What The Heck Was I Thinking?

customtouch

Just made a trip back to New Mexico to see my Mom for Mothers day and while I was there a discussion came up about the first boat that I ever owned. I bought it in the late 70's as the second owner, which was a few years after I graduated from High School and kept it until 1990 when I bought my Stratos Tunnel Hull. I took the boat back to N.M. and left it for my parents or whom ever to use but I guess it just got put out in the field on their farm and never used. It has just been sitting there for 23years so I decided to bring it back and maybe restore it. I need another project like a drowning man needs a glass of water!!!!!! In it's day it was a pretty cool boat (at least I thought so back then) but now it reminds me of a jet ski with an outboard motor on it. LOL!! It is a 1970 14.6 ft. Piranha made by Mur-Tex of Amarillo and has a 1978 Evinrude 85hp motor on it. The outside of the boat is still in pretty good shape but the floors,stringers, and transom will have to be replaced. I think the motor will probably still run because it still turns over freely and sounds like it has good compression. When I get a chance I am going to see if I can get the motor to fire up and decide what I will do with it then. I had a lot of good times in that boat and although it would not be worth much to anyone else, it just seemed like such a waste to be sitting there rotting. Please try to refrain from making comparisons to the CJ!!! LOL!!!! :grin:  JK

Crusader

Wow...ya just can't put a price on nostalgia! I wish I could find some of the relics I treasured while in High school....like my old 1981 Corvette....Old Sea Winds 20'5 bow rider boat....etc.

I'm glad you still have this boat...hope to see it on the water sometime.

Devilman

Pretty cool that you got it back after all this time. Looks pretty damn good for sittin in a field for 23 years.

customtouch

I was surprised that the paint had held up as good as it did considering I painted it about 32-33 yrs. ago. I think it could be buffed out to look pretty good if it didn't have all the stress cracks and hail damage on it. The good thing is that there has not been a lot of rain there over the years so most of the damage was caused from a dry heat. While I was there my brother told me that he has located my old 70 Chevelle that I had in High School that was disassembled in the mid 80's for a restoration and has been sitting every since. I think my wife would kill me if I brought that home though!! She may never let me go back!!!!!LOL!!!

customtouch

Well..........since we are on a trip down memory lane, here is a really bad picture of a picture of the old Chevelle from back in High School. I shouldn't be looking at the pictures cause I will really start wanting to go back and get it. Note the CB antena's.  LOL!!!!

customtouch

Well it is looking pretty good so far. I pulled the prop and dug all the dirt out of the exhaust, pulled the plugs and squirted some 2-stroke oil in the cylinders, freed up and oiled the bendix, built a make shift gas tank, hooked a battery up to it and after a little cranking it fired right up. This was the most dependable boat I have ever had and even after 23yrs in a field it still didn't let me down. I am going to run a compression check on it today and if that is good I will go ahead with the restoration. I learned to ski behind this boat, taught my kids how to ski behind it, and now that they are ready I plan to teach my grand kids how to ski behind it. Got to love those old Evinrudes!!!!

customtouch

Thanks guys. Well I ran the compression check on it and it was 120 across the board.  jump.gif So now it is full steam ahead to the back burner until I get caught up a little. :smile24:

Crusader

Dave...before taking her out in the water and regardless how much water is going out of the pee hole when on the hose, PLEASE replace your water pump (impeller). I will guarantee you that it is dry rotted.....especially after not being used for 23 years. I replace the impeller on my whacker every other season.

Also, go ahead and change out the lower unit gear lube......