What The Heck Was I Thinking?

customtouch

Crusader said:
Dave...before taking her out in the water and regardless how much water is going out of the pee hole when on the hose, PLEASE replace your water pump (impeller). I will guarantee you that it is dry rotted.....especially after not being used for 23 years. I replace the impeller on my whacker every other season.

Also, go ahead and change out the lower unit gear lube......
Yep, I fully intend to Cliff. I was simply doing a preliminary check to see if was going to be worth investing the time and money into it. Now that I know it is, I will do all the other maintenance that it will need before it hits the water. Including pulling the carbs to clean them, changing fluids, water pump, inspecting and lubricating all the cables, etc.  First I will need to redo the floors though so it will be a while before it is ready. I am not sure yet if the the stringers and the transom really need to be replaced but I am not real concerned about that because the deciding factor of the build revolved around the motor. If it hadn't been good then the boat would not have been worth doing.

Knotty Girl

Crusader said:
Dave...before taking her out in the water and regardless how much water is going out of the pee hole when on the hose, PLEASE replace your water pump (impeller). I will guarantee you that it is dry rotted.....especially after not being used for 23 years. I replace the impeller on my whacker every other season.

Also, go ahead and change out the lower unit gear lube......

correct correct correct

Devilman

customtouch said:
I was wondering how long it would take before it started!!!!  LOL!!!  whatever.gif

hahaha, hey you made it to the second page. pretty good for around here. :cheesy: :grin:

Disturbed

There's no doubt about that!!! 

The jury is STILL out on whether or not you can get it back together CJ.  think.gif

customtouch

I just got the boat back from having the new water pump installed and the lower unit serviced. Even after sitting in a field for 23yrs this thing fired right up and purrs like a kitten. It revs hard and fast just like it did when it was new. Man I love these old Evinrudes. Now I have to decide if I want to sell it or what I want to do with it because it is way down the list of projects that need to be done. I kind of hate to get rid of it since it does have some sentimental value with being the first boat I ever owned and all that, but chit sure seems like it is stacking up around here. What do you guys think?

customtouch

Make me an offer!!! This boat is small but it is a blast to drive. Like I mentioned in the very first post, it will need the floors, transom and stringers redone. Although it was not in my possession the intire time, I have owned this boat for about 35-36yrs give or take a little.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it just got out of range of my skill set! It is a cool little boat though!  :smile16:

customtouch

The bright side to all of that is , there is not much surface area to it, so it really wouldn't be "that" bad. It would take a minimal amount of materials and about 1/3 the time in labor of a full sized boat. That is why I am tempted to keep it but I am covered up with stuff now and running out of places to put things. LOL!!  This would be a damn good motor for someone though!!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
If you decide it must go, let me know. I mite be able to talk to a guy about it! :smile30:

customtouch

ChryslerJet said:
David if i had the cash flow I would make you an offer on it.

If the money was right I would sell it to you too, but there does come a time when you need to stop buying and start fixing. No offense intended...........just saying.  I know because that is what I am doing.