what happen here ?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't feel too bad Billy, you are not alone. I got bit by my machinist, just pulled my heads and look what I found! :smile20:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Millings that were in an oil passage! They found the crank and tried to lock it up. It would start, but not idle. I guess that stressed the pistons out! :smile15:

Trigger

You guys have some bad luck :smile25: stay away from me. Lol

All these horror stories makes me want to sell mine. :smile20:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
If I hadn't trusted the statement that the block was prepped and ready for assembly. It would still be running today. So I will always re-clean all my freshly cleaned parts! :smile30: Lesson learned. :smile24:

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
It would take just over 2 drums of fuel to pay for the difference of what the new pistons will cost ..
If I decided to go to an event .I don't really want to have to carry 20-30 gallon with me for a long weekend . 10 gallon a day would be pretty conservative ..
If I keep the 13.4 compression - I might make just over 900 HP - Go to a pump gas set up - I think we will be close to 800 Hp .So it the extra 100 Hp worth it for the 8.00 a gallon fuel .. If I need that 100 more HP . I cheap nitrous system will easily do that .. But I don't really want to use nitrous for a lake boat ..
Big a$$ blower deal would be the best for me .. LOL

Good points Billy but I do think you could make over 800hp from some of the builds I've seen. Personally I think you should stick around 700hp so I'll have a chance!  :smile16:

Hell my 598 pump gas with blower 7.1 comp made 1100 took the blower off and put two dominators and 7.1 comp still made 740hp
Then my 555 pump gas made 850
And my last 565 I still have, made close to 900hp no mixture straight up 93 pump gas! So I got tons of faith in yours billy it can be done shoot for 800+ cause I am for ya!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Mike S said:
Hell my 598 pump gas with blower 7.1 comp made 1100 took the blower off and put two dominators and 7.1 comp still made 740hp
Then my 555 pump gas made 850
And my last 565 I still have, made close to 900hp no mixture straight up 93 pump gas! So I got tons of faith in yours billy it can be done shoot for 800+ cause I am for ya!!
I believe it! :smile16:

73 Sanger Flat

Loren - I don;t think you have anything to worry about . You can out drive me all day and you boat is FAST
Mike- would you mind giving me the cam specs on the engines that made over 800 HP ..
I have emailed Isky and Comp cams to see what they recommend on a 10.2 pump gas deal ..

Carnivalride

Loren - I don;t think you have anything to worry about . You can out drive me all day and you boat is FAST
Mike- would you mind giving me the cam specs on the engines that made over 800 HP ..
I have emailed Isky and Comp cams to see what they recommend on a 10.2 pump gas deal ..

It maybe fast for what it is but 660' is not its strongest run. lol

If you want big power pick the cam on the bottom of the page or 2 up for better manners. lol

I'll see if I can find it, but I do know it was a custom ground cam from BULLET and 740/750 lift?

Also one thing that will help if you don't know them big inch pump gas motors love lots of fuel when I took my twin dominator set up off my race car and it went back single, I took that set up and put it on my boat motor while building the motor for it, on the dyno it went from 97 jets square (from the race gas set up) to 106 square and gained 40hp now that was two dominator! Single carb might get even bigger so if your engine guys don't know this they will most likely need to jet you dominator up when it comes time!! Or if you ask me just buy a second dominator that matches yours and a intake, and gain even more power! Then when/if you decide to go blower later you have the carbs to work with!  :smile30:

73 Sanger Flat

Got the new pistons and the oil pick up tube last night from UPS .. Getting a little closer .. I believe Randy will get the cam from Bullet . It will be a custom grind ..
I can not believe how bad the skirts were scared up from the metal bouncing around in the bottom end .. I asked if we could re use them , We would have to have them glass beaded and then coated .. So looks like I have another set of pistons for paper weights .. That makes three sets of nice paper weight pistons that I will have in my scrap pile ..
Need to see if I can sell the rods off of the old piston sets .. I have one set that are Callies H - Beam 6.8 long that have maybe 6 hours run time on them and the other set are .400 longer than stock , so whatever that is and not sure the brand ( Lunatie I believe )They were in the engine with a 4.0 stroke crank and a tall deck block  ,  they are H- Beams also .. Let me know if anyone need theses . I make a sweet deal on them ..

73 Sanger Flat

Mike Not sure on the one that came out of the 516.. Was told they were .400 longer than stock .. I will dig them out and let you know this weekend if i can find some markings on them .. I do not have good enough measuring tools to measure them so if they are not marked then I will not be sure on them ..
The one that are the Callies are 6.8 long and was on a 4.25 crank with a 1.270 pin height in a 10.2 block . I know because we bought them .. ..
I will check this weekend

ChryslerJet

Billy Good to hear the parts are coming in and it will be going back together soon.  Hoping to get one of my motors back together soon too.