T handle ripped out. Mounting options???

EMBRACETHEHATE

Today as I was trimming down my t handle ripped out. Old wood and screws just couldn't handle it.

How should I go about mounting this? I Dont wanna put random holes in my floor.

Here's a few pics of where it was mounted and where I may mount it. I would make a bracket to mount on the stringer.
3ytary7a.jpg

9uzy2ame.jpg
5u9uru3e.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Larger screws or... if the floor is rotted , as a temporary measure you might make a plate from aluminum stock thats larger than the shifter base and spread the contact area about a bit 

EMBRACETHEHATE

jetboatperformance said:
Larger screws or... if the floor is rotted , as a temporary measure you might make a plate from aluminum stock thats larger than the shifter base and spread the contact area about a bit
OK I think I'll do both I just don't wanna ruin my floor with it not holding.

SimplyOrange

I would do a plate as well but instead of 4 screws I would space screws around the peremeter evenly spaced and have about 10 screws in it. less likely for the screws to rip out. and don't panic, your floor probably isn't rotten, just a small space where each screw hole was is probably soft.

EMBRACETHEHATE

SimplyOrange said:
I would do a plate as well but instead of 4 screws I would space screws around the peremeter evenly spaced and have about 10 screws in it. less likely for the screws to rip out. and don't panic, your floor probably isn't rotten, just a small space where each screw hole was is probably soft.
thats good to hear! It was comical when it ripped out in my hand. Good idea with the screws. Certain type of screws?

HellinnFrnt said:
or spend the money at JBP and go hydraulic  clap.gif
This baby is all original really trying to keep it like that ;)

SimplyOrange

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
SimplyOrange said:
thats good to hear! It was comical when it ripped out in my hand. Good idea with the screws. Certain type of screws?

HellinnFrnt said:

just use stainless pan head wood screws, space them evenly apart so they look nice. install it all then pull the screws out and coat the threads with clear silicone and reinstall, itll keep the water out of the wood where they go in.

EMBRACETHEHATE

SimplyOrange said:
EMBRACETHEHATE said:
SimplyOrange said:

HellinnFrnt said:

just use stainless pan head wood screws, space them evenly apart so they look nice. install it all then pull the screws out and coat the threads with clear silicone and reinstall, itll keep the water out of the wood where they go in.
awesome thanks!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

A lot of great ideas...
But can you not just use a bigger screws?  think.gif
and a big-hell-yea to- "then remove & re-install using clear silicone!" bling.gif

EMBRACETHEHATE

veestyle said:
soak it in cider
thats dirty!

SecondAggie said:
A lot of great ideas...
But can you not just use a bigger screws?  think.gif
and a big-hell-yea to- "then remove & re-install using clear silicone!" bling.gif
I probably could but I Dont wanna chance it. Plus I think the stainless plate would look cool.

SimplyOrange

if you are careful not to scratch it up when cutting it, you can watersand with 180, 320,600,1000,2000 then polish with mothers for that chrome look, or as i would do you could give it a brushed finish with 180 sanding in one direction then wipe with alchohol and clear it.

the reason bigger screws is not a great idea is because usually where the old screws were the floor is soft in at least a 1/4" circle where the water has been seeping in past the screw, if it were mine i would build the plate, then cut the carpet out a little smaller than the plate and silicone the old screw holes then put a bead around those screw holes before i screwed the plate down so that any further decay of the floor is prevented.

$HAG NA$TY

I had my foot pedal fly off one time with my old floor.. I had replaced the screws with fat ass stainless screws.. lasted the whole summer until I replaced my 30 year old floor.. funny thing about wood is it doesnt last forever.. marine treated, mold treated or whatever.. when it gets wet then dries and gets wet again and repeats the same process over the years, it can only last so long.. Just my .02 cents if its worth anything! I'd replace that floor when summer is over...

EMBRACETHEHATE

$HAG NA$TY said:
I had my foot pedal fly off one time with my old floor.. I had replaced the screws with fat A$$ stainless screws.. lasted the whole summer until I replaced my 30 year old floor.. funny thing about wood is it doesnt last forever.. marine treated, mold treated or whatever.. when it gets wet then dries and gets wet again and repeats the same process over the years, it can only last so long.. Just my .02 cents if its worth anything! I'd replace that floor when summer is over...
then it wont be original shag nasty :)

$HAG NA$TY

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
$HAG NA$TY said:
I had my foot pedal fly off one time with my old floor.. I had replaced the screws with fat A$$ stainless screws.. lasted the whole summer until I replaced my 30 year old floor.. funny thing about wood is it doesnt last forever.. marine treated, mold treated or whatever.. when it gets wet then dries and gets wet again and repeats the same process over the years, it can only last so long.. Just my .02 cents if its worth anything! I'd replace that floor when summer is over...
then it wont be original shag nasty :)

I Don't think the floor is gunna matter with it being original or not.. Not my boat... lol :wink:

SimplyOrange

i doubt the whole floor is bad, probably about 1/2" diameter around each of the screw holes. im sure it still has a few years in it before it "needs" replacing

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Get you some Clear Penetrating Epoxy, inject it in the old holes. Let it set up, then install a slightly larger screw! :smile27: