Texasjet's New Adventure

Devilman

Funny that the park people don't have a problem with people launching off the bank or where ever. Thats good at least. So are all the ramps on Somerville closed, at the other parks and stuff. I know there are some other ones, but never heard of anyone I know using them. Just sitting here thinking myself, for as long as we've been going to Somerville, we've only ran around on one small portion of the lake, lol

Devilman

Crusader said:
Once again, I loved reading your yearly adventure. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I really want to make it out there someday.

Welcome to THB Crusader. :smile16:

TexasJet

Devilman said:
Funny that the park people don't have a problem with people launching off the bank or where ever. Thats good at least. So are all the ramps on Somerville closed, at the other parks and stuff. I know there are some other ones, but never heard of anyone I know using them. Just sitting here thinking myself, for as long as we've been going to Somerville, we've only ran around on one small portion of the lake, lol

No open ramps on Somerville. Welch is the only place I know of to launch. Ross and I are going to check it out tomorrow. I have GOT to get the CP in the water. It's killing me!!!!

Crusader

Devilman said:
Crusader said:
Once again, I loved reading your yearly adventure. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I really want to make it out there someday.

Welcome to THB Crusader. :smile16:

Lol...I'm on the page daily....... Glad to be back!

Devilman

Belton looks nice. We stopped by there once to check it out. Not sure which park we went into as there are a few. One we went into was closed at the time from flooding, but the ramp was open and usable. One thing I noticed it is it is infested with those zebra mussels. Not sure if you are concerned with that, but they're there for sure, things were on everything when we were walking around.

Also saw this said about them: "We highly advise people to wear some sort of river shoe or water shoe when recreating.” Ellis said, explaining that the critters are sharp. “We have had some visitors get cut by them.”

TexasJet

Finaly got the  CP in the water. Ran great. After talking to the gate attendant it seems one of the gates at Somerville is broke and can't be opened. The can't work on it till the lake is down to  full pool.. At the current
draw down rate that will be around November 1.

Devilman

Looking at pictures of the dam, it doesn't even appear to have multiple gates. The big spillway stands out easily... and then one spot off to the side looks like the discharge. No wonder it takes so long to bring it down.

John

Kenny if they turn loose of too much water it floods out in the Brazos river bottom and the yegua creek bridge in the bottom goes under so that why its so slow coming down that and it had to wait on Whitney to empty and clear first, so Rosenberg dosent go for a swim.

John

yup jj whitney is back  to normal but it wasn't for a long time, i guess what i was saying was the Brazos river Authority's flood mitigation plan is lower whitney and PK first and then then somerville  starts to empty, but the creek somerville is impounded on cant handle much more than 1050 cfm before it starts to flood the 20 or so miles between it and the Brazos. so it takes somerville a long time to empty every time it gets high

TexasJet

Somerville is about 8 feet over full. Black and I will be camping at Overlook #107 this weekend. See ya on the lake.

Attachments

• 20190713_102609.jpg
    20190713_102609.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 144