Small Motorcycles/ATVs Banned?

Devilman

Have any of guys heard anything about this? Ran across it on PB last night.... (http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=29647) Supposedly anything from 50cc-110cc are a done deal including parts. New dealer stuff that is, I don't know how they could handle private transactions on used stuff....

Did a little searching & found these articles about it....

http://motorcycledaily.com/28january09_salesban.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/2382/Motorcycle-Article/Lead-Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

http://blogs.dirtrider.com/6470022/news/youth-atv-and-dirt-bikes-banned-by-cpsia/index.html

I don't know, it may not stick, but it sure sux, kinda makes you wonder what direction we're headed these days.... :tongue:

oldbuck40

Devilman said:
Have any of guys heard anything about this? Ran across it on PB last night.... (http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=29647) Supposedly anything from 50cc-110cc are a done deal including parts. New dealer stuff that is, I don't know how they could handle private transactions on used stuff....

Did a little searching & found these articles about it....

http://motorcycledaily.com/28january09_salesban.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/2382/Motorcycle-Article/Lead-Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

http://blogs.dirtrider.com/6470022/news/youth-atv-and-dirt-bikes-banned-by-cpsia/index.html

I don't know, it may not stick, but it sure sux, kinda makes you wonder what direction we're headed these days.... :tongue:
i saw that Kenny :smile14: just goes to show how stupid the dumb bastards are and their thinking process!

They should have started with the Playstations! x-box, blah blah blah!!! you know where they are all built and too they will make your kids fat and lazy!

Devilman

oldbuck40 said:
i saw that Kenny :smile14: just goes to show how stupid the dumb bastards are and their thinking process!

They should have started with the Playstations! x-box, blah blah blah!!! you know where they are all built and too they will make your kids fat and lazy!

What also sux is the ripple effect it will have. I saw this posted this morning:

"As you'll see here in a minute this post follows the path from "MX Sports", myself & others, asking
1-n-all to write to their congressman & or senator about all this NEW government rule effecting what we all love. Youth motorcycling is at the core, & it's future. The future of many of our favorite pastimes is being challanged, & the "MIC & AMA" are going to fight it.

I just read an article over at "Cycle News.com", & this guy goes to his favorite local Kawasaki dealer to get a new "OE" throttle tube for his "KLX650". A total no-brainer!
The dealer says, "can't sell ya 1, as it's the same throttle tube for a "KX65", & since "Uncle Sam" is all about this crazy new rule against "Mini's" , can't help ya,???? WOW........

Sure, he can go "aftermarket", but that's not the point!
So hey, everyone spread the news, do something, don't just
chat about it over a brew & "STOP THE INSANITY"......
What's next?"

That is just plain retarded... Did you also see where the "ban" may also affect BICYCLES with handbrakes, cause of the content in the brake cables? Yeah, ya heard me, bicycles.... Where does it end..... :smile14:

I hear ya on the video game stuff.... lol  :grin:

73 Sanger Flat

That is bullshit , :smile18: I was at the Motorcycle shop in Granbury last night looking at four wheeler for me and they still had the little 50  cc quads on the floor for sale . Was thinking about getting one for my grandaughter ..

I will have to talk to Mitch the owner and see if he knows about this ..

Devilman

May check into it & see whats what... Texas may still be under the radar so to speak?  Hell, my wife had even heard of this deal before me. When I mentioned this last night, she says, "oh yeah, I saw that the other day..."

That link with the letter to Honda shows to have gone out at the end of January, apparently its been in the works for a little while now...  :rolleyes:

oldbuck40

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/draftphthalatesguidance.pdf

sounds like someone jumped the gun on this a little!

oldbuck40

Devilman said:
What is that there? Its a .PDF file, I can't open it..... :tongue:
its just an outline on what defines a "toy" Its child protective services stuff and its going to be introduced to help stop this insanity like the motorcycle deal!

seems to me someone jumped the gun on the ban and the CPS deal is helping to prove the point they did jump the gun.

Devilman

oldbuck40 said:
its just an outline on what defines a "toy" Its child protective services stuff and its going to be introduced to help stop this insanity like the motorcycle deal!

seems to me someone jumped the gun on the ban and the CPS deal is helping to prove the point they did jump the gun.

I gotcha.... Thats cool, should help 'em get all that crap sorted out, hopefully sooner than later seein as how CPS is involved, lol...

I don't follow the bike/atv/offroad stuff too much since I don't have any of that stuff anymore, just seein that kinda tripped me out. :grin:

oldbuck40

Devilman said:
oldbuck40 said:

I gotcha.... Thats cool, should help 'em get all that crap sorted out, hopefully sooner than later seein as how CPS is involved, lol...

I don't follow the bike/atv/offroad stuff too much since I don't have any of that stuff anymore, just seein that kinda tripped me out. :grin:
LOL YEA i think someone said "THE SKY IS FALLING" and they ran with it!

wildbunch

As of Feb. 10 anything to be used by children 12 years of age & younger can not have any parts of it containing LEAD.The ATV's & cycles paint is a lead based paint................ Hell that's the reason I buy one of these for my kids..so they can chew on it... LOL  :smile23:    This is the most stupid idea I have ever heard of. I can see toddlers toys banning lead paint products, but come on.......... :smile18:

Devilman

Guess they didn't get it sorted out quite fast enough. Paper this morning say the cycle shops around here pulled all the small bikes outta the showrooms, along with any other youth-oriented stuff, helmets, riding gear, etc....

Even if its temporary, it's nice to have the gubment looking out for everybody & their best interests......  :rolleyes:

wildbunch

Devilman said:
Guess they didn't get it sorted out quite fast enough. Paper this morning say the cycle shops around here pulled all the small bikes outta the showrooms, along with any other youth-oriented stuff, helmets, riding gear, etc....

Even if its temporary, it's nice to have the gubment looking out for everybody & their best interests......  :rolleyes:

Damn shame!!  :smile18:

duanehydro

That's a damn shame! wtf is this country coming to? I'm glad my step-son alreay has one..I wonder what it'll be like growing up for his kids.  I'm just now hopping his bike up a little, and showing him what does what...if they'd just outlaw video games.....

wildbunch

Duanehydro said:
That's a damn shame! wtf is this country coming to? I'm glad my step-son alreay has one..I wonder what it'll be like growing up for his kids.  I'm just now hopping his bike up a little, and showing him what does what...if they'd just outlaw video games.....
That's going to have a major affect on the motorcycling sports such as motocross,road racing,etc......who's top pro's all started out as youngsters. I know i've had a bike all my life & I'm 51 years old. Didn't go pro....went BUDWIESER....  :smile23: :smile23: :smile23:

pro53

Duanehydro said:
I am for the video game bullshi#.  :grin: Makes LAZY kids
I was looking at buying a new bike for the boys next year. The china bikes have held up half as# for about 3 yrs. It was time for good name brand. Well I guess its gonna be used.Are they still gonna sell parts?

Devilman

pro53 said:
I am for the video game bullshi#.  :grin: Makes LAZY kids
I was looking at buying a new bike for the boys next year. The china bikes have held up half as# for about 3 yrs. It was time for good name brand. Well I guess its gonna be used.Are they still gonna sell parts?

If they don't change the guidelines, you won't be able to get anything off the shelf. All will have to be used stuff from private sources... Like OB mentioned, there is the possibility that this thing will be looked at & changed, but how long you interested in waiting? Your kids may be ready for full-size bikes before that ever happens, lol....