ROCKER ARM ALIGNMENT QUESTION

73 Sanger Flat

EOSpeed said:
ALIGN THEM THE BEST YOU CAN AND PUT SOME LASH CAPS AND RUN IT. THE ROCKER WILL HIT THE ROCKER STUD WITH A PUSH ROD THAT WILL CENTER IT. THE LASH CAP WILL MOVE IT UP.
                                                    :smile17:

I will mock it up and see where the rocker is to the stud before I order the pushrods..Then  I need to make sure the rocker will not pivot too far and hit the stud is what you are saying EO .. If it pivot too much and try to hit the rocker stud then I need the lash caps to help solve that problem by moving everything up the thickness of the lash caps .. ..
Thanks for the heads up on that ..

jimsplace

Just got the request, and no I do not have a push rod checker that's usable.
I only had one and didn't realize you were supposed to use light weight springs.
I am not sure whether I kept it or not.
If I did keep it, it's bent.
I also don't know if it was calibrated as to length vs. turns.
Sorry

73 Sanger Flat

No problem Jim .. I will have them this week anyway .. So I should have enough now to do the regular deck Chevys and the tall deck Chevys ..I have the checker spring already ..

73 Sanger Flat

Well I just about got the valve train problem all sorted out and I think I discovered another problem .. I think the larger valves in the heads are hitting the valve relief in the flat top pistons .. I was rolling the engine over and notice that it would get hard to turn in a couple of spots .. I thought hell it is just the compression, so I pulled the plugs out and it did not help .. So after I got both heads off and clearanced them for the pushrods , I decide I would just throw some metal die into the valve relief area and stuck one head on and I believe the valve is touching the piston in the vertical part of the valve relief .. Going to go get some clay today on the way home and check again tonight .. I sure hope I am wrong on this and they are not hitting .. I may be pulling the pistons out and having them cut the valve reliefs out a little bigger ..  Freaking engine is going to kill me ..
Who has a complete running engine making 650-800 HP that they want to sell ??

FL350

Administrator
Sorry to hear about all the problems Billy. I'll just keep sticking with what I have. Simplicity

73 Sanger Flat

Stacey- That is what I want also ..
getting ready to pull my old 461 out and rebuild it and stick it in the boat and go have some fun with it .Then again , I have a nice 4.25 crank I could shove into it with some new rods and pistons and make a 496 pretty easy ..  Looking like this summer I will not have the boat out now ..
Just about ready to sell this thing .. I had a guy from California yesterday trying to buy it from me .. Maybe that is a sign to get rid of it .. I know David in Tyler wants first chance at it because it was his good buddy Max who owned it before me.. 
Serous - does anyone have a good stout engine fore sale ?

FL350

Administrator
Dont' sell it! I'd put that 496 in it. When we were at the circle boat races there were guys that running Big Chief stuff, and our little superstock engine finished when a couple couldn't. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges on the circle and drag stuff but simplicity and reliability go along way.

Devilman

Hate to hear about the issues Billy, I can see why you would be frustrated. I wouldn't sell the boat though. Maybe take a breather from the big engine for awhile & use that other one you have. Get you out on the water & enjoying the boat until you get the big engine sorted out. I dunno, I'm probably not the best one to listen to, I stuck a "temporary" engine in the boat to finish a season & its still in there almost 8 years later, lol..

Good luck with it though, you will get it.

73 Sanger Flat

I would do that , but the other engine has 8 years on it and needs to be rebuilt before it goes back in the boat .. The Plowman event that made the performance magazine is the last time I ran the old engine and it was in storage like 4 years before that .. So it need to be rebuilt before I drop it in the boat ..
Maybe I should focus on that rebuild and put the big engine in the corner of the shop and cover it up ..
Kenny --that old 4x4 engine has treated you good .. I would run it until is stops running
You know how it get , I want to work on the Camaro . I have an overdrive manual transmission ( TKO-5) I want to install in it and all new front end parts .. Just need time and money to do it ..

Devilman

It seems like it would get you on the water quicker with a lot less headache. It still ran pretty frikkin good with the other engine in it so not like you'd be sticking a 4 cylinder in it or something, lol.

ya, it has treated me pretty good, I can't complain. I just wonder when it goes, will it go quietly or with a bang. :grin: Know what ya mean about the other projects & toys. I have a couple of those myself that have been neglected due to time & money constraints. Seems like its always something.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Go with which ever one would be more reliable! That way you are happier with the boat. And you could run a season with out working on it and get your Camaro done! :smile30:

jimsplace

Billy
I'm sorry to hear about the potential valve to piston issue.
As you know, I don't know near as much about engines as some, but if you can get one of the valve springs off, but leave a valve still in place,
I would move the valve up and down with your fingers to see if you feel anything touching first.
Then pull the valve up (into the seat) and measure its height with your calipers, then push it down until it hits the piston and measure that.
The difference would be the maximum valve lift available.
If that seems to check out and it gives enough clearance, then check it with the clay.

Checking it with the clay and with everything in place and it hits, it is possible to bend a valve.

If this isn't a good idea, please chime in.  It wont hurt my feelings.
It's just a thought.
Good luck

Once you get it running, you'll have a good piece that should run well.
Even if it takes a little more time, it'll be worth the time.

If you spend a few thousand dollars on another engine, you won't be happy with it.
For that money you could take what you have to someone and have them do the work and get you back on the water
quicker than buying another engine and converting it to your needs. IMO

duanehydro

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Stacey- That is what I want also ..
getting ready to pull my old 461 out and rebuild it and stick it in the boat and go have some fun with it .Then again , I have a nice 4.25 crank I could shove into it with some new rods and pistons and make a 496 pretty easy ..  Looking like this summer I will not have the boat out now ..
Just about ready to sell this thing .. I had a guy from California yesterday trying to buy it from me .. Maybe that is a sign to get rid of it .. I know David in Tyler wants first chance at it because it was his good buddy Max who owned it before me.. 
Serous - does anyone have a good stout engine fore sale ?
I'm interested in the crank if it would help fund anything.... :smile16:

73 Sanger Flat

Duane - right now I am hanging onto everything until I decide what to do .. EO wanted the 4.25 crank if I decide to sell it .. But we may be leaning to go back to a 565 build to get more RPM out of this deal ..
JJ - Not sure if the Pontoon is ready to go .. Might just show up and visit with everyone, Wayne told me I could ride with him and J ..  .. I have a graduations to go to tonight and will not have time to get pontoon ready ..

73 Sanger Flat

the 555 and 496 should turn the same RPM correct .. Both would have the 4.25 stroke crank .. Or would the smaller cubes turn more RPM with the same 4.25 crack .. Or would the 468 chevy with a 4.00 crank turn more RPM ..
Those big cubic inch motor make up the RPM in the Torque though ..

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
the 555 and 496 should turn the same RPM correct .. Both would have the 4.25 stroke crank .. Or would the smaller cubes turn more RPM with the same 4.25 crack .. Or would the 468 chevy with a 4.00 crank turn more RPM ..
Those big cubic inch motor make up the RPM in the Torque though ..

Stroke with the same crank and the rpm would have the same limitations.
All else being the same, the additional 59 cubic inches would be worth another easy 70 - 100 horsepower.
Another thing would be, what heads you run.  Big valves require big bore to clear the valve.  Smaller valves might limit breathing
on big motor.
Lots of what ifs'.  IMO

73 Sanger Flat

Ok - I for sure have valve to piston clearance issue .. The larger valves in thew Brodix 3 Extra heads are hitting the JE flat tops pistons with one valve relief ..  I painted the blue dye on the piston relief area and then I added some modeling clay to I could get an impression of the contact area .. As you can see the valves cut through the clay and actually took off some of the blue dye on the pistons ..This was done with the .050 FelPro gasket and valve lash st cold at .020  with the push-rods that was in the engine .. I reassemble the engine and have it sealed up and it is going to Galen in Kansas City Mo and he is going to work on it for me .. Then off to the Dyno and test , have two cam and two carbs we can test on it .. Which ever one does the best will stay in it .. No hurry to get it back , so maybe this winter i will be putting the engine back in the boat .. Think of all the  money i will save this year .. YEAH !!!!
Look like I will be on the Pontoon boat this year and kicking back and watching all of you burn that good gas and making some good passes .. Might haul your fuel ,your  cooler and any extra women around for free .. LOL