Wet sanding.

EMBRACETHEHATE

Back of my transom needs it bad. Sun beat on it for alot of years sitting in the boat lift. Is this something a novice could do? Rest of the boat just needs a good polish. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

customtouch

Need a little more information on what you are dealing with and trying to accomplish. I.E. is it gel coat or paint, metal flake or solid color, and the extent of the oxidation. Also some close up pictures would be a big help.

EMBRACETHEHATE

Its gel coat, its just dull no gloss or shine anymore and it has a few stains.
azuja4ez.jpg

nyhaze8e.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KONA77

I've use rubbing compounds of every brand and consistancy,  and eventually got the gel to gloss,  long before i'd wet sand it...  but that's me...  good luck with it

EMBRACETHEHATE

So is it possible to get the same effect by hand? I really don't wanna buy a damn $150 buffer.....

KONA77

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
So is it possible to get the same effect by hand? I really don't wanna buy a damn $150 buffer.....

I have,  but you're gonna put a lot of work into it,  I just kept buffing/polishing on it after every use and any free time i had,  now this was on a boat that was '73 glastron and was used in salt water,  from what I've seen with your boat in the pics,  some time and effort should get you the results your looking for,  but that's just me,  some peeps don't want to put the effort into it

customtouch

EMBRACETHEHATE said:

I agree with Kona's earlier post that color sanding should be tried only if just buffing alone won't do it. You will need to get some of the old red "heavy duty" compound that has an abrasive in it to do the initial cut, which a lot of paint stores no longer carry. Most of the newer compounds are more of a polish and designed for paint so they don't have any abrasives in them, but you should be able to get it at West Marine or any place that sells gel coat. No bigger of an area than you are dealing with, you can probably get you one of these small detail buffing pads and use it on an air, electric, or a cordless drill set on high speed setting & save yourself some money. You want to be sure and put a good coat of wax on it after you buff it to keep it from fading back out again too fast. The part number for the 3M pad is 05720NA and they are not real expensive. It is not exactly rocket science so if you want to try it yourself, give me a call and I can give you a more detailed explanation of the process rather than trying to type it out.

David  512-423-7889

KONA77

customtouch said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:

I agree with Kona's earlier post that color sanding should be tried only if just buffing alone won't do it. You will need to get some of the old red "heavy duty" compound that has an abrasive in it to do the initial cut, which a lot of paint stores no longer carry. Most of the newer compounds are more of a polish and designed for paint so they don't have any abrasives in them, but you should be able to get it at West Marine or any place that sells gel coat. No bigger of an area than you are dealing with, you can probably get you one of these small detail buffing pads and use it on an air, electric, or a cordless drill set on high speed setting & save yourself some money. You want to be sure and put a good coat of wax on it after you buff it to keep it from fading back out again too fast. The part number for the 3M pad is 05720NA and they are not real expensive. It is not exactly rocket science so if you want to try it yourself, give me a call and I can give you a more detailed explanation of the process rather than trying to type it out.

David  512-423-7889

this is the guy you need to listen to,  he pretty much summed it up...  clap.gif

EMBRACETHEHATE

customtouch said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:

David  512-423-7889
ok great thanks a bunch! That makes it more clear then!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

TX-19 SBC

Where are you located??  Before you start you should have someone with lots of painting and buffing out experience look at your boat in person.  I am in Dallas, but I work in sales so I travel North Texas, East Texas and Northern Louisiana, but could go south as far as the Waco area.

I think you have the original gel coat.

EMBRACETHEHATE

TX-19 SBC said:
Where are you located??  Before you start you should have someone with lots of painting and buffing out experience look at your boat in person.  I am in Dallas, but I work in sales so I travel North Texas, East Texas and Northern Louisiana, but could go south as far as the Waco area.

I think you have the original gel coat.
yes it is the original gel coat. The boat is in Marble falls which is 60 miles north of Austin. Its on lake LBJ.

EMBRACETHEHATE

KONA said:
ok, we know now where the boat is,  so bring it home get to work on it....    crazy.gif
easier said then done, I work 5 12s sometimes a 10 on Saturday.

ChryslerJet

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
KONA said:
ok, we know now where the boat is,  so bring it home get to work on it....    crazy.gif
easier said then done, I work 5 12s sometimes a 10 on Saturday.

Talk to David bring it to him or him to it on a SUnday provide lots o beer