you want to avoid carpet and need to cover up the glass. I've heard of a more hillbilly, back woods, hack sh!t way to rig a boat but I can't recall what it was after reading this.

BEDLINER IN A BOAT=HACK JOB

My .02

customtouch

If you really want to do bedliner I have some friends here in Austin that own Infinity Conversions and they do some of the best bedliner work I have seen. I do not know the brand of material they use but their colors are UV stable and they can match or make just about any color because they can mix automotive color into their material. They are also the only ones that I know of (but I am sure there are others) that can do custom designs and fades with bedliner material. Here is a picture of a truck they did for my neighbor that is all done in bedliner.(sorry, cell phone pic) I am amazed at what they can do with bedliner. If you are interested call JJ or Patrick at 512-252-7778. Here is their web site  www.infinityconversions.com. 

blazeracer

I guess Campbells Sunkisst was a hack job boat then. That Harley logo looks amazing.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

txliberator

Right and wrong way to do everything, including a boat interior. That's all I'm saying. Your boat, if you wanna half A$$ it that's your agenda.  :wink:

blazeracer

Reading on Iboats, some guys use the Rustoleum that comes in gallon cans and add walnut shells you would use in a blast cabinet. That's a new one I never head of. They say the color holds up great, it's non skid, and is very light.

Any other suggestions?

That's kind of what this is about... sharing ideas.

blazeracer

Seems to me no matter what you put on the floor it's gonna hide what's underneath, whether it be paint, carpet, bedliner, flo-coat, whatever you use. The only way not to hide it is leave it bare, and some guys like that too so they show the nice balsa on the floor of their tunnels. No way is the right be all end all, as well as no way is wrong either if applied properly.

blazeracer

Crusader said:
Lol...dude...then do a light grey. Can't be that difficult. I'd roll that stuff in too....forget spraying.

The PO did it in black bedliner, then painted it that ugly green the entire boat was when I got it. I painted it blue when I painted the boat, then proceeded to completely gut it to bare fiberglass so it's all gone now. Even the bulkhead and transom are new. Was thinking of putting some colored coating on the floor only, and leaving the stringers bare to show the wood thru the glass. Would be real easy to do and look sharp.

SimplyOrange

walnut shells? why? they make texture additive...and rustoleum has a tendancy to not dry all the way if it is old, you could really ruin a boat like that...

dura.............................................bak........................... i have used it, it the same thing alot of manufacturers put in thier half assed bay boats.

blazeracer

That's what I'm thinking. Duraback actually has a marine product made for half assed boats like ours. Weight is not an issue either....

A gallon of paint weighs 13lbs.
A gallon of resin weighs 11lbs
A gallon of Duraback weighs 10lbs.

So small a weight difference it's moot anyway.

Becket

Somebody may have said this already but I am gonna say it anyway, Bedliner in a Boat is NOT a good idea!
A friend of mine Bought a boat with Bedliner sprayed in it, the Boat developed a leak, now, Imagine walking up to your Boat and the Bed liner "floor" being above the sides of the Boat! the water leaking in between the liner and the actual floor, swole up and looked like a Balloon! Next, imagine removing said liner to locate the leak........NOT fun!

There was a welding shop that used to do custom work on Boats, I know the Guy personally, he sprayed SEVERAL Boats for Bass pro shop in Katy, EVERY last one of them came back for..........wait for it............A swollen floor! he will no longer spray bed liner in a Boat.

Bed liner is just that, "Bed Liner", not Boat Liner.  :smile20:

blazeracer

Gas-Hole said:
Somebody may have said this already but I am gonna say it anyway, Bedliner in a Boat is NOT a good idea!
A friend of mine Bought a boat with Bedliner sprayed in it, the Boat developed a leak, now, Imagine walking up to your Boat and the Bed liner "floor" being above the sides of the Boat! the water leaking in between the liner and the actual floor, swole up and looked like a Balloon! Next, imagine removing said liner to locate the leak........NOT fun!

There was a welding shop that used to do custom work on Boats, I know the Guy personally, he sprayed SEVERAL Boats for Bass pro shop in Katy, EVERY last one of them came back for..........wait for it............A swollen floor! he will no longer spray bed liner in a Boat.

Sooo, what would you use then?  :smile21:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_44182_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=44182&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CK6qn4ORp7QCFayPPAodkBwAAw#.UNIMfuTAfKg

Becket

blazeracer said:
Gas-Hole said:

Sooo, what would you use then?  :smile21:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_44182_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=44182&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CK6qn4ORp7QCFayPPAodkBwAAw#.UNIMfuTAfKg
Take it to a Boat shop and have them spray in floor liner. are you familure with Flats Cat Boats?

brazosjettin

The tintable spray that i use can be made any color useing automotive base tint that you use  to tint automotive paints so it can be tinted any color that you can paint a car. and the roll on bed liner out of the can is not worth the money you pay for it. James give me a call and i can help you out with this if you need. attached are a couple pics of my HACK JOB looks blue in the pics it is purple that matches all my purple powdercoat .